Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 76822 times)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #475: July 22, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »
Awesome summer beer served over ice with a slice of orange.  :cheers:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #476: August 03, 2015, 08:27:29 PM »
Sam Calagoine of Dogfish is approached by InBev (owners of Budweiser) about selling Dogfish

http://www.totallybeer.com/conteudo/807/18/25/News-News-Sam_Calagione_says_no_to_AB_InBev#.VcAF_TZRG01

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #477: August 04, 2015, 12:33:54 AM »
Man the barricades!!
Sam Calagoine of Dogfish is approached by InBev (owners of Budweiser) about selling Dogfish

http://www.totallybeer.com/conteudo/807/18/25/News-News-Sam_Calagione_says_no_to_AB_InBev#.VcAF_TZRG01

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #478: August 04, 2015, 08:08:00 AM »
Don't think we have to do that.  But we should all visit the local Dogfish Pubs and drink to Sam saying no deal.

Man the barricades!!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #479: August 04, 2015, 08:27:27 AM »
Does InBev not realize that a huge portion of dogfish' appeal is that it isn't InBev? Every craft I've had that has been bought out by a major has stayed the same for awhile before starting a steady descent - no reason to think the same wouldn't happen to dogfish

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #480: August 04, 2015, 08:44:25 AM »
There must be something else going on in the market HS or InBev wouldn't continue to try buying up craft brewers.

Does InBev not realize that a huge portion of dogfish' appeal is that it isn't InBev? Every craft I've had that has been bought out by a major has stayed the same for awhile before starting a steady descent - no reason to think the same wouldn't happen to dogfish

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #481: August 04, 2015, 08:53:29 AM »
Craft sales are exploding, the majors are stagnating. Buying crafts is an easy way out since making their own has mixed success- when is the last time you saw someone drinking shock top? Blue moon is the exception, but they spend millions on advertising to convince people they aren't part of a multinational.i just wonder if dogfish head fans would stick around and if InBev would put up with their experimental beers (imagine pitching 120 to a company that sells 5% abv as a manly full beer)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #482: August 04, 2015, 09:33:10 AM »
Awesome summer beer served over ice with a slice of orange.  :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)

I've had the regular Crabbie's Alcoholic Ginger Beer at several London pubs (I think they still sell it at Giant too)...superb.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #483: August 04, 2015, 12:32:40 PM »
I've had the regular Crabbie's Alcoholic Ginger Beer at several London pubs (I think they still sell it at Giant too)...superb.

Got it at Total Wine. Bit pricey at $9 for a 4 pack but our whole group was going ape crap over it and someone made a run for more.  :glug:

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #484: August 10, 2015, 01:52:10 PM »
...meanwhile, enjoy the latest booze fad from Australia - home-brew made from the legendary Vegemite (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/10/why-australia-is-agonizing-over-its-vegemite-problem/?tid=hp_mm&hpid=z4) - apparently becoming a real problem in some places.

• babble on
« Reply #485: August 10, 2015, 02:05:10 PM »
I grew up on that stuff...it's awesome
...meanwhile, enjoy the latest booze fad from Australia - home-brew made from the legendary Vegemite (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/10/why-australia-is-agonizing-over-its-vegemite-problem/?tid=hp_mm&hpid=z4) - apparently becoming a real problem in some places.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #486: August 10, 2015, 03:26:13 PM »
I grew up on that stuff...it's awesome

Supports OC's assertion.

• babble on
« Reply #487: August 10, 2015, 05:34:42 PM »
I shudder to think what vegemite hooch tastes like. I'm thinking a diaper and cigar smoothie. 

• babble on

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #489: September 18, 2015, 09:37:26 AM »
It can't get any more macro than this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/17/business/dealbook/anheuser-busch-inbev-takeover-sabmiller.html?_r=0

it may be good for the US- they would control something like 75% of the market here, that would mean massive divestitures to get the DOJ to sign off, and reports are that inbev wants SAB for developing markets not the US- you might get a bunch of midsize breweries spun off that either improve quality or disappear without Inbev's advertising budget- either way, more shelf space for better beer. 

