Author Topic: Home Improvement Thread  (Read 29153 times)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Re: Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #225: May 23, 2016, 12:33:28 PM »
Don't turn on your cellphone and hire other people.

Eh, I actually prefer buying cell phones used. Smartphones now, you can run diagnostics tests and visually inspect for wear-and-tear. Much better than getting gouged by a providers that wants $600+ for a damn cell phone. No bueno. Haven't paid more than $100 for a new phone. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #226: May 23, 2016, 12:39:06 PM »
Eh, I actually prefer buying cell phones used. Smartphones now, you can run diagnostics tests and visually inspect for wear-and-tear. Much better than getting gouged by a providers that wants $600+ for a damn cell phone. No bueno. Haven't paid more than $100 for a new phone. 

I have to hit "A" three times to type a "C".     :old:

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #227: May 23, 2016, 01:21:54 PM »
I have to hit "A" three times to type a "C".     :old:

The ol' T9. Classic

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #228: May 23, 2016, 01:33:31 PM »
Can you say more about diagnostics?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #229: May 23, 2016, 02:19:52 PM »
Can you say more about diagnostics?

Here's a ton of Android codes: http://www.redmondpie.com/hidden-android-secret-codes-for-samsung-htc-motorola-sony-lg-and-other-devices/

I usually meet at an AT&T store (my provider, but all will do this) with a charging cable and run the test. While it's going, I'll give the rep at the store the IMEI for the phone to make sure it's not stolen/blacklisted. If anyone's shifty about this, it's an immediate no go.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #230: May 23, 2016, 02:22:34 PM »
Fascinating. Thanks.

Here's a ton of Android codes: http://www.redmondpie.com/hidden-android-secret-codes-for-samsung-htc-motorola-sony-lg-and-other-devices/

I usually meet at an AT&T store (my provider, but all will do this) with a charging cable and run the test. While it's going, I'll give the rep at the store the IMEI for the phone to make sure it's not stolen/blacklisted. If anyone's shifty about this, it's an immediate no go.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #231: June 03, 2016, 06:44:54 PM »
Anyone in the NoVA region heard of a company called Granite Source?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #232: June 03, 2016, 07:27:51 PM »
Has anyone used an "Egg" smoker? 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #233: June 03, 2016, 07:29:46 PM »

My son-in-law has one and swears by it.  He is fully involved...

They had a booth at the Chelsea Flower Show when we were there last week...seems to have a huge following...

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #234: June 03, 2016, 07:30:01 PM »

Looks like a cool one for nice, slow smoking.

• babble on
« Reply #235: June 03, 2016, 07:31:51 PM »
So - materially better than, say, a trad Weber? 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #236: June 03, 2016, 07:33:26 PM »

No clue...I just know something like that, that costs that much, better be primo...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #237: June 03, 2016, 07:38:34 PM »

Is that like an egg bong?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #238: June 03, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »

super insulated so it can both maintain low temps and get a lot higher than a Webber, but far more fragile (enormous piece of cermic vs thin metal) and much more expensive

Offline Slateman

« Reply #239: June 03, 2016, 07:41:05 PM »

• babble on
« Reply #240: June 03, 2016, 07:45:29 PM »
Hmm, sounds cool but having looked up the prices online, perhaps not all that well suited to this 'hood  :lol:

We'd have to hire 24/7 Pinkertons to guard it.  Or Blackwater.   

super insulated so it can both maintain low temps and get a lot higher than a Webber, but far more fragile (enormous piece of cermic vs thin metal) and much more expensive

Offline GburgNatsFan

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #242: June 03, 2016, 08:39:47 PM »

I usually fry my eggs. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #243: June 03, 2016, 08:44:36 PM »
Those look really good.  A store here in OBX gives out samples cooked on the Green Egg.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #244: June 03, 2016, 09:00:08 PM »
How serious do you intend to be about smoking?

• babble on
« Reply #245: June 03, 2016, 09:09:19 PM »
Honestly, not all that serious.  My basement tenants are foodies of sorts, but I figure the old charcoal Weber in back that hasn't been used in years is an adequate nod to those interests.  I'd get a lot more into outdoor cooking if I didn't live in the inner city where everything of any value has to come in at night. 
How serious do you intend to be about smoking?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #246: June 03, 2016, 09:31:49 PM »
You might want to look into electric pellet smokers, with decent pellets, it's impossible to tell the difference between the easy way and the old fashioned way, and its just a matter of selecting a temp flipping a switch and going away for a few hours

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #247: June 17, 2016, 12:18:51 PM »
Our 14 year old house is in dire need of window replacement.  In probably half of the windows, the seal between the two panes of glass has ruptured, allowing water to seep in from the outside and make its way inside.  These are cheap Ryan Homes single-hung windows.

Has anyone done a full house window replacement and if so what was your experience/cost?  is it possible to just replace the upper/lower halves of the window without ripping apart walls/removing siding to replace the entire frame?  We're looking at replacing 21 windows, plus four windows with transoms.  We've already replaced a large paladin window and a front door due to leakage/water damage.

I'm also looking for suggestions for window companies.  I have a local guy who uses Alside that i'll probably end up using as his prices are very reasonable and he's done quality work for us in the past.  But i'm interested in any feedback on the guys who are all over the radio - window nation, thompson creek, etc.

• babble on
« Reply #248: June 17, 2016, 12:57:55 PM »
We replaced 35 original windows...7 with glass block and 28 with "Renewal by Andersen".  They aren't cheap, but they are essentially the last time you will ever need to think about a window again.  I have also heard good things about Pella.
Our 14 year old house is in dire need of window replacement.  In probably half of the windows, the seal between the two panes of glass has ruptured, allowing water to seep in from the outside and make its way inside.  These are cheap Ryan Homes single-hung windows.

Has anyone done a full house window replacement and if so what was your experience/cost?  is it possible to just replace the upper/lower halves of the window without ripping apart walls/removing siding to replace the entire frame?  We're looking at replacing 21 windows, plus four windows with transoms.  We've already replaced a large paladin window and a front door due to leakage/water damage.

I'm also looking for suggestions for window companies.  I have a local guy who uses Alside that i'll probably end up using as his prices are very reasonable and he's done quality work for us in the past.  But i'm interested in any feedback on the guys who are all over the radio - window nation, thompson creek, etc.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #249: June 17, 2016, 12:59:53 PM »
We replaced 35 original windows...7 with glass block and 28 with "Renewal by Andersen".  They aren't cheap, but they are essentially the last time you will ever need to think about a window again.  I have also heard good things about Pella.

Our house has Andersen Windows- we've had to replace the pulley mechanism that prevents them from just slamming down when unlocked on two windows