Author Topic: Home Improvement Thread  (Read 29138 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #301: December 12, 2017, 08:58:24 AM »
So any advice for a new Dremel tool? My battery powered dremel is on it's last throws. Likely because it has been abused and dropped for ten years.

Likely whatever I get will be an upgrade, but is there a battery powered rotary tool that is simply more powerful than the rest? And could even be used in a bracket as a drill press?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #302: December 12, 2017, 09:04:38 AM »
So any advice for a new Dremel tool? My battery powered dremel is on it's last throws. Likely because it has been abused and dropped for ten years.

Likely whatever I get will be an upgrade, but is there a battery powered rotary tool that is simply more powerful than the rest? And could even be used in a bracket as a drill press?

for what use? A dremel is a do everything but nothing that great tool, for any one task, there are probably a bunch of better options if you're willing to spend, but for being a 'dremel,' I love my dremel . I did replace it with a oscillating saw for most cutting tasks though

Online GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #303: December 12, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »
Go on ahead and be that guy.

Online Slateman

« Reply #304: December 12, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »
for what use? A dremel is a do everything but nothing that great tool, for any one task, there are probably a bunch of better options if you're willing to spend, but for being a 'dremel,' I love my dremel . I did replace it with a oscillating saw for most cutting tasks though
For exactly that. I've used it to cut small pieces of tile, sand down things, drill out wood, and a host of other things.

Go on ahead and be that guy.

(Image removed from quote.)

:lol:

Online GburgNatsFan

« Reply #305: December 12, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »
I only used the Fein grinder because I didn't think that Festool made one. :)

For exactly that. I've used it to cut small pieces of tile, sand down things, drill out wood, and a host of other things.
:lol:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #306: December 12, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »
I only used the Fein grinder because I didn't think that Festool made one. :)

they make an oscillating saw- covers a lot of what a grinder does (the thing was a lifesaver cutting out bad sections of decking without damaging any of the surrounding boards)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #307: December 12, 2017, 12:13:33 PM »
My hot water heater is in its last legs. The plumbing from folks quoted me a
Cost of 2500 installed, which seems high to me? What should I expect for a run of the mill one that’s works on gas heat?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #308: December 12, 2017, 12:17:33 PM »
That seems high. I would shop around - I know at least one of the large area plumbing chains has given me insane estimates ($740 to replace a sink shut off valve and repair a leaky pipe- I shut off the house supply for a day and waited for our local plumber to come- $150 job)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #309: December 12, 2017, 12:20:52 PM »
That seems high. I would shop around - I know at least one of the large area plumbing chains has given me insane estimates ($740 to replace a sink shut off valve and repair a leaky pipe- I shut off the house supply for a day and waited for our local plumber to come- $150 job)

the old gas hot water heaters with a bottom element heating a large tank of water are largely obsolete thanks to regulatory changes a few years ago requiring only the manufacture of high efficiency models.  If you can still find one of the old ones the installation price should be closer to $1200.  If not, $2500 is about right, especially if they need to run electricity to the unit to power the internal motor.  On the plus side, the new units are far more efficient and cheaper to run.  On the downside, the efficiency gain will likely never pay for the additional cost, and because they use electricity, you won't have hot water if the power goes out (unless you have a whole house UPS).

more info here:
https://www.washingtonenergy.com/idea-center/2015-government-changes-water-heaters-will-affect/

if you are anywhere near Manassas, VA, I strongly recommend Air-Right HVAC services. 

Online GburgNatsFan

« Reply #310: December 12, 2017, 12:37:45 PM »
Slate seems like a Festool man. There's his solution.

they make an oscillating saw- covers a lot of what a grinder does (the thing was a lifesaver cutting out bad sections of decking without damaging any of the surrounding boards)

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #311: December 12, 2017, 01:00:28 PM »
BS - what size tank are you replacing ?

My hot water heater is in its last legs. The plumbing from folks quoted me a
Cost of 2500 installed, which seems high to me? What should I expect for a run of the mill one that’s works on gas heat?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #312: December 12, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »
BS - what size tank are you replacing ?

50 Gallons. Has anyone tried the tankless heaters?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #313: December 12, 2017, 01:11:06 PM »
Here's a link to Lowes as an example.  Prices range from $400 to $1500, with $500 being a good example for a 50 gallon tank.  So you may want to get other estimates.  Or go to Lowes or Home Depot and ask about installation costs.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Gas-water-heaters-Water-heaters-Plumbing/4294859099?sortMethod=sortBy_priceLowToHigh&refinement=4294641904

Offline imref

« Reply #314: December 12, 2017, 01:11:53 PM »
50 Gallons. Has anyone tried the tankless heaters?

I looked at them when i replaced my 85 gallon gas-fired heater a few years ago.  They are about 2-3x the price and will not pay for themselves.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #315: December 12, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
I looked at them when i replaced my 85 gallon gas-fired heater a few years ago.  They are about 2-3x the price and will not pay for themselves.

However, if space is at a premium (i.e. you have a small house) then the use of the floor space for something other than hosting the heater has some value.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #316: December 12, 2017, 01:20:47 PM »
Wife found water on the floor in the kitchen, adjacent to the sink.

After accusing her of splashing water out of the sink, upon further examination it was the dishwasher.   :rant:

And it was coming from the dead center underneath, where the main sump pump lives.  Fairly inaccessible short of moving the unit out, and it's hard wired to the circuit.  Not sure there's even enough electric cord.  I think I'm going to pay someone to fix this one rather than tackle myself.   :money:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #317: December 12, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
However, if space is at a premium (i.e. you have a small house) then the use of the floor space for something other than hosting the heater has some value.

Also endless hot water if you have a large family

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #318: December 12, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »

After accusing her of splashing water out of the sink, upon further examination it was the dishwasher.   :rant:

And it was coming from the dead center underneath, where the main sump pump lives.  Fairly inaccessible short of moving the unit out, and it's hard wired to the circuit.  Not sure there's even enough electric cord.  I think I'm going to pay someone to fix this one rather than tackle myself.   :money:

Just replaced the pump on ours- ‘only’ $300

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #319: December 12, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »

I'm hoping not to have to do that.  The pump functions fine, but water's leaking from its vicinity somewhere.

Online Slateman

« Reply #320: December 12, 2017, 01:48:48 PM »

keep in mind, you have to now pay for your apology

Online GburgNatsFan

« Reply #321: December 12, 2017, 01:48:50 PM »
It's probably a weep hole to let you know the seals are going. Like in a car, but even more infuriating.

I'm hoping not to have to do that.  The pump functions fine, but water's leaking from its vicinity somewhere.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #322: December 12, 2017, 01:52:03 PM »
It's probably a weep hole to let you know the seals are going. Like in a car, but even more infuriating.

I'd stick a pan under there for the next 10 years but there's hardly any room under there with various hoses and what not.  And the dire warnings about risk of electrocution.    :phew:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #323: December 12, 2017, 01:54:24 PM »

the labor to disassemble, source the gasket and reassemble was pretty close to replacing the whole pump assembly

Offline imref

« Reply #324: December 12, 2017, 02:34:15 PM »

replacing a dishwasher is pretty easy, two screws, a couple of hose clamps, and a couple of electrical connections.

The pump is an easy DIY replacement too, I don't recall what I paid to replace the one in our whirlpool a few years ago, but it was far less than $300.