Author Topic: Bryce Harper 2018 and beyond  (Read 117469 times)

Offline rileyn

Re: Bryce Harper 2018 and beyond
« Reply #2075: August 31, 2018, 06:58:15 AM »
Dr. Phil this is based on what?
7 years worth of data.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2076: August 31, 2018, 07:28:16 AM »
7 years worth of data.

Which was obviously compiled with your unlimited access to the Nats clubhouse.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #2077: August 31, 2018, 07:45:18 AM »
And he sucks the life out of a room.  Personality doesn't play well with others and puts everybody else not named Jayson Werth in uncomfortable positions.

Really, this is laughable. You and every average fan have no idea how he affects the locker room or relates to other players. Pure speculation.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2078: August 31, 2018, 07:46:17 AM »
What have we won since he has taken the mantle from Zimmerman?

Wrong question. The question should be "does he make the Nats a better team in 2019 and beyond?"

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2079: August 31, 2018, 07:51:06 AM »

Harper was touted as a future Hall of Famer. Once in a generation talent. The Chosen One. And we've seen it one season. So far, he's averaged 128 games a season, 25 home runs, and a .285/.386/.515. Like, that's really good, but that doesn't match the hype. That's basically Freddie Freeman.

That's on you if you believed the hype. What I saw with my own eyes when he got in to MLB was a multi-tool, ASG level talent who has a chance to be something special. (Still believe that because he's only 25.) Any one who speculates about the HOF based on scout projections will be disappointed often.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #2080: August 31, 2018, 08:06:30 AM »
From Boswell, Aug 20...

"Harper is dynamic when hot, but, like Reggie Jackson, he's only going to lead in the sense that he LOVES the spotlight. He sets an example of "don't be scared of the moment." (Though the post-season hasn't loved him a lot so far.) Otherwise, like Reggie, he's in his own Bryce World. I mentioned to him recently that he reminded me in a lot of ways of Reggie. He got it, liked it. But that's not ALL good. On Saturday, with the Nats down by two runs in the 9th, one out, nobody on base, when 100% of his job was to get on base, he swung at a 3-1 pitcher's pitch and chopped out routinely to first base. What!!??? Regardless of what was actually in his mind that screams "Selfish" to teammates. That says "Home Run title is on my mind." That says, "Take a strike for the team, nah, not this time." I asked Martinez about it yesterday, what about that out on a 3-1 pitch? He AGREED! I almost fell off my chair. Of course, he then walked back his answer with how the player, especially one as good and experienced as Bryce, knows his own game best. "Let the player decide." But then he actually said that thinking about "I'll take a pitch" (for the team), was something Bryce might think more about over time. "

Offline rileyn

« Reply #2081: August 31, 2018, 08:12:49 AM »
Boswell, Aug 27......

"Harper is unique. More than any player in baseball, he's conscious of "branding" himself. Yesterday, he wore shoes modeled on his father's work boots. That would be fine with me if, twice in the last two weeks, he hadn't swung at 3-1 pitches in the 9th inning of games where all the Nats desperately needed was a baserunner. He can wear bedroom slippers on his feet as long as he knows when he should "take" one for the team."

Offline rileyn

« Reply #2082: August 31, 2018, 08:18:38 AM »
Boswell, Aug 27.....sucking air out of the room.....

"He's as good as his numbers. But he's no more than his numbers. He's not a team detriment, but he's not a team leader. And if he isn't a guy with some positive X Factor after 7 years, he probably won't be. You haven't won with him, so what's the big deal about moving on without him when you've already ready built your OF of the Future with Soto, Eaton, Robles, and Taylor. Besides, whether he tries to do it or not, HE SUCKS ALL THE AIR OUT OF THE ROOM because he's a "mega-personality" and works to keep it that way. It's possible you might be better subtracting him."

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2083: August 31, 2018, 08:21:40 AM »
Boswell, Aug 27......

