Author Topic: Michael Taylor superstar  (Read 57722 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Michael Taylor superstar
« Reply #250: April 24, 2016, 11:11:25 PM »
You saw the unreviewable play, right? Wiped out a double play

Those plays wash out by the end of the season but today was not a great one for him.

But it didn't. Are you saying he didn't make good contact? That's fair... to say he didn't have a good game, is not.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #251: April 24, 2016, 11:39:07 PM »
But it didn't. Are you saying he didn't make good contact? That's fair... to say he didn't have a good game, is not.
He blew a bunt. Popped it in the air. It wasn't good contact. It was a crap happens play but he hasn't been making good plays which let you wave off those bad plays.

If your point is at the end of the season it'll just be two more hits in the state column, you're right. The plays happened. But I'm not going to say he had a good day. He got lucky. He'll have days where he's unlucky and it'll even out, but today was not that day.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #252: April 24, 2016, 11:51:31 PM »
Yeah, he was pretty crummy today. Popping up a bunt? Brutal. He got very lucky -- the replay looked like it was caught anyways

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #253: April 25, 2016, 01:16:09 AM »
He blew a bunt. Popped it in the air. It wasn't good contact. It was a crap happens play but he hasn't been making good plays which let you wave off those bad plays.

If your point is at the end of the season it'll just be two more hits in the state column, you're right. The plays happened. But I'm not going to say he had a good day. He got lucky. He'll have days where he's unlucky and it'll even out, but today was not that day.

By that logic, Harper got lucky he didn't strike out looking. But it still counted.

I'm not being difficult... but getting on base 3 times in a game and playing his usual great defense helped the Nats win today.

Offline whytev

« Reply #254: April 25, 2016, 03:24:02 AM »
By that logic, Harper got lucky he didn't strike out looking. But it still counted.

I'm not being difficult... but getting on base 3 times in a game and playing his usual great defense helped the Nats win today.

Everyone is right. He got on twice, he didn't look great at the plate, his glove plays.

Dusty doesn't look at stats. He looks at performance. Taylor looked bad at the plate. That's why he was bunting. That's why he came out. den Dekker looked great. All game.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #255: April 25, 2016, 04:41:57 AM »
Actually, getting Dusty to change from Taylor to DenDekker will be like a call challenge - there will have to be overwhelming evidence.  That doesn't exist yet.

Everyone is right. He got on twice, he didn't look great at the plate, his glove plays.

Dusty doesn't look at stats. He looks at performance. Taylor looked bad at the plate. That's why he was bunting. That's why he came out. den Dekker looked great. All game.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #256: April 25, 2016, 08:56:45 AM »
Taylor better watch out for Brian Goodwin in Syracuse, as well as denDekker. He needs some time in AAA.

Offline expofan

« Reply #257: April 25, 2016, 10:55:29 AM »
I did not see many games this year . are they pitching him all breaking balls or he is also missing the fastballs ? We all know he had big problems with the off speed stuff and the breaking balls but he was on the fastball. Is it the same scenario this year?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #258: April 25, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
He can't stop swinging at stuff out of the zone with 2 strikes (breaking balls or FBs)

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #259: April 25, 2016, 01:24:05 PM »
I love Michael Taylor and hope he becomes a star.  But when Revere comes up its Taylor and not Den Dekker that should be sent down.  I think it would be a blessing in disguise for Taylor to be able to work on his game out of the spotlight.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #260: April 25, 2016, 02:00:12 PM »
I did not see many games this year . are they pitching him all breaking balls or he is also missing the fastballs ? We all know he had big problems with the off speed stuff and the breaking balls but he was on the fastball. Is it the same scenario this year?

I think he's getting  a steady diet of breaking balls. I don't think anyone is gonna give him a fastball any time soon. The scouting reports are probably full of this info and if it's easy to get him out on breaking stuff, that's what they're gonna give him.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #261: April 26, 2016, 02:46:32 AM »
He can't stop swinging at stuff out of the zone with 2 strikes (breaking balls or FBs)

This pretty much sums it up. Strikes at outside sliders and high chedder. I hope that he gets sent down and finds his groove and hopefully can keep it going this time. I expected a drop off from spring training, but not this bad.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #262: April 26, 2016, 08:02:35 AM »
Some guys can't, and are still successful.  The trick is to not let the count get to two strikes.  Shorten the swing on the first two strikes.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #263: April 26, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »
Some guys can't, and are still successful.  The trick is to not let the count get to two strikes.  Shorten the swing on the first two strikes.

