Author Topic: Plan "B"  (Read 111631 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Plan "B"
« Reply #2750: January 30, 2009, 02:56:37 PM »
It isn't a bad option if you use sportsfan's logic and compare him to Wil Cordero.   :?

Schmidt beer is a good beer because it's better than Milkawkee's Best.

I'm sure almost every team in the league would love to have Wil Nieves as their back-up catcher.

Or would you rather have Johnny Estrada, Wiki Gonzalez, Gary Bennett, etc.? :?

« Reply #2751: January 30, 2009, 02:59:23 PM »
I'm sure almost every team in the league would love to have Wil Nieves as their back-up catcher.

I doubt this. It sucks when you upgrade from Betamax (Estrada, Lo Duca, Bennett, etc.) to VHS (Nieves), but everyone else still has better quality than you because they have already moved on to DVD or Blu-Ray.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2752: January 30, 2009, 03:05:37 PM »
Name ten back-up catchers who are better than Nieves.

Go!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2753: January 30, 2009, 03:05:48 PM »
I'd take Nieves as a back-up catcher over the other 4 from our division. No question.

NL East Back-up Catchers
Mets - Schneider/Castro
Braves - David Ross
Marlins - Mike Rabelo
Phils - Chris Coste/Ronny Paulino
Nats - Wil Nieves

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2754: January 30, 2009, 03:07:39 PM »
Nieves is roughly the same as Castro.

But for the Mets, it appears as if Castro is going to end up being their starter since Schneider is so awful. :rofl:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2755: January 30, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »

Go!
Impossible.

« Reply #2756: January 30, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »

Go!

There is a reason they are called "back-up catchers", dude. They are just a talking point when there isn't anything else to talk about. ;)

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2757: January 30, 2009, 03:14:15 PM »
So Nieves is now our starter?  Hmm, I never got that.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2758: January 30, 2009, 03:15:44 PM »
NL Back-up Catchers
Mets - Schneider/Castro
Braves - David Ross
Marlins - Mike Rabelo
Phils - Chris Coste/Ronny Paulino
Nats - Wil Nieves

Cardinals - Jason LaRue
Cubs - Paul Bako
Astros - J.R. Towles/Toby Hall/Humberto Quintero
Pirates - Robinson Diaz?
Reds - Wilkin Castillo?
Brewers - Mike Rivera

Padres - Henry Blanco
Giants - Pablo Sandoval/Steve Holm
Dodgers - Brad Ausmus
Rockies - Yorvit Torrealba
Dbacks- Miguel Montero

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #2759: January 30, 2009, 03:16:47 PM »
It sucks when you upgrade from Betamax (Estrada, Lo Duca, Bennett, etc.) to VHS (Nieves), but everyone else still has better quality than you because they have already moved on to DVD or Blu-Ray.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2760: January 30, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »
Hinske signs with the Pirates for 1-year, $1.5 Million. We're stuck with NJ now.  :?

On Friday alone, the Pirates secured the long-term services of their breakout star pitcher and also signed a fourth outfielder.

After physicals were passed, lefty starter Paul Maholm inked a three-year contract with a fourth-year club option for 2012 that avoided arbitration. Veteran free-agent outfielder Eric Hinske signed a one-year deal.

Maholm is guaranteed $14.5 million: $3.5 million this season, $4.5 million next season and $5.75 million in 2011. He also has a $9.75 million club option for 2012, which could be his first free-agency year. The buyout for that option is $750,000.

Maholm emerged as Pittsburgh's ace in 2008 when he went 9-9 with a 3.71 ERA and established career highs in innings pitched (206 1/3), strikeouts (139) and starts (31).

Hinske's contract is a one-year deal worth $1.5 million, with performance bonuses that can push that to $2.5 million.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2761: January 30, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
Hinske signs with the Pirates for 1-year, $1.5 Million. We're stuck with NJ now.  :?

On Friday alone, the Pirates secured the long-term services of their breakout star pitcher and also signed a fourth outfielder.

After physicals were passed, lefty starter Paul Maholm inked a three-year contract with a fourth-year club option for 2012 that avoided arbitration. Veteran free-agent outfielder Eric Hinske signed a one-year deal.

Maholm is guaranteed $14.5 million: $3.5 million this season, $4.5 million next season and $5.75 million in 2011. He also has a $9.75 million club option for 2012, which could be his first free-agency year. The buyout for that option is $750,000.

Maholm emerged as Pittsburgh's ace in 2008 when he went 9-9 with a 3.71 ERA and established career highs in innings pitched (206 1/3), strikeouts (139) and starts (31).

Hinske's contract is a one-year deal worth $1.5 million, with performance bonuses that can push that to $2.5 million.
Thank God. A ham sandwich plays better than that load. And Hinske should be very familiar with ham sandwiches.

MrMadison

« Reply #2762: January 30, 2009, 03:51:51 PM »
yeah cause Hinske is sooooooooo much better and more preferable to rational people than Dunn is, sportsfan.  :roll:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2763: January 30, 2009, 04:10:06 PM »
I doubt this. It sucks when you upgrade from Betamax (Estrada, Lo Duca, Bennett, etc.) to VHS (Nieves), but everyone else still has better quality than you because they have already moved on to DVD or Blu-Ray.

