Author Topic: Define Natitude  (Read 118664 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Define Natitude: I'd have to blame the media
« Reply #1375: September 08, 2012, 12:39:16 PM »
Blaming the media, what did DJ join the Tea Party?

Basically, Strasburg is a mental midget.

Davey just needs to have Strasburg's back every once in a while.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1376: September 08, 2012, 12:43:41 PM »
Natitude obviously doesn't include communication between the manager and GM.

Quote from: Rizzo
I'm not going to let anyone on any network or in any newspaper dictate what we should do as an organization, they're not the general manager of this club. I am.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1377: September 08, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »
Natitude obviously doesn't include communication between the manager and GM.

Do you think Rizzo didn't know?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1378: September 08, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
Do you think Rizzo didn't know?

Rizzo knew, but Rizzo also made statements that Davey contradicted this morning, based on what happened with Riggles I'm not sure if Rizzo is the easiest GM to manage under.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1379: September 08, 2012, 12:57:45 PM »
Rizzo knew, but Rizzo also made statements that Davey contradicted this morning, based on what happened with Riggles I'm not sure if Rizzo is the easiest GM to manage under.

I thought for a long time that DJ is the perfect manager for Rizzo.   He has the gravitas to do it his way.   It'll be interesting to see what happens after DJ is gone and Rizzo tries to bully his way on the new guy.   But that's a story for another time  ...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Sorry about the changing headers, but this is clearly the more interesting line:

Quote from: Davey
"It’s a great subject to second-guess on, and I mean I’m mentally worn out seeing it all the time myself. The kitty-kat letter to the pitcher is almost the last straw for me. It has its toll not only on Stephen, but on the rest of the guys in the club. It’s a distraction.

Offline PC

I saw that letter on MLB Network yesterday.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I saw that letter on MLB Network yesterday.

TV only?  Is there a link?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
TV only?  Is there a link?

Where are you getting your quotes from?

People need to start sourcing their quotes.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Where are you getting your quotes from?

People need to start sourcing their quotes.

Rizzo and Davey, they are listed as the authors of the quotes.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Rizzo and Davey, they are listed as the authors of the quotes.

Put a link with it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
What fooking letter are you nignogs talkin about?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Johnson called him kitty-kat?

What the hell is wrong with him. Act like a grownup. Weird Wuss and Kitty-kat? Really?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
And I watched the video... if that gave him stress... maybe he is a mental midget.

That was very nice of Kaat to write.... and I really hope Strasburg gets a chance to speak to him in person some day.

They way Davey spoke of the letter... you'd think Kaat was ripping him a new one.

Offline mitlen

Johnson called him kitty-kat?

What the hell is wrong with him. Act like a grownup. Weird Wuss and Kitty-kat? Really?

It's Kaat's nickname.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Kaat

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kaatji01.shtml

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
It's Kaat's nickname.

Didn't know that.

But seriously... if that letter gave Strasburg stress... that's pretty embarrassing.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Quote from: Kitty_Kat
Stephen, I’ve never met you but I’ve seen you pitch and you are special. I announced your debut on our MLB Network with Bob Costas and John Smoltz. I was very impressed. I imagined being you. I made my debut in 1959 at age 20 and lasted 2 1/3. Never struck out a batter. Took the loss. What you did that night amazed me. I don’t know if I could have found the strike zone with all the advance hype and the high expectations heaped on you. It was quite a treat to witness what you did.

Now I get to visit with the managers and sometimes the coaches when I come in to announce a game on MLB, but I seldom get time with the players. Organizations protect their young stars from media and I don’t blame them. I have heard comments from people from a lot of different stations in life on what should be done about limiting your innings that you pitch this season. Executives, sportswriters, former players and pitchers, TV analysts from not only baseball but also football and other sports! Even some national news correspondents have weighed in on the subject.

Your manager, Davey Johnson, is a former teammate and friend, a man for whom I have great respect. He’s in a tough position. He wants to do the right thing. But Davey, like many of the people who have commented on this, has never pitched.

I can only talk to you as a former pitcher who wanted to be a Major League pitcher since he was 8. My motivation was to pitch in the big leagues, pitch in an All-Star game, pitch in a World Series. You have done two of those three. I can only tell you as one who pitched in two World Series that doing that is the ultimate prize in Major League Baseball. I was fortunate to do it at age 26. Hooked up with the great Sandy Koufax three times in 1965. Had a chance to be a World Series MVP. Sandy denied me that with his great performance. It was 17 years later when I finally got a chance to participate in a World Series again. That’s still a record for the most years between World Series appearances. We won that one. The Cardinals beat the Brewers. I had very little to do with it but it remains my top moment in baseball.

The money is nice but the ring is the thing for an athlete. It ranks high above pitching for 25 seasons in the Majors, 283 wins, 16 Gold Gloves, an All-Star Game where I faced Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente and Hank Aaron. Being on a World Series winner is the ultimate prize. We just had our 30-year reunion in St. Louis, celebrating our World Series win in 1982. Those are memories you’ll always have no matter how long you pitch.

If you can imagine what it would feel like to ride down Pennsylvania Avenue in a victory parade with your teammates and wave to the White house and hundreds of thousands of Nationals fans and feel that feeling . . . . you would give a lot of thought to whether it was right or wrong not to pitch anymore this season. It’s easy for me to say as it was for many pitchers before me who pitched in the Fall Classic. Warren Spahn, Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Catfish Hunter, Koufax, Jim Palmer, Jack Morris, many more. We gave no thought to what the condition of our arm might be next year. This was the World Series — the ultimate stage. Who knows if we’d ever get back there again?

Give this some thought. It’s not Mike Rizzo’s career or Scott Boras’s or Davey Johnson’s or even your that of your parents. It’s yours. Do what you want to do, not what others think you should do. Selfishly, I would love to see you pitch in a World Series for the city where I made my debut. The Washington Senators were known for “First in war, first in peace, last in the American League.” You have a chance to do what the great Walter Johnson did for Washington. No one since.

Let me ask you this: “Did you have any symptoms before you injured your arm? Anything that led you to believe you were going to injure it on your next pitch?” I didn’t. I was having the best month of pitching I ever had in September of 1967 when — “pop” — there went my elbow. We pitchers really don’t know when it’s going to happen or if it ever will happen, do we? It’s a fragile profession. I’m just happy I never had to make the decision you should be able to make. If my GM told me in September of 1965 that he was going to shut me down and not allow me a chance to pitch in the World Series, knowing my stubborn Dutch nature, he would have had quite an argument on his hands. My Dad’s biggest thrill was watching me pitch in the World Series. It would have haunted me the rest of my life if I had deprived him of that. Gaylord Perry and Phil Niekro were Hall of Fame pitchers but never got to experience the ultimate prize.

Good luck with your decision, Stephen. But please remember — it’s your career, your arm, your decision. Nobody’s else’s.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
What an evil letter. Oh. Wait.

Offline sportsfan882

Dumbest thing I've ever seen. It isn't Strasburg's decision. What the freak is he talking about? Stras has no say. He is but an employee of the Washington Nationals.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Don't read your own posts?

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
It's Kaat's nickname.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Kaat

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kaatji01.shtml

Jim Kaat is one of the greatest pitchers in the history of the Twins franchise since the team left Washington---but that doesn't mean he has a medical degree and Stephen should take his advice over his doctor's.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Nattitude: Where monsoons don't keep us from walk-offs