Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 79853 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #475: February 28, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »
Damnit. Missed it.

I bought a bottle of Catoctin Creek's Mosby's Spirit. Its... different. It's growing on me, but I'm not sure I'll buy it again. Really, it's just ultra-clean 'shine - 100% rye whiskey, un-aged, clear as water.

In a couple of months, I'll try something Irish. Suggestions?

Clears are becoming quite a bit more popular.  The standards of production are way above 'shine, and distilleries have no restrictions on innovation in pursuing flavors to their little hearts' content.  We are still in an early phase of a great blossoming of whiskey growth, innovation, diversity, etc.  It's a great time to be a whiskey lover.    :glug:

Regarding the Irish something, I'm weak on the subject though I like Bushmill's quite well as a brand.  Will get back to you with some suggestions.  I think my subscription to Whisky Advocate includes access to their tasting notes/ratings database, but haven't explored it yet. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #476: February 28, 2013, 08:42:27 PM »

In a couple of months, I'll try something Irish. Suggestions?

Don't waste your money until you've exhausted far better offerings from Scotland and the US

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #477: February 28, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
I've tasted a lot of single malts (my cousin is a big afficianado).

I'm not much of a bourbon fan. 

Honestly, I liked the Johnnie Walker Black I had. I probably shouldn't admit to liking a blend, should I. :)

Don't waste your money until you've exhausted far better offerings from Scotland and the US

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #478: February 28, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »

Honestly, I liked the Johnnie Walker Black I had. I probably shouldn't admit to liking a blend, should I. :)

Blends are fine.  Smoother, more refined, though the rap is they are more "entry level" scotches.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #479: February 28, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »
Nothing wrong with a blend,  I just happen to not like irish whiskey

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #480: February 28, 2013, 10:10:38 PM »

Clears are becoming quite a bit more popular.  The standards of production are way above 'shine, and distilleries have no restrictions on innovation in pursuing flavors to their little hearts' content.  We are still in an early phase of a great blossoming of whiskey growth, innovation, diversity, etc.  It's a great time to be a whiskey lover.    :glug:

Regarding the Irish something, I'm weak on the subject though I like Bushmill's quite well as a brand.  Will get back to you with some suggestions.  I think my subscription to Whisky Advocate includes access to their tasting notes/ratings database, but haven't explored it yet. 

Seems as though anyone can at least get the little tasting blurbs on the website.

Mosby's spirit rated a 73.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #481: March 01, 2013, 02:08:02 AM »
Jameson 12 Year Old Reserve is a delightfully smooth but robust way to get into the wonderful world of Irish whiskey. Tullamore Dew to me is harsher, but with a nice aftertaste. Bushmills' 16 year old is great too.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #482: March 01, 2013, 07:07:39 AM »
Don't tell the makers (or the fans) of Johnnie Walker Blue that

Blends are fine.  Smoother, more refined, though the rap is they are more "entry level" scotches.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #483: March 01, 2013, 07:49:03 AM »
Don't tell the makers (or the fans) of Johnnie Walker Blue that

Johnnie walker blue may be the best example of getting away with premium pricing based on hype and marketing rather than product (for the record,  I'm not anti johnnie and love gold)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #484: March 01, 2013, 08:27:33 PM »
Johnnie walker blue may be the best example of getting away with premium pricing based on hype and marketing rather than product (for the record,  I'm not anti johnnie and love gold)

Age is another big hype thing.  Is 14 year better than 10 year?  No.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #485: March 01, 2013, 08:33:07 PM »
Here's what I picked up today on a lunch errand.

This clear spirit is our Wasmund’s Rye Whisky, bottled at barrel strength prior to aging. Our spirit is hand crafted from 2/3 Virginia rye and 1/3 Thoroughbred barley developed and grown locally, exclusively for Copper Fox Distillery.

Unlike neutral grain spirits, which are distilled at 190 proof and above, our spirits are hand crafted and carefully distilled at just under 160 proof, utilizing a process which allows the complete essence and flavor of the rye and barley grains to come through.

Enjoy this Rye Spirit as a foundation for creating marvelous cocktails. In addition, we invite you to replicate the aging process at home in our new lightly charred American white oak barrels. The cask strength (124 proof) spirit is the best strength to optimize the reaction of spirit and wood. Read more...

