Author Topic: Home Improvement Thread  (Read 29622 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #275: June 25, 2016, 10:04:30 PM »
My CC bill from eating out was insanely high for me.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #276: June 26, 2016, 08:06:11 AM »
Well done, Slate...just having our house torn up for 2 weeks removing wallpaper and painting drove us nuts.  Can't say we'd have had the appetite for a 3-4 month project...

But he got to eat out a lot.    :)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #277: February 16, 2017, 03:23:26 PM »
Anyone haev experience with manual tile cutters? Reading a lot of things online that say for a mosaic tile backsplash, I should use a manual tile cutter.  Thoughts?

My wife picked out a backsplash that has glass and stone in it (mesh back)

What is the best way to cut it? I see a lot of message boards say a manual cutter is the best for glass. Will it also cut stone? Is their a wet saw blade that won't mess up the glass pieces?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #278: February 16, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »
Anyone haev experience with manual tile cutters? Reading a lot of things online that say for a mosaic tile backsplash, I should use a manual tile cutter.  Thoughts?

You're going to defer to us instead of "the experts"?  :mg:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #279: February 16, 2017, 08:08:53 PM »
You're going to defer to us instead of "the experts"?  :mg:
Gotta be at least a journeyman round here

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #280: February 16, 2017, 09:20:07 PM »
I think it's hard to use a wet saw on tile with a net backing - or really any small tile. A tile cutter with a carbide wheel to score the glass/glazing and a  lever will snap it just fine.   Netted tile stays still, scoring wheel gets dragged over it. As opposed to trying to push it through a wet saw while it's squirming around, trying to separate itself from its net backing.

Stone... I don't know. Although, when I've cut large flagstones, I've done it by scoring and snapping (on a much larger scale).

My wife picked out a backsplash that has glass and stone in it (mesh back)

What is the best way to cut it? I see a lot of message boards say a manual cutter is the best for glass. Will it also cut stone? Is their a wet saw blade that won't mess up the glass pieces?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #281: February 16, 2017, 09:22:25 PM »
Gotta be at least a journeyman round here

I fear no job. 

I have effed up a couple of them though.    :-[ 

Plumbing would appear to not be my strong suit.  And my record with electrical is a bit spotty.  Many successes, but that one shock was memorable. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #283: May 21, 2017, 08:23:05 PM »
Lg. That Double oven looks too small to cook a turkey or large roast.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #284: May 22, 2017, 10:10:11 AM »
Lg. That Double oven looks too small to cook a turkey or large roast.

I don't know much about cooking (in an oven) but I had the same thought as you.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #285: May 22, 2017, 11:17:55 AM »
We have the older version of that Whirlpool oven and love it. The small top oven (which heats up fast and is smaller, therefore more efficient) is big enough for everyday and the bottom oven is definitely big enough for a turkey. Maybe not the world's biggest turkey, but an average turkey fits just fine. (Do you really want to be cooking for a crowd on Thanksgiving or Christmas? I'm guessing "no.")

Which oven should I get?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-6-3-cu-ft-self-cleaning-slide-in-electric-range-with-probake-convection-stainless-steel/4350100.p?skuId=4350100&ref=199&loc=je6NUbpObpQ&acampID=1&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-UMsEuFae1bFkeeJ6zjASEQ

Or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/whirlpool-6-7-cu-ft-self-cleaning-freestanding-double-oven-electric-convection-range-stainless-steel/5204200.p?skuId=5204200&ref=199&loc=je6NUbpObpQ&acampID=1&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-sjdSsXSLUHhTS9wNYXWw4w

Offline Slateman

« Reply #286: August 24, 2017, 08:05:40 PM »
What do you y'all know about toilets? :lol: Wife has bought everything else for the bathroom remodel. Apparently, I volunteered to pick the toilet.

Before you all go posting pictures of amazing toilets with scrotum massage, high powered misting bidets, and a holographic interface, I live in a condo. This isn't the forever home.

Main concern for me is it's the only toilet in the place, so I gotta have some solid flushing power.

Is there a brand or model I should look at?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #287: August 24, 2017, 08:23:45 PM »
I hate the moen plastic crap they put inside of the flush handle. We had American standard that was all metal and worked perfectly, but it was brass and the moen was brushed nickel and matched the new faucet. The nut constantly came loose, I even tried plumbers putty- nothing worked, the plastic piece that connected to the chain to pull up the stopper seemed to randomly bend and need to be rebent. It lived with it for six months before getting a $5 universal handle from ace- no issues for years now. Put me firmly in the moen hating camp

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #288: August 24, 2017, 08:33:24 PM »
Buy whatever is less expensive that you like.  Toilets don't wear out much.  Don't know if you have to get low flush types or how much space you have.  But my fat butt requires a certain size toilet seat.

What do you y'all know about toilets? :lol: Wife has bought everything else for the bathroom remodel. Apparently, I volunteered to pick the toilet.

Before you all go posting pictures of amazing toilets with scrotum massage, high powered misting bidets, and a holographic interface, I live in a condo. This isn't the forever home.

Main concern for me is it's the only toilet in the place, so I gotta have some solid flushing power.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #289: August 24, 2017, 10:06:43 PM »
Make sure you get one of the elongated ones, with the larger seating areas. I think they all flush about the same, but the guy at Home Depot will tell you if otherwise.

I like American Standard, but I don't know that it matters. (Because no one likes splatter.)

Online imref

« Reply #290: August 24, 2017, 10:25:46 PM »
Get a bidet.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #291: August 25, 2017, 03:25:36 PM »
I was at a party in a house where the master bath had a bidet with a floor to ceiling mirror across from it.  Kind of skeeved me out.   
Get a bidet.

Online imref

« Reply #292: August 25, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »
I was at a party in a house where the master bath had a bidet with a floor to ceiling mirror across from it.  Kind of skeeved me out.   

the ones that you attach to a regular toilet are getting popular in the US.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #293: August 26, 2017, 10:44:53 AM »
Ali - you are way too sensitive

Offline mitlen

« Reply #294: September 08, 2017, 02:43:31 PM »
Why are faucet hookups always behind the basin next to a wall?     :panic:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #295: September 08, 2017, 03:03:32 PM »

Knuckles are overrated

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #296: September 08, 2017, 03:36:19 PM »
It's a good place to hide the pipes needed for the faucet

Offline mitlen

« Reply #297: September 08, 2017, 03:39:48 PM »
It's a good place to hide the pipes needed for the faucet

I've got one "screw locknut" that I can't get off the hot water terminal so I can't get the fixture out.    I've tried hand loosening.    I've tried pliers.    I've tried lubricant and muscle power.    I thought about burnin' down the house but the missus thinks that would be an over reaction.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #298: September 08, 2017, 03:52:55 PM »
Can you tap the locknut with a hammer ?  Tap it lightly many times could loosen it for your pliers.

I've got one "screw locknut" that I can't get off the hot water terminal so I can't get the fixture out.    I've tried hand loosening.    I've tried pliers.    I've tried lubricant and muscle power.    I thought about burnin' down the house but the missus thinks that would be an over reaction.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #299: September 08, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »
Can you tap the locknut with a hammer ?  Tap it lightly many times could loosen it for your pliers.

That was my last plan.    I got a small tack hammer and pounded on the finger nubs.     Finally got it loose so I could use my fingers.    I don't know what the hell they put it on with (loctite  LOL).     Thanks