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #490: September 18, 2015, 09:50:02 AM »
it may be good for the US- they would control something like 75% of the market here, that would mean massive divestitures to get the DOJ to sign off, and reports are that inbev wants SAB for developing markets not the US- you might get a bunch of midsize breweries spun off that either improve quality or disappear without Inbev's advertising budget- either way, more shelf space for better beer. 

That's what it sounds like. MolsonCoors will get sold off, InBev and SAB start going after new markets outside the U.S. It's an acknowledgement of the market share craft brews are taking, and it's two companies shaking, while trying to figure out what to do.

I do expect this Macro Co. to start buying out more craft brews, through distro or outright ownership, though. We'll see.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #491: September 18, 2015, 10:58:06 AM »

It would be an effective monopoly of the domestic US lager market - about all that would remain would be whatever brands Pabst/Falstaff/whatever-they're-called-these-days are keeping alive.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #492: September 18, 2015, 11:49:20 AM »
IT would be ironic if Miller had to spin off "Plank Road Brewery" as a real entity as part of a divestment.  That was the phony microbrewery they set up years ago for one of their beers to make it seem like it was not a Miller product.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #493: September 18, 2015, 12:43:09 PM »
It would be an effective monopoly of the domestic US lager market - about all that would remain would be whatever brands Pabst/Falstaff/whatever-they're-called-these-days are keeping alive.

They've already said they would sell MolsonCoors if they merge.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #494: September 18, 2015, 12:45:35 PM »

Not really, micros are growing rapidly while eating market share of the big guys.  They can't stop that train short of buying up the micros, and there are VERY low barriers to entry.  Nothing to keep micros from popping up to replace the ones already bought.

If there's a market for lagers, the micros are more than able to target it.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #495: September 18, 2015, 12:56:32 PM »
IT would be ironic if Miller had to spin off "Plank Road Brewery" as a real entity as part of a divestment.  That was the phony microbrewery they set up years ago for one of their beers to make it seem like it was not a Miller product.

That was Icehouse. Miller had done this previously with some other brands they've marketed - Milwaukee's Best was at least at one time 'produced' by 'A. Gettelman Brewing'.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #496: September 18, 2015, 01:01:15 PM »
Honestly I think this is a non-event for beer lovers.  There has never been more choice available, more quality.

Much of this move is about eliminating redundant costs and improving efficiency.  Basic business management. 

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #497: September 18, 2015, 01:14:07 PM »
True - it's become tough for tap beer establishments to decide on what to have on tap each week.

Honestly I think this is a non-event for beer lovers.  There has never been more choice available, more quality.

Much of this move is about eliminating redundant costs and improving efficiency.  Basic business management. 

• babble on
« Reply #498: September 18, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
What a wonderful problem!

Speaking of which, anyone try anything by RAR Brewing or Evolution Brewing?  They were represented at a crab feast near our house last month - damn fine beer for crabs. 

Beer list:

RAR Brewing

Nanticoke Nectar
Grapefruit Nanticoke Nectar
Oaked Nanticoke
Saison w/ Local Blackberries
Bottom Feeder Belgian Blonde
Groove City Hefeweizen
Bucktown American Brown

Evolution Brewing

Spring Migration
Summer Session
Special 608 Belgian Amber
Lucky 7 Porter
Lot 6 IPA
Blonde From Ardennes
Winter Migration (bottle pours)

True - it's become tough for tap beer establishments to decide on what to have on tap each week.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #499: September 18, 2015, 01:26:31 PM »
Honestly I think this is a non-event for beer lovers.  There has never been more choice available, more quality.[...]

Depends on what one means by 'beer lovers' - it's ultimately a matter of personal taste. I used to be a massive beer snob but have mellowed considerably on the subject in recent years (although I remain strongly of the 'don't fruit the beer' persuasion). Get me some good lager or real ale and I'm content.

The beer cooler at our neighbourhood Giant is a good illustration of the changes that have taken place in recent years. The old-line domestic lagers take up a surprisingly small amount of the volume, and imports (apart from the execrable Corona) have almost disappeared...but micros take up a clear majority of the space with all the pumpkin stout, fruit-flavoured ales and so forth that one could want. It's a younger market in that neighbourhood, and shelf space is deployed accordingly.