Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 73622 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #1175: February 06, 2021, 12:39:55 PM »
OC mentions Tuborg. I seem to recall they used to have a plant near Baltimore that was visible from the Harbor Tunnel Thruway. Can’t say I’ve ever had their beer, though.[...]

Tuborg was brewed under licence at the Carling/National brewery near Baltimore; it was very cheap (about $1.99 a six-pack if I recall aright) and quite easy to get back in the 1980's but I haven't seen it in the States for many years; it didn't taste that much like real Danish-brewed Tuborg (you can still get the real stuff on draught in the Wetherspoon pubs in London).

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #1176: February 06, 2021, 07:51:37 PM »
Scandinavian mass-market beer, except for Ringnes, Frydenlund, Tuborg and a few others, is generally fairly dire. The only beer you can buy at a grocery store or other off-licence in Finland or Sweden is the aforementioned 2.25% ABV (known as lättöl in Sweden, and very popular there); anything stronger has to be bought at Alko (Finland) or Systembolaget (Sweden) (both rather like Virginia ABC stores) or at a restaurant or bar (for on-premises consumption).

And yet...in the mid-1980's the Pripps brewery in Sweden tried marketing lättöl in the United States, under the brand name 'Nordik [sic] Wolf Light'. Suffice it to say that compared to this brew, Bud Light packs a Dogfish-Head-style punch...it was a flop, and if I recall aright was off the US market within a year.

I personally hate Ringnes.  Even Mariestads is better for the same type of beer, as long as you're willing to drink Swedish rather than Norwegian.

It's an interesting societal effect, though:  If you have to go to Systembolaget for all your alcohol, why bother with beer when all the liquor's just sitting there (even if grocery stores sell stuff that's up to 3.5%, which is not really a noticeable difference from the light stuff.   As a result, there are some pretty good Norwegian microbrews - AEgir is awesome, and you'll never see a brewery in a more scenic location - but everything in Swedish bars is local macrobrew swill or imported.  There's a reason BrewDog has done so well there. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1178: February 10, 2021, 10:46:00 AM »
I guess no one actually buys their crappy, but marketed as not quite as crappy as bud, beer to drink at home

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1179: February 10, 2021, 12:30:08 PM »
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/538181-heineken-cutting-8k-jobs-as-pandemic-crimps-sales

I guess sales at off-licences (I buy my Heineken through Drizly) aren't replacing the sales lost due to the prolonged closures of pubs and restaurants.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1180: February 28, 2021, 09:39:12 PM »

If that type of stuff is your jam, just buy everything Founders puts out - KBS, Backwoods Bastard, Panther Cub.

Oh, believe me, always have something in the fridge from Founders.  Love the breakfast stout among others.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1181: July 29, 2021, 08:06:47 PM »
No one drinks beer anymore?

I am having a Fair Winds Howling Gale after a DB Vienna Lager, and wow does the grapefruit hops hit me.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1182: July 29, 2021, 08:33:02 PM »
I subsist entirely on absinthe and laudanum these days.  But in the pre-Clay days, I was a big fan of Fair Winds. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1183: July 29, 2021, 09:15:45 PM »
JCA - I'm not sure what population you share you life with, but everyone I know here in OBX loves the various types of beer.

I am having a Fair Winds Howling Gale after a DB Vienna Lager, and wow does the grapefruit hops hit me.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1184: July 29, 2021, 09:37:35 PM »
JCA - I'm not sure what population you share you life with, but everyone I know here in OBX loves the various types of beer.

my point was that it has been 5 months since the last post in this thread. No one had anything to say about beet in the interim?

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1185: July 30, 2021, 10:21:32 AM »
[...]No one had anything to say about beet in the interim?

[emphasis added]

Not sure about beet (although I do like them) but over that period continuing to steer a steady course, just me and my Heineken (and hoping the four European trips I have on the books [and re-books] will become a reality so I can enjoy even more kinds of beer).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1186: July 30, 2021, 10:42:04 AM »
my point was that it has been 5 months since the last post in this thread. No one had anything to say about beet in the interim?

bears beets Battlestar Galactica.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1187: July 30, 2021, 01:41:56 PM »