Author Topic: 2007 Washington Capitals Season Thread  (Read 61441 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: 2007 Washington Capitals Season Thread
« Reply #175: November 28, 2007, 09:48:57 PM »
What a ****ing joke.. The Caps had 5 chances in the Shootout where they needed just 1 goal to win it and they couldn't get it.. Unbelievably embarrassing. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #176: November 29, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »
I read that there was an "announced" crowd of 10,000, which probably means 6,000-7,000 on a Wednesday night.  The only way the Caps ever pull more than 12,000 these days is when there is a big out-of-town fan contingent.   

I fear that OV is probably as good as gone...the fact that he hasn't already been locked up says to me that he probably won't be...hope I'm wrong.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #177: November 29, 2007, 01:43:45 PM »
I read that there was an "announced" crowd of 10,000, which probably means 6,000-7,000 on a Wednesday night.  The only way the Caps ever pull more than 12,000 these days is when there is a big out-of-town fan contingent.   

I fear that OV is probably as good as gone...the fact that he hasn't already been locked up says to me that he probably won't be...hope I'm wrong.

Its all in the Caps hands, because he is a restricted FA. If he agrees to a contract with someone, the Caps have the right to match.  The Caps might save themselves some money if they sign him earlier.  That savings could be negligible. I believe there is a max contract that can be offered, but who really is in position to offer it.  I dont think the big market teams are in a position to offer such large contracts with the cap. Although the cap hasnt seemed to have curbed any sort of spending by anybody.

I dont know what happens if Ovechkin doesnt sign an offer sheet with someone and thus (i'm assuming) goes back on a one year contract with the Caps. Is he an unrestricted FA after that year? in two or three years?

The Caps did try to build a winner and most people thought they did enough to at least be playoff competitive. I think Ovechkin wanted Kozlov here. They signed his friend Semin long term.  I dont think the Caps would have signed Semin without planning on signing Ovechkin. Ovechkin I think keeps Semin from slacking.

If the Caps want him, he is theirs.  The only way he can get out is by getting to UFA status, which is at least a year away.  He might be waiting to use an offer sheet as leverage. The Caps might be playing chicken, thinking that a huge offer might not be out there due to other team's Cap situations or a possible leveling/decrease in salary cap.  If Ovechkin leaves, it is going to be to a Detroit, NY, Montreal, or Toronto type (hockey hotbed/big market) team. I dont think they left room in their caps for 8-10 million dollar signings.  He might even be willing to take a pay cut to go there, but he cant sign a cheap offer sheet, because the Caps will assuredly match.

• babble on
« Reply #178: November 30, 2007, 11:02:18 AM »
OK, well, that's some consolation...better an unhappy captive OV than no OV at all (and no, I have no basis for saying he is unhappy, though it would be entirely understandable if he were).

Offline Dave B

« Reply #179: November 30, 2007, 11:03:08 AM »
Looks like Gordon is out. Maybe Semin and Clark.  Semin is a good player and all, but he is not 100% now, perhaps the Caps will be a good example of The Patrick Ewing Theory without him now that Bruce Bruce is coaching.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #180: November 30, 2007, 11:39:42 AM »
Cool, I just got banned from posting on the Caps message board until Dec. 7 for god knows why.. I haven't even posted there since the last game. What a complete fraud of a message board..

Offline Dave B

« Reply #181: November 30, 2007, 12:40:41 PM »
Cool, I just got banned from posting on the Caps message board until Dec. 7 for god knows why.. I haven't even posted there since the last game. What a complete fraud of a message board..

Ha.  I have noticed that I get a message deleted from time to time, and I really dont say anything over the top.   One that I actually noticed was in a thread about people getting banned recently and there were some examples of why people got banned, mainly directed at Ted.  I said something to the effect of "What is the saying 'If you can't take the heat, don't own a professional sports team?'". That got deleted.

It is kinda ridiculous.

What did you say to get banned?

I find it childish that they ban people.  Although that board is a zoo. Thats what happens when you have like 20,000 members.  God forbid you post a link that someone else did, then you get snarky  replies directing you to the already relevan thread.  Its like "What is wrong with you, cant you search through three pages of threads that only span about 30 minutes?".  Someone posted something one time and someone replied like "we've already talked about this" and linked to like a 40 page game thread.  There are some miserable motherfreakers over there

What I like now about that board is that all the experts bashing Ted, the GM, and Hanlon, are upset and yapping about not renewing season tickets. It seems to me that if you are expert enough to critique the front office, you should also be expert enough to have seen this horrid season approaching and not bought tickets for this year if it was going to upset you so much.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #182: November 30, 2007, 04:42:47 PM »
Ha.  I have noticed that I get a message deleted from time to time, and I really dont say anything over the top.   One that I actually noticed was in a thread about people getting banned recently and there were some examples of why people got banned, mainly directed at Ted.  I said something to the effect of "What is the saying 'If you can't take the heat, don't own a professional sports team?'". That got deleted.

It is kinda ridiculous.

What did you say to get banned?

