Author Topic: Home Improvement Thread  (Read 29142 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #350: March 24, 2018, 07:46:19 PM »
I have no pressing need for a new roof but it's been awhile   ....   time to plan.     I've googled a lot of this stuff but wanna run it by yunz to see your input.

What is the average cost per square foot to replace a simple shingle roof (shingles; tar paper (?); plywood is fine)?     The roof is easily accessible (maybe 20 feet off the ground) with a medium slant/grade.    It's a basic townhouse design with no protrusions, etc.   Might consider gettin' rid of my Direct TV dish.

Any recommendations for an estimate in the E. Loudoun vicinity.    Neighbor's gettin' his done and he gave me the card of his crew.

Thanks for any input about any aspect of this adventure.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #351: March 24, 2018, 08:09:06 PM »
I have no pressing need for a new roof but it's been awhile   ....   time to plan.     I've googled a lot of this stuff but wanna run it by yunz to see your input.

What is the average cost per square foot to replace a simple shingle roof (shingles; tar paper (?); plywood is fine)?     The roof is easily accessible (maybe 20 feet off the ground) with a medium slant/grade.    It's a basic townhouse design with no protrusions, etc.   Might consider gettin' rid of my Direct TV dish.

Any recommendations for an estimate in the E. Loudoun vicinity.    Neighbor's gettin' his done and he gave me the card of his crew.

Thanks for any input about any aspect of this adventure.

I used to know prices...no more...

I will suggest that you get dimensional, fungus resistant shingles.  They look better and will look better far longer.  My kids are telling me the upcharge for their insurance replacement from the storm was $25/sq. more than regular 3-tab shingles.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #352: March 24, 2018, 08:12:32 PM »
I used to know prices...no more...

I will suggest that you get dimensional, fungus resistant shingles.  They look better and will look better far longer.  My kids are telling me the upcharge for their insurance replacement from the storm was $25/sq. more than regular 3-tab shingles.

One of my "problems" may be the HOA.    They have rules.   :P    To my knowledge, I don't have any damage.    I'm sure there's some gougin' goin' on.    Figure get some thoughts/prices now and then replace it when the frenzy dies down.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #353: March 24, 2018, 08:56:04 PM »
About 6 weeks ago my wife had an issue - she had itchy eyes in the morning, particularly one of them.  That evening, sitting around the dinner table the whole side of her face was sagging visibly, she couldn't blink and her speech was slurred.  I took her over to Fair Oaks Hospital where we got good news - it was Bell's Palsy, not a stroke or more dangerous issue.

So the next day she was lying in bed administering her eye drops, and noticed more good news, a stain the ceiling.  No, it was not the result of her lover's abilities, rather it was a very small leak that had led to the stain.  So with this as cause, I called my insurance company who promptly sent an adjuster - more good new!  My roof had substantial hail damage (God knows when it occurred, but many in the neighborhood have it) and they were going to pay for roof replacement for my 22 year old roof.  So to make a long story short  (too late) I got my replacement roof paid for ($10k) thanks to Bell's Palsy.  So full of win.

And to VARK's point, I did upgrade to the dimensional shingles, and also got Energy Star rated shingles that are reflective so that summer sun is less absorbed, I hope this will cause the upstairs of the house to be a bit cooler.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #354: March 24, 2018, 08:58:53 PM »
About 6 weeks ago my wife had an issue - she had itchy eyes in the morning, particularly one of them.  That evening, sitting around the dinner table the whole side of her face was sagging visibly, she couldn't blink and her speech was slurred.  I took her over to Fair Oaks Hospital where we got good news - it was Bell's Palsy, not a stroke or more dangerous issue.

So the next day she was lying in bed administering her eye drops, and noticed more good news, a stain the ceiling.  No, it was not the result of her lover's abilities, rather it was a very small leak that had led to the stain.  So with this as cause, I called my insurance company who promptly sent an adjuster - more good new!  My roof had substantial hail damage (God knows when it occurred, but many in the neighborhood have it) and they were going to pay for roof replacement for my 22 year old roof.  So to make a long story short  (too late) I got my replacement roof paid for ($10k) thanks to Bell's Palsy.  So full of win.

And to VARK's point, I did upgrade to the dimensional shingles, and also got Energy Star rated shingles that are reflective so that summer sun is less absorbed, I hope this will cause the upstairs of the house to be a bit cooler.

The front of my home faces S/SW with no tree cover/shade near by.    It gets baked all summer.    The good news is we're not an end unit so we get very little direct bad weather  ...  winds, etc.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #355: March 24, 2018, 09:06:44 PM »
The front of my home faces S/SW with no tree cover/shade near by.    It gets baked all summer.    The good news is we're not an end unit so we get very little direct bad weather  ...  winds, etc.

You may want to consider getting a more reflective shingle if your upstairs is hot.  Silver Birch is the only one in this line that is so rated, and it's what we got.  They have a more pricey line of reflective also if you want to go big.    :money:

https://www.certainteed.com/residential-roofing/products/landmark-pro/

Offline mitlen

« Reply #356: March 24, 2018, 09:12:10 PM »
You may want to consider getting a more reflective shingle if your upstairs is hot.  Silver Birch is the only one in this line that is so rated, and it's what we got.  They have a more pricey line of reflective also if you want to go big.    :money:

https://www.certainteed.com/residential-roofing/products/landmark-pro/

Mentioned to VaRK, I'm under the thumb of a HOA.    I'm afeered my options may be limited.   