"Harper is unique. More than any player in baseball, he's conscious of "branding" himself. Yesterday, he wore shoes modeled on his father's work boots. That would be fine with me if, twice in the last two weeks, he hadn't swung at 3-1 pitches in the 9th inning of games where all the Nats desperately needed was a baserunner. He can wear bedroom slippers on his feet as long as he knows when he should "take" one for the team."

Both of your examples mentioned swinging at 3-1 pitches as if that proves your point. Show us multiple quotes from teammates that disparage him and I’ll believe you.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #2084: August 31, 2018, 08:26:57 AM »
Both of your examples mentioned swinging at 3-1 pitches as if that proves your point. Show us multiple quotes from teammates that disparage him and I’ll believe you.
You’ll see quotes when he leaves. Most of the Nats are quiet. They aren’t going to say much. I think the point is that he is getting the lion’s share of all the glory when he really doesn’t deserve it. And of course there has not been much glory. 

In the end it’s a business decision. What can you do with the money you don’t spend on Harper? Do you think if you spend on Harper he will improve? No reason for emotions to rule the day for the team.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #2085: August 31, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
Both of your examples mentioned swinging at 3-1 pitches
More accurately, the quote was "3-1 pitcher's pitch".  Nobody is complaining about swinging at a 3-1 pitch.  But we've all been taught since age 10 that 2-0 and 3-1 are "hitters' counts".  You sit on a given type pitch in a specific location and if that's not what you see, don't swing.   By "pitcher's pitch" I assume he means a well-thrown strike that had very little chance of being hit hard.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2086: August 31, 2018, 08:38:44 AM »
Boswell, Aug 27.....sucking air out of the room.....

"He's as good as his numbers. But he's no more than his numbers. He's not a team detriment, but he's not a team leader. And if he isn't a guy with some positive X Factor after 7 years, he probably won't be. You haven't won with him, so what's the big deal about moving on without him when you've already ready built your OF of the Future with Soto, Eaton, Robles, and Taylor. Besides, whether he tries to do it or not, HE SUCKS ALL THE AIR OUT OF THE ROOM because he's a "mega-personality" and works to keep it that way. It's possible you might be better subtracting him."

So because Boswell said it makes it so? The laughter continues.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #2087: August 31, 2018, 08:39:13 AM »

Well, he did have a teammate actually try to choke him to death 3 years ago in the middle of a game.  Does that count? 

Other than that, teammates aren't going to provide quotes about Harper while he is still in the clubhouse.  In fact, the only person in that locker room who will carelessly talk about his teammates is Harper....For example, His braindead quote about, "Well if Realmuto was on our team, that wouldn't have happened," putting a Nats hat on Realmuto's head during a the team picture at the all star game, calling the Nats the Sky Chiefs earlier this year, saying Soto shouldn't argue about balls and strikes because the team can't afford to have him ejected (LOL), and so on.....

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2088: August 31, 2018, 08:39:39 AM »
You’ll see quotes when he leaves.

Ok, keep speculating.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2089: August 31, 2018, 08:41:15 AM »
Well, he did have a teammate actually try to choke him to death 3 years ago in the middle of a game.  Does that count? 

You're treading on thin ice if you're taking Pap's side on that one. Pap was psychotic and everyone knew it. That's why no one in baseball touched him after that incident.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #2090: August 31, 2018, 08:41:45 AM »
Ok, keep speculating.
It’s a message board BIL. I will speculate when I want.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #2091: August 31, 2018, 08:42:32 AM »
So because Boswell said it makes it so? The laughter continues.

Boswell has written about baseball for 40 years.  Pay him some respect.  You think he doesn't have the pulse of that locker room?  He has more sources and guys that talk to him in that room than anybody. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #2092: August 31, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »
You're treading on thin ice if you're taking Pap's side on that one. Pap was psychotic and everyone knew it. That's why no one in baseball touched him after that incident.
No one touched him because he couldn’t pitch anymore.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2093: August 31, 2018, 08:42:52 AM »
From Boswell, Aug 20...

