Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 79766 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #325: December 04, 2010, 09:37:40 AM »
Myers' Rum ... 3 fingers in a rock glass, no ice.

I had the best of both worlds growing up in Western PA.   After I got out of the Army, we'd meet up at the local hangout and do boilermakers before we went partying.   If we were in a hurry, we simply dropped the shot glass in the beer.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #326: December 04, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
Myers' Rum ... 3 fingers in a rock glass, no ice.

I had the best of both worlds growing up in Western PA.   After I got out of the Army, we'd meet up at the local hangout and do boilermakers before we went partying.   If we were in a hurry, we simply dropped the shot glass in the beer.

that must have saved like....milliseconds

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #327: December 04, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »
that must have saved like....milliseconds

Every second counts ... :)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #328: December 29, 2010, 09:01:04 PM »
I caught a new Good Eats tonight in which Alton goes through the history of the Bloody Mary and Margarita and offers his own versions (including one based on a tomato vodka):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/raising-the-bar-again/index.html

Offline natstime

« Reply #329: December 29, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »
Anyone ever try putting vodka in their orange juice?  I call it an orangevodjuicka.  It is really really good.

jk its from The Office

Online imref

« Reply #330: December 29, 2010, 10:43:07 PM »
yeah, it goes well with samosas made from graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate.  :)

Online imref

« Reply #331: February 10, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »
At a SB party last weekend the host poured everyone a snifter of Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia.  I usually run away from any JC tequilla, but this one was very very good, it's aged around years in oak, and is blended with tequilla aged up to 30 years.  It is 100% blue agave.  I believe it sells for about $100 a bottle.

http://www.cuervo.com/products/reserva.aspx#Facts

The best way I can describe the taste is that it reminded me of a very very smooth bourbon.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #332: February 11, 2011, 10:08:41 AM »
So, who here is a fan of Hendricks gin?  Delicious stuff.

Offline DC_Nats

« Reply #333: February 11, 2011, 02:59:30 PM »
I caught a new Good Eats tonight in which Alton goes through the history of the Bloody Mary and Margarita and offers his own versions (including one based on a tomato vodka):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/raising-the-bar-again/index.html

Just tasted a new Belvedere Bloody Mary Vodka this past weekend. A nice peppery tomato flavor that is good enough to sip on it's own but also really good in a BM.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #334: February 11, 2011, 03:43:43 PM »
Any of our native Montreal WNFFers here recommend a good jazz bar or a place to sit and sip scotch in downtown Montreal?  I'm headed up for a bachelor party next week and the groom is one of those scotch-sippin', jazz-lovin' types...

Online imref

« Reply #335: February 11, 2011, 04:42:46 PM »
So, who here is a fan of Hendricks gin?  Delicious stuff.

i've tried so many times to like Gin, just can't do it.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #336: February 11, 2011, 05:18:25 PM »
i've tried so many times to like Gin, just can't do it.
Hendricks is the best I've tried, and I love gin.  I hate to waste it by putting it in tonic but give that a try, I bet you'd enjoy it even if you don't like gin that much.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #337: February 12, 2011, 06:36:17 PM »
Not even sure which one I tried but I gave one of my Caps tickets to a friend in Chinatown today and he invited me over to his new penthouse condo for a pregame scotch.  8 bottles of 18 year single malt were on the table when I got there and I just randomly picked one for my chilled glass with whiskey stones.

Needless to say 12:30 Caps game was fun until they started playing.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #338: February 12, 2011, 06:37:46 PM »
I don't know if I should get some beer tonight after work or try some kind of liquor.  I haven't had any kind of liquior in a long while.  Maybe I should give scotch a try.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #339: February 12, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »
Any of our native Montreal WNFFers here recommend a good jazz bar or a place to sit and sip scotch in downtown Montreal?  I'm headed up for a bachelor party next week and the groom is one of those scotch-sippin', jazz-lovin' types...

When my frat visited Super-sex was a good place to stumble out of (it's classier than it sounds), but really you go to monteal for strippers not jaz

« Reply #340: February 16, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
Pounded some Dark and Stormy's last night. Going to take it a little easier tonight and drink and crush Mike's Harder Lemonade cans on my head.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #341: February 16, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »
I had a large shot of 100 proof vodka called "Kalashnikov" at Russia House...real jet fuel, made me want to tear off my clothes and jump in a hole cut in a frozen lake & then beat my own ass with juniper branches. Fortunately the sensation passed pretty quickly (and was quickly replaced by the urgent need to eat bread).

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #342: February 16, 2011, 06:13:38 PM »
Scored an interview to Bartend at the Doubletree Washington. :woop:

• babble on
« Reply #343: February 16, 2011, 06:16:04 PM »
Doubletree would be a good gig...lots of expense accounts in places like that.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #344: February 16, 2011, 06:20:20 PM »
I had a large shot of 100 proof vodka called "Kalashnikov" at Russia House...real jet fuel, made me want to tear off my clothes and jump in a hole cut in a frozen lake & then beat my own ass with juniper branches. Fortunately the sensation passed pretty quickly (and was quickly replaced by the urgent need to eat bread).
reminds me of Stalingradia (we were pretty sure it supposed to be a vodka, but it could have been jet fuel), it made a painfully long (21 hour) train ride from brashov romania to prague bearable

• babble on
« Reply #345: February 16, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »
"Stalingradia"?!?

Damn.

That does not portend of good things.

reminds me of Stalingradia (we were pretty sure it supposed to be a vodka, but it could have been jet fuel), it made a painfully long (21 hour) train ride from brashov romania to prague bearable

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #346: February 16, 2011, 08:08:40 PM »
Whiskey tonight :glug:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #347: February 16, 2011, 08:27:57 PM »

When confronted with such urges, recommend you head home pronto and have the lil' missus whip you up an egg sammich.    :)

Online imref

« Reply #348: February 16, 2011, 10:20:02 PM »
was it this?

was it this?

• babble on
« Reply #349: February 17, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
That's the one.  Real rotgut, best enjoyed under a bridge or on a park bench.

was it this?

was it this?

(Image removed from quote.)