I've noticed him trying to choke up, but it's still not working. He just needs reps and to develop an eye. Hell, go full Werth for awhile and swing at nothing, just to get a freaking feel up at the plate

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #264: April 26, 2016, 08:52:13 PM »
I can't agree here - MT has been hitting better with each week.  Defensively, no one is better

I love Michael Taylor and hope he becomes a star.  But when Revere comes up its Taylor and not Den Dekker that should be sent down.  I think it would be a blessing in disguise for Taylor to be able to work on his game out of the spotlight.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #265: April 26, 2016, 09:37:18 PM »
Another hit for MAT

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #266: April 26, 2016, 10:32:16 PM »
Another hit for MAT

Must have been an early post.   :)

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #267: May 06, 2016, 06:48:42 AM »
I can't agree here - MT has been hitting better with each week.  Defensively, no one is better

The MAT experiment should be over. He looks pathetic swinging at obvious ball fours . He is channeling Desmond.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #268: May 06, 2016, 07:17:05 AM »
I admit - the strikeouts are getting to me

The MAT experiment should be over. He looks pathetic swinging at obvious ball fours . He is channeling Desmond.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #269: May 06, 2016, 08:10:08 AM »
He also looks pretty bad in centerfield.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #270: May 06, 2016, 08:30:21 AM »
He also looks pretty bad in centerfield.
until last night, I would not have said that, but last night he looked like he could not handle Wrigley. maybe it is the park.  We'll notice a decline in defense when Revere is out there, but MAT is just overmatched at the plate in the majors.  He's at a point in his career where if he does not pick up a better plate approach, he's Justin Maxwell 2.0.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #271: May 06, 2016, 09:08:11 AM »
Wrigley is a mindfrig for a lot of outfielders. It's the fear of hitting that wall and not really being able to judge depth because everything is hidden under ivy. It messes with guys' heads unless they play there a lot.  It's like that ridiculous flagpole in Houston. I heard that the Vegas bookies factor in the Wrigley wall when setting their odds, since it gives the home team a real advantage; but I don't know if that's true or not.

As to MAT, I tend to agree that a little time in Syracuse would be a good idea right about now. I think he's fix-able.  I think it'll be easier to fix him if he's not on the major league stage.  He's a talented guy but I think they rushed his development and they need to backtrack a bit and get him properly groomed up.  I don't think he needs the whole rest of the season in AAA but a nice stretch to the All Star Break and then re-evaluate.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #272: May 06, 2016, 09:23:57 AM »
There are three 'A's in Michael A Taylor. That's not a coincidence. That's remarkable foresight by his parents. Please, please send him where he belongs, Rizzo.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #273: May 06, 2016, 09:45:46 AM »
There are three 'A's in Michael A Taylor. That's not a coincidence. That's remarkable foresight by his parents. Please, please send him where he belongs, Rizzo.
Taylor could tear it up at AAA and it won't mean a thing as far as I'm concerned.  He tore it up in Spring Training, which is essentially AAA. It is said that we all rise to our level of incompetence.  His level is major league pitching.  Yes, for sure, send him to AAA. But not for more development. Send him there to pile up numbers and rehabilitate his reputation, so we can get something for him in trade.  He will never be a major league hitter.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #274: May 06, 2016, 09:52:27 AM »
Taylor could tear it up at AAA and it won't mean a thing as far as I'm concerned.  He tore it up in Spring Training, which is essentially AAA. It is said that we all rise to our level of incompetence.  His level is major league pitching.  Yes, for sure, send him to AAA. But not for more development. Send him there to pile up numbers and rehabilitate his reputation, so we can get something for him in trade.  He will never be a major league hitter.

Not sure what part of my quote makes you think I disagree. I say you nailed it. Let him make some other GM's eyes go wide with excitement at the thought of the potential tools.