Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 76808 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #500: September 18, 2015, 01:31:58 PM »
do you think the Bottom Feeder Belgian Blonde is someone's nickname for the Blonde From Ardennes after a bad first date?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #501: September 18, 2015, 01:44:48 PM »
Quite likely - she probably wanted sex with the light on and dinged his car door against the concrete pillar.
do you think the Bottom Feeder Belgian Blonde is someone's nickname for the Blonde From Ardennes after a bad first date?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #502: September 18, 2015, 02:53:54 PM »
Where is RAR Brewing from ?

What a wonderful problem!

Speaking of which, anyone try anything by RAR Brewing or Evolution Brewing?  They were represented at a crab feast near our house last month - damn fine beer for crabs. 

Beer list:

RAR Brewing

Nanticoke Nectar
Grapefruit Nanticoke Nectar
Oaked Nanticoke
Saison w/ Local Blackberries
Bottom Feeder Belgian Blonde
Groove City Hefeweizen
Bucktown American Brown

Evolution Brewing

Spring Migration
Summer Session
Special 608 Belgian Amber
Lucky 7 Porter
Lot 6 IPA
Blonde From Ardennes
Winter Migration (bottle pours)

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #503: September 18, 2015, 02:56:15 PM »
This must be due to what is selling.  But the urban areas are quite different than the country.  Here in OBX, there's alot of call for IPAs and not as much for fruit flavored.  Except the pumpkin ale

Depends on what one means by 'beer lovers' - it's ultimately a matter of personal taste. I used to be a massive beer snob but have mellowed considerably on the subject in recent years (although I remain strongly of the 'don't fruit the beer' persuasion). Get me some good lager or real ale and I'm content.

The beer cooler at our neighbourhood Giant is a good illustration of the changes that have taken place in recent years. The old-line domestic lagers take up a surprisingly small amount of the volume, and imports (apart from the execrable Corona) have almost disappeared...but micros take up a clear majority of the space with all the pumpkin stout, fruit-flavoured ales and so forth that one could want. It's a younger market in that neighbourhood, and shelf space is deployed accordingly.

• babble on
« Reply #504: September 18, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
Somewhere on the MD eastern shore - Cambridge perhaps.
Where is RAR Brewing from ?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #505: September 19, 2015, 06:20:32 PM »
Is Octoberfest brewing in beer places in the DC area ?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #506: September 26, 2015, 06:54:12 PM »
Nothing says fall like southern tier warlock

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #507: September 26, 2015, 09:14:25 PM »
Or Southern Tier Pumpling

Nothing says fall like southern tier warlock

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread
« Reply #508: October 01, 2015, 12:15:13 PM »
Pretty much - but without the beer.

I guess they have some advantages without Philly beer   ...   Schmidts of Philadelphia.

• babble on
I have to say that of the cheap Pennsylvania piss, it's a bit of a toss up between Schmidt's and Iron City as to which is the worst.  This requires a placebo-controlled trial to determine  :P
I guess they have some advantages without Philly beer   ...   Schmidts of Philadelphia.

Offline mitlen

I have to say that of the cheap Pennsylvania piss, it's a bit of a toss up between Schmidt's and Iron City as to which is the worst.  This requires a placebo-controlled trial to determine  :P

Real Pennslvanians don't drink any of that swill.

Offline HalfSmokes

depends on if Sly Fox is considered Philly beer- if so, shut your whore mouth, otherwise yes, the city is full of filth and deserves the LeMay treatment

Online Natsinpwc

When I grew up Ortleibs was the worst but then I believe Schmidta bought them.

Offline mitlen

When I grew up Ortleibs was the worst but then I believe Schmidta bought them.

In college (Western PA), we drank Olde Frothingslosh.    Not sure if Pittsburgh Brewing owned the brand back in those days.

Online Natsinpwc

In college (Western PA), we drank Olde Frothingslosh.    Not sure if Pittsburgh Brewing owned the brand back in those days.
Iron City was popular also due to the price.

Offline mitlen

Iron City was popular also due to the price.

Absolutely.   Personally, I never understood the love for Rolling Rock either.

Did ya ever drink F & S?   I just googled it and when I was in college, it was owned by Ortleib.    Huh, who knew?

Offline HalfSmokes

my roommate loved rolling rock, probably because no one would steal his beer

Online Natsinpwc

We drank lots of Rolling Rock also. Think it was the price and you could drink a lot without filling you up.
Quantity over quality at that time.

Online Natsinpwc

Did ya ever drink F & S?   I just googled it and when I was in college, it was owned by Ortleib.    Huh, who knew?
Don't know F&S. 

Offline mitlen

Online Natsinpwc

Lucky man   ..
I remember the old man used to have Ballentine in the fridge when I was younger. He didn't drink much beer and maybe that's why. They sponsored all the Philliea games.

When I was a kid I loved the Schaeffers commercial where they would chop a beer mug out of an ice block and then pour the beer in it. Looked great. But then I tried Schaeffers and it was terrible also. Drank lots of swill in my time.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

When I was a kid I loved the Schaeffers commercial where they would chop a beer mug out of an ice block and then pour the beer in it. Looked great. But then I tried Schaeffers and it was terrible also. Drank lots of swill in my time.

The one beer to have, when you're having more than one! 

• babble on
Milwaukee's Best (aka "Beast") and Meister Brau were responsible for a lot of dodgy decisions in me yoot.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
[...]But then I tried Schaeffers and it was terrible also. Drank lots of swill in my time.

I was fond of the old Brooklyn-brewed Schaefer (ca1973) which was very popular in Puerto Rico where I was residing at the time...very crisp hop flavour was perfect on a hot afternoon.

Drank a lot of $1.99/six-pack stuff in my university days - Grain Belt, Pfeiffer, and 'the other' Schmidt (no apostrophe S, 'The Brew That Grew With The Great Northwest') and Heileman's Old Style...miss 'em all.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Unless there's Ballantine around...  Or Rhinegold.

The one beer to have, when you're having more than one!