This is distilled in Sperryville Va.  I stopped by one Sunday afternoon last month but they were closed, though one of the main guys was there doing a bit of work.  Gonna have to make a run back again to sample some of their better stuff.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #486: March 01, 2013, 08:54:04 PM »
I'm thinking the malted barley will make that taste really good. The 100% rye Catoctin Creek (distilled in Purcellville) is not very refined.

Here's what I picked up today on a lunch errand.

(Image removed from quote.)

This is distilled in Sperryville Va.  I stopped by one Sunday afternoon last month but they were closed, though one of the main guys was there doing a bit of work.  Gonna have to make a run back again to sample some of their better stuff.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #487: March 01, 2013, 08:56:05 PM »
I'm thinking the malted barley will make that taste really good. The 100% rye Catoctin Creek (distilled in Purcellville) is not very refined.

Surprisingly smooth for 124 proof.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #488: March 24, 2013, 08:35:13 PM »

Made it back yesterday.  Toured the distillery - nice folks, an enjoyable and fairly short tour, and picked up a bottle of their premier product,  a rye that also blends 1/3 barley.  Plenty of flavor from the smoked barley, charcoal barrels and apple & cherry wood chips the whisky ages with.  Not what I would call smooth, but lots of flavor packed into that bottle. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #489: March 25, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »
Surprisingly smooth for 124 proof.

Actually a lot of high-ABV spirits are quite smooth - some years ago I had cask-strength Old Grand Dad (about 60% ABV) and it was incredibly smooth.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #490: April 09, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »
Psychiatrists vs. Bartenders

EVER SINCE I WAS A CHILD, I'VE ALWAYS HAD A FEAR OF SOMEONE UNDER MY BED AT NIGHT. SO I WENT TO A SHRINK AND TOLD HIM:

'I've got problems. Every time I go to bed I think there's somebody under it. I'm scared. I think I'm going crazy.'
'Just put yourself in my hands for one year,' said the shrink. 'Come talk to me three times a week and we should be able to get rid of those fears.'
'How much do you charge?'
'Eighty dollars per visit,' replied the doctor.
'I'll sleep on it,' I said.

Six months later the doctor met me on the street. 'Why didn't you come to see me about those fears you were having?' he asked.
'Well, Eighty bucks a visit three times a week for a year is an awful lot of money! A bartender cured me for $10. I was so happy to have saved all that money that I went and bought me a new pickup!'

'Is that so!' With a bit of an attitude he said, 'and how, may I ask, did a bartender cure you?'

'He told me to cut the legs off the bed! Ain't nobody under there now!'  =-O

FORGET THE SHRINKS..

HAVE A DRINK & TALK TO A BARTENDER!

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #491: June 23, 2013, 06:52:16 PM »
I bought a bottle of Concannon Irish Whiskey (it was pretty well reviewed). I like it. Barley and corn. Made by the independent Cooley Distillery. $25.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #492: September 06, 2013, 08:59:32 PM »
Friend gave me a bottle of the other significant Wasmund's product - the single malt.  Malted barley, smoked before fermenting and aging with apple, oak and and cherry chips.

LOVE this whiskey.   America's a wonderful place.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #493: September 06, 2013, 09:03:04 PM »
I find it hard to believe Terp that you have friends so nice

Friend gave me a bottle of the other significant Wasmund's product - the single malt.  Malted barley, smoked before fermenting and aging with apple, oak and and cherry chips.

LOVE this whiskey.   America's a wonderful place.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #494: September 06, 2013, 09:03:43 PM »
I find it hard to believe Terp that you have friends so nice

Only by contrast.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #495: September 06, 2013, 09:06:58 PM »
HeHeHeHe...

Thank you.  I use to look forward to commentary like this by Blue & MDS, but for some reason they have gone in hibernation

Only by contrast.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #496: September 06, 2013, 09:10:57 PM »
HeHeHeHe...

Thank you.  I use to look forward to commentary like this by Blue & MDS, but for some reason they have gone in hibernation

Blue's posting from time to time. 

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #497: September 06, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »
THAT CHICKEN crapHEAD !!!

He may surface from time to time, but he has become way to timid to amount to anything on here

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #498: September 06, 2013, 10:36:32 PM »
Firefly sweet tea vodka is my new best friend.  So far just John Daly's, but the other night I muddled some cut-up very ripe peaches, added a touch of OJ, and a couple of shots of FF.  Very very nice.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #499: September 06, 2013, 10:38:41 PM »

"blue" live is much better.   :)