There is a reason they are called "back-up catchers", dude. They are just a talking point when there isn't anything else to talk about. ;)

:clap:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #2764: January 30, 2009, 04:12:19 PM »
yeah cause Hinske is sooooooooo much better and more preferable to rational people than Dunn is, sportsfan.  :roll:

Someone will have to explain sportsfan's fascination with Hinske. That dude's best season was 7 years ago when he was a rookie. Is it just because he has come to despise Dunn so much? I can't make any sense of it. I think I'd rather take my chances with NJ staying healthy than being stuck with that dude.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2765: January 30, 2009, 05:00:09 PM »
Someone will have to explain sportsfan's fascination with Hinske. That dude's best season was 7 years ago when he was a rookie. Is it just because he has come to despise Dunn so much? I can't make any sense of it. I think I'd rather take my chances with NJ staying healthy than being stuck with that dude.
I suggested Hinske as a back-up option. We would go with NJ as starter and if/when he got hurt we could plug in Hinske. I'd rather pay Hinske $1.5 Million for 1 year than Adam Dunn $40 Million for 3 years. Hinske might not be the better player between the two but signing him would be a lot more reasonable.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2766: January 30, 2009, 05:04:25 PM »
I'd rather pay Hinske $1.5 Million for 1 year than Adam Dunn $40 Million for 3 years. Hinske might not be the better player between the two but signing him would be a lot more reasonable.

What are you the Lerners accountant?  Our payroll is just about at the bottom and we have tons of room to add quality players.  Why do you as a fan worry about that stuff?

MrMadison

« Reply #2767: January 30, 2009, 05:05:58 PM »
Why do you as a fan worry about that stuff?

I'll ask you the same question.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2768: January 30, 2009, 05:13:02 PM »
Because Dunn is not worth that much money and giving him that kind of deal will hurt this franchise in the long term. It would restrict our ability to acquire legit FAs in the future. Why waste all that money on a third-tier player like Dunn at this point?

Is Adam Dunn worth $11+ Million more dollars per year than Eric Hinske? No way.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2769: January 30, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »
I'll ask you the same question.

I've only gone over this a gazillion times.

The Lerners are making money hand over fist while trotting out a crappy product. I don't mind them making the money because we've know since the days of the Expos that this was a big, lucrative market. So spend they should dough that they're collecting from the fans and give them a major league product worth watching.

What we saw last year, the Lerners should be embarrassed and ashamed. The revenues are there to support a much higher payroll.  (there's your cue to bring in the Yankees and Steinbrenner *shrug* )

MrMadison

« Reply #2770: January 30, 2009, 05:22:25 PM »
I've only gone over this a gazillion times.

no, you aren't understanding what I am getting at here.

why is it ok for you to "worry about such things"..."as a fan", but not ok for someone else to?

why is it alright for you to be obsessed with the money figures, but when someone else mentions money, you say "why do you even worry about that?"

Offline spidernat

« Reply #2771: January 30, 2009, 05:46:59 PM »
Because Dunn is not worth that much money and giving him that kind of deal will hurt this franchise in the long term.

By now I think sportsfan has convinced himself that this is true.   :rofl:

why is it alright for you to be obsessed with the money figures, but when someone else mentions money, you say "why do you even worry about that?"

Do you really not see the difference?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2772: January 30, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »
no, you aren't understanding what I am getting at here.

why is it ok for you to "worry about such things"..."as a fan", but not ok for someone else to?

Fair enough. I've always been curious to hear why fans are worried about the owner of their favorite team going out and spending money with the intent of improving the team.  It's not like we're pushing the envelope for spending and have to worry about hitting the salary cap (yes, I know there isn't one in baseball).

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #2773: January 30, 2009, 06:40:16 PM »
Because Dunn is not worth that much money and giving him that kind of deal will hurt this franchise in the long term. It would restrict our ability to acquire legit FAs in the future. Why waste all that money on a third-tier player like Dunn at this point?

Is Adam Dunn worth $11+ Million more dollars per year than Eric Hinske? No way.

Haha dude i'm sorry i have to call you out on this one.  First dunn was a second-tier, now he's a third-tier?  Just like that?  And I gotta agree with Boz, I think because of how long this has dragged on, the more likely his price has dropped. 

I said give him a three-year deal, I still think it's a wise move.  I would be flat out shocked if he got more than three years (in fact, he may only get a two-year deal).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2774: January 30, 2009, 06:41:55 PM »
Haha dude i'm sorry i have to call you out on this one.  First dunn was a second-tier, now he's a third-tier?  Just like that?  And I gotta agree with Boz, I think because of how long this has dragged on, the more likely his price has dropped. 

Boz pointed out today that his career is very closely parallel to Reggie Jackson, and Harmon Killebrew, and that 5 more years of this 40/100 business and he's looking at the HOF.