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #357: March 24, 2018, 09:13:57 PM »
Mentioned to VaRK, I'm under the thumb of a HOA.    I'm afeered my options may be limited.

Tyranny!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #358: March 24, 2018, 09:16:31 PM »
Tyranny!

“Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.”

Thomas Paine

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #359: March 24, 2018, 10:57:53 PM »
Just do it & ask questions later.  A good response - "I didn't know that" to their silly HOA rules

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #361: March 30, 2018, 02:59:09 PM »
You can find a less hyperbole-driven assessment for what you'd need in an antenna here: https://www.antennaweb.org/

I put a simple HD antenna on my roof and could pick up all the major broadcast stations. Unfortunately, they were from Baltimore (clearer line-of-sight).

Has anyone tried any of the HDTV antennas such as the one in the link below ?

http://thefoxinsider.com/news/tfi_pages/us/us1_ftv_soc/?c=369&key=d2d9d78faf8adba303a0cf1d5c351463&t=e4c51b0cc47eaabbd3c746e2b4effd7d&creative=NEW_set28_ad32_text4

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #362: March 30, 2018, 03:10:45 PM »
Where I am cbs and abc were on a different axis from nbc fox and pbs, so if you choose a north south window you got one set and a different one for east west, I have up- just not worth the bother.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #363: March 30, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »
Where I am cbs and abc were on a different axis from nbc fox and pbs, so if you choose a north south window you got one set and a different one for east west, I have up- just not worth the bother.

I noticed that. There's a group of DC towers that are all together, then another in a whole different area.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #364: March 30, 2018, 04:40:37 PM »
I noticed that. There's a group of DC towers that are all together, then another in a whole different area.

Are most or 'em still on the Wisconsin AVE/River RD axis?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #365: March 30, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »
Are most or 'em still on the Wisconsin AVE/River RD axis?

And there are some, I think, in Virginia.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #366: March 30, 2018, 05:21:05 PM »
And there are some, I think, in Virginia.

I remember 4, 5, 9 and 20 in that area  ....   a long time ago.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #367: March 31, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »
Got a hard wired attic fan.    Wanna remove it.   How hard is it to "cut" the wires and cap them off without injurin' myself ...  or burnin' down the house?     I'm gettin' my roof replaced and want the fan gone but I don't wanna pay the roofers to "cut the cord".   I want them to be able to simply remove the fan (one way or the other).

Thanks

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #368: March 31, 2019, 08:29:01 AM »
Got a hard wired attic fan.    Wanna remove it.   How hard is it to "cut" the wires and cap them off without injurin' myself ...  or burnin' down the house?     I'm gettin' my roof replaced and want the fan gone but I don't wanna pay the roofers to "cut the cord".   I want them to be able to simply remove the fan (one way or the other).

Thanks

We know one end of the wire goes to the fan, where is the wire attached at the other end? Disconnect it there then the roofers can remove the fan safely.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #369: March 31, 2019, 08:34:39 AM »
We know one end of the wire goes to the fan, where is the wire attached at the other end? Disconnect it there then the roofers can remove the fan safely.

The wiring for the fan runs through an on/off box located on the rafter and then down to a common receptacle box.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #370: March 31, 2019, 08:38:41 AM »
The wiring for the fan runs through an on/off box located on the rafter and then down to a common receptacle box.

Cut the power to the circuit at the breaker box, open the junction box- cut and cap off the black and white wires and you should be good with an easy install if you ever replace the fan

Offline mitlen

« Reply #371: March 31, 2019, 08:41:05 AM »
Cut the power to the circuit at the breaker box, open the junction box- cut and cap off the black and white wires and you should be good with an easy install if you ever replace the fan

See if I got it right  ....   Hell brother, I cut the power to the whole house when I change light bulbs.   :)    So, cut the wires above the receptacle/junction box and cap 'em off?   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #372: March 31, 2019, 08:56:24 AM »
See if I got it right  ....   Hell brother, I cut the power to the whole house when I change light bulbs.   :)    So, cut the wires above the receptacle/junction box and cap 'em off?   

Personally, I’d cut the wires in the junction box so that it’s neat and tidy

Offline mitlen

« Reply #373: March 31, 2019, 09:10:41 AM »
Personally, I’d cut the wires in the junction box so that it’s neat and tidy

One more question, I swear.    How 'bout between the on/off switch box and the fan (10 feet or so)?       If that's OK, I may go with that and let a skilled electrician/handy man deal with the junction box.   Thanks again ....

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #374: March 31, 2019, 10:29:01 AM »
One more question, I swear.    How 'bout between the on/off switch box and the fan (10 feet or so)?       If that's OK, I may go with that and let a skilled electrician/handy man deal with the junction box.   Thanks again ....

You can cut it at any point if you cap it off properly. If it goes box —> switch —> fan, your fine pulling the cover off the switch and cutting there (you can probably replace the switch with just a flat cover when you’re done). Just make sure you cut the power first If you don’t like wiring, this should be a super simple/quick thing.