I find it childish that they ban people.  Although that board is a zoo. Thats what happens when you have like 20,000 members.  God forbid you post a link that someone else did, then you get snarky  replies directing you to the already relevan thread.  Its like "What is wrong with you, cant you search through three pages of threads that only span about 30 minutes?".  Someone posted something one time and someone replied like "we've already talked about this" and linked to like a 40 page game thread.  There are some miserable motherfreakers over there

What I like now about that board is that all the experts bashing Ted, the GM, and Hanlon, are upset and yapping about not renewing season tickets. It seems to me that if you are expert enough to critique the front office, you should also be expert enough to have seen this horrid season approaching and not bought tickets for this year if it was going to upset you so much.
uhhh, not really sure what I said to get banned... I said nothing about the front office or ownership.  The last few posts I made were in the Game Thread against Florida from a few days ago.  I used some bad words in describing my disgust in the result of that game but the words always censored on there.  I definitely wasn't the only one expressing their anger in that horrific loss.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #183: November 30, 2007, 09:29:54 PM »
The refs royally screwed the Caps tonight on several occasions.  As is usual the case, AO did it all for the Caps.  This team is so disheartening to watch.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #184: November 30, 2007, 09:41:44 PM »
I'm guessing that's the season for Semin :(

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #185: November 30, 2007, 09:46:28 PM »
You can say the same thing for this team, too.   >:(

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #186: November 30, 2007, 10:40:28 PM »
You can say the same thing for this team, too.   >:(
After watching tonight's game, I'm convinced that even Toe Blake couldn't coach this roster to a playoff spot.  They can't even buy a break.  I also put the blame on McPhee for putting this ragtag team together.

• babble on
« Reply #187: December 01, 2007, 02:46:17 AM »
Part of the Caps' problem is this idiotic SE Division shtick...there are apparently enough retired snowbirds (e.g. Gordie Howe) in Tampon Bay to fill their arena pretty regularly, but the hockey market here is predicated on two things: 1) visiting team fans, and 2), home team fans when the visiting team inspires some interest (i.e. Pittsburgh/Philly/Isles).  Florida?  Atlanta?  Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Offline Dave B

« Reply #188: December 01, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
Part of the Caps' problem is this idiotic SE Division shtick...there are apparently enough retired snowbirds (e.g. Gordie Howe) in Tampon Bay to fill their arena pretty regularly, but the hockey market here is predicated on two things: 1) visiting team fans, and 2), home team fans when the visiting team inspires some interest (i.e. Pittsburgh/Philly/Isles).  Florida?  Atlanta?  Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Yeah. not based on the quality of the team, but watching SE games feels like watching minor leagues. Probably based on their wacky team names

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #189: December 01, 2007, 08:15:35 PM »

I guess it wasn't that bad after all. He's in the lineup tonight.

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #190: December 01, 2007, 09:33:01 PM »
Caps win!  Finally they beat the Panthers!

AFT!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #191: December 01, 2007, 09:47:10 PM »
Good win tonight.  We were due to beat Florida sooner or later.  3-2-1 under coach Boudreau, not too bad.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #192: December 01, 2007, 10:11:59 PM »
Ovechkin was a crazy man in all facets of the game tonight

nospinzone1

« Reply #193: December 01, 2007, 10:46:21 PM »
NEVER IN MY WILDEST DREAMS I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT I WOULD BE ROOTING FOR A RUSSIAN.....OVECHKIN HAS WON ME OVER.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #194: December 02, 2007, 02:11:23 PM »
I entered a contest at that card show in Chantilly.  Look what I won and I don't even follow hockey that much!

We have auto'd cards of Chris Clark, Matt Pettinger, and Alexander Semin (rookie) for you.

Cool huh!  They're mailing them to me.  Not sure if I'll have them this week but if I do, I'll bring them to Dave's!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #195: December 07, 2007, 09:38:58 PM »
Disappointing loss after having all week off.  I can't believe we only lost by 1, it felt like we were down 5.  As usual, they didn't show any intensity until the 3rd period when it was too late.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #196: December 08, 2007, 11:58:04 AM »
Bruce Bruce calling out the goalie. I have not see anybody affiliated with the organization say anything close to bad about Olie since I've been following them since the lockout.  Ouch. Laying it out there in his second or third week of his career. I like it. Now win some freaking games.

"We didn't play good enough to win, or we would have won," Boudreau said. "That was a horrible giveaway for the first goal, and Olie should have had the save. He's too good a goalie to let those things go in."

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #197: December 08, 2007, 12:34:40 PM »
I'm starting to believe that Olie is the hockey version of Brian Schneider

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #198: December 08, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »
I'm starting to believe that Olie is the hockey version of Brian Schneider
Not a bad comparison.  Kolzig is a good guy and team leader but his play has definitely declined over the last few years.

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #199: December 08, 2007, 03:54:29 PM »
Bruce Bruce calling out the goalie. I have not see anybody affiliated with the organization say anything close to bad about Olie since I've been following them since the lockout.  Ouch. Laying it out there in his second or third week of his career. I like it. Now win some ******* games.

"We didn't play good enough to win, or we would have won," Boudreau said. "That was a horrible giveaway for the first goal, and Olie should have had the save. He's too good a goalie to let those things go in."

If that's the way Coach Boudreau sees it, then I have no problem with that.  I think that many fans feel that because Olie's a longtime vet, a popular player, and an asset to the community, that it means he's immune to any criticism; that he can do no wrong.  Sometimes even the vets need a little kick in the backside.