"Harper is dynamic when hot, but, like Reggie Jackson, he's only going to lead in the sense that he LOVES the spotlight. He sets an example of "don't be scared of the moment." (Though the post-season hasn't loved him a lot so far.) Otherwise, like Reggie, he's in his own Bryce World. I mentioned to him recently that he reminded me in a lot of ways of Reggie. He got it, liked it. But that's not ALL good. On Saturday, with the Nats down by two runs in the 9th, one out, nobody on base, when 100% of his job was to get on base, he swung at a 3-1 pitcher's pitch and chopped out routinely to first base. What!!??? Regardless of what was actually in his mind that screams "Selfish" to teammates. That says "Home Run title is on my mind." That says, "Take a strike for the team, nah, not this time." I asked Martinez about it yesterday, what about that out on a 3-1 pitch? He AGREED! I almost fell off my chair. Of course, he then walked back his answer with how the player, especially one as good and experienced as Bryce, knows his own game best. "Let the player decide." But then he actually said that thinking about "I'll take a pitch" (for the team), was something Bryce might think more about over time. "

I've always said he reminded me of Reggie. The stuff about swinging on 3-1 is stupid. That's a hitter's count. You are supposed to swing on 3-1 if you think the pitch is good. Not take. So he didn't get a hit on 3-1. That's baseball.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #2094: August 31, 2018, 08:44:05 AM »
What do you think about the Realmuto quote? Wasn’t too smart.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #2095: August 31, 2018, 08:44:07 AM »
Nobody has touched him because he couldn't pitch anymore.  He sucked.  AND, he was also welcomed back to the team the following year. 

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2096: August 31, 2018, 08:51:07 AM »
Nobody has touched him because he couldn't pitch anymore.  He sucked. 

Not buying that. Sorry.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2097: August 31, 2018, 09:11:44 AM »
I don't know about him sucking the life out of the room, but he does seem arrogant and aloof. I just don't think he's ever come to terms with failing. Clearly, he never did it until he got to the majors. Couple that with statements  like "Don't sell me short" and "Where's my ring" and it's not far fetched that he's arrogant. Arguing with umpires, not hustling, playing lackadaisical defense. He gives the perception that he's much more interested in himself being the hero than being a team player. This season reiterates this, with his attitude coming in being that he wanted to hit 55-60 home runs. He spent almost three months trying to hit home runs instead of line drives, and cost the team significantly for it.

Still, I don't think anyone would care if he duplicated 2015 on a regular basis. There in lies the problem. He's demanding an A-Rod style, record breaking contract, while not regularly performing at that level like A-Rod did. Giving him that contract would be a pretty significant chunk of payroll and may limit the team's ability to complete in future years. Baseball is the ultimate team sport. A HoF superstar at one position can't make a team a contender without a supporting cast. The Mets are garbage with deGrom. The Angels have made the playoffs one time with Mike Trout. Two times for the Diamonbacks with Paul G. A superstar cannot carry a team through the season. You need to have a large cadre of quality players.

Now, I am hoping that this season was a wake up call for Harper. He can't blame the first half of the season on injury. He wasn't pitched around. It sounds like he decided to change his approach in pursuit of personal records and accolades. Maybe that changes him, maybe it doesn't. We'll see.

I'm not opposed to a big deal, I just think the first year should have a mutual option at the end of it. If Bryce comes into next season with the goal of hitting .320, that's the guy I want. If he comes back with the goal of hitting 55+ homers, then I'm not interested. But either way, his big contract will probably put the team in a difficult position, where Rizzo will have to continually find and trade prospects for cost controlled talent. Not sure if even MVP Harper is worth that.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #2098: August 31, 2018, 10:15:09 AM »
It’s a message board BIL. I will speculate when I want.

That’s fine as long as we take it for what it is. Just don’t say like it’s a fact. Speculation is opinion and not much more.

spec·u·la·tion
ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n/Submit
no 1.
the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2099: August 31, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »
Boswell has written about baseball for 40 years.  Pay him some respect.  You think he doesn't have the pulse of that locker room?  He has more sources and guys that talk to him in that room than anybody. 

I grew up reading Boz but I can't make it through a column anymore. He does get inside info but his writing style is annoying too read.