Author Topic: 2007 Washington Redskins Season Thread  (Read 38608 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
2007 Washington Redskins Season Thread
« Topic Start: September 18, 2007, 12:07:42 AM »
I figured it might be good to start this since discussions about football pop up here and there, and they often have to do with the Redskins.

What a start to this season!  I haven't been so excited since the 4-1 in '99.  Not only are they 2-0, but they just owned a division rival on the road and have 2 winnable games ahead of them.

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: 2007 Redskins discussion thread
« Reply #1: September 18, 2007, 12:10:36 AM »
Just allow me to add: I saw an interesting discussion starting up between kimnat and spidernat in the game thread tonight.

I agree with spidernat in that Gibbs's clock management has been horrible.  Kim tried to downplay it as a permissable mistake, but this has been a recurring theme under Gibbs.  It was especially bad in 2004, but it's still something that hasn't corrected itself.  Overall game management and discipline has been ridiculous at times.  How hard is it to consistently get plays off on time?  Especially when you're given ample time because the referees stop play.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2: September 18, 2007, 12:25:35 AM »
Just allow me to add: I saw an interesting discussion starting up between kimnat and spidernat in the game thread tonight.

I agree with spidernat in that Gibbs's clock management has been horrible.  Kim tried to downplay it as a permissable mistake, but this has been a recurring theme under Gibbs.  It was especially bad in 2004, but it's still something that hasn't corrected itself.  Overall game management and discipline has been ridiculous at times.  How hard is it to consistently get plays off on time?  Especially when you're given ample time because the referees stop play.

It happened again in the 3rd quarter when we had a 3rd and short. Gibbs burned another timeout because he seems to lose his poise in critical situations. Those timeouts can come back to bite you in a closer game. The Skins left some points on the field and the game should've been more lopsided than it turned out. It may have spelled saltydad some anxiety :lol:  But I'm thrilled that we won.

The problem is that Gibbs gets a pass from some people in spite of the fact that he himself said he should not get a pass for what he accomplished in the past. He has been canonized as St Gibbs and can walk on water in some people's eyes. He himself has been INSISTING since his return that he is in charge of picking the players not Snyder. So he is either failing to make wise personnel decisions or he is lying. Which is it? He's better off being guilty of the former since his reputation as a good man is on the line in the latter.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #3: September 18, 2007, 12:36:26 AM »
The Redskins D was very solid tonight although I was a little ticked at the lack of pressure on McNabb.  If they could ever find a way to get to the QB more this could be one of the best defensive units in all of the NFL.  I was very impressed with Campbell.  He was very clutch and completed several huge 3rd down plays and that TD before the half was Amazing.  Once again Suisham was $$$$.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #4: September 18, 2007, 12:38:15 AM »
I haven't heard about Randy Thomas but a torn triceps doesn't sound good. You can only lose but so many guys to injury before it begins to take its toll on the performance.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #5: September 18, 2007, 12:44:35 AM »
Thomas going down again this year can be a blow depending on how bad the muscle tear is. My son Shawn said everyone in NY he was watching with were amazed at JC's arm. I haven't seen it yet (still on the DVR) but he said at one  point Campbell overthrew Santana for a total of around 60 yards!

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #6: September 18, 2007, 12:49:51 AM »
The Redskins D was very solid tonight although I was a little ticked at the lack of pressure on McNabb.  If they could ever find a way to get to the QB more this could be one of the best defensive units in all of the NFL.  I was very impressed with Campbell.  He was very clutch and completed several huge 3rd down plays and that TD before the half was Amazing.  Once again Suisham was $$$$.
Oh, I totally agree.  I naged about that on another board.  During those last two Eagles offensive drives, they were giving McNabb all the time in the world.  The coverage is solid, the run D is superb, but the front 7 does a terrible job at getting to the QB.  That's the one missing piece for that unit.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #7: September 18, 2007, 12:50:31 AM »
Thomas going down again this year can be a blow depending on how bad the muscle tear is. My son Shawn said everyone in NY he was watching with were amazed at JC's arm. I haven't seen it yet (still on the DVR) but he said at one  point Campbell overthrew Santana for a total of around 60 yards!

The pass probably traveled farther than 60 yards and he badly overthrew him. That would've been a sweet dagger to deliver in their stadium after they egged the Redskins team bus coming in to the stadium. I don't understand why they are allowed to get away with that with impunity. And it had nothing to do with the way the fans are in Philly. The people in charge should not allow this sort of thing to happen. They do it because they let them get away with it. That's precisely why I don't hold back on them when their stupid fans step into our stadium.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #8: September 18, 2007, 12:52:14 AM »
Oh, I totally agree.  I naged about that on another board.  During those last two Eagles offensive drives, they were giving McNabb all the time in the world.  The coverage is solid, the run D is superb, but the front 7 does a terrible job at getting to the QB.  That's the one missing piece for that unit.

Springs missed most of the 4th quarter. And Smoot was inactive. Daniels was also inactive. They need to get some of these guys healthy or it will all unravel fast. Where have I heard that before? But Rocky McIntosh is a total monster.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #9: September 18, 2007, 01:03:18 AM »
Landry and McIntosh have both played well.  I'll question Gibbs's game management abilities, but certainly not his eye for talent in the draft.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #10: September 18, 2007, 02:55:19 PM »
I love this thread! This one should definitely stay open. Go Washington ______!

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #11: September 18, 2007, 04:14:24 PM »
The Redskins D was very solid tonight although I was a little ticked at the lack of pressure on McNabb...

One of Gibbs' biggest failures since his return is the complete absence of a pass rush.  Every year he does NOTHING to address it.  We were dead last in sacks in 2006.  The Eagles had three members of their secondary out injured during the game.  So Campbell could pretty much throw at will on them.  They were making some progress running, but abandoned it at the end.  They should have thrown short passes all the way down the field, to run out the clock, instead of IDIOTICALLY going three-and-out with the failed bomb to Santana Moss. 

Gibbs used Mark Ripien, (who was a lot less accurate than Jason Campbell), to get to his last Super Bowl, essentially throwing bombs downfield.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #12: September 18, 2007, 04:17:37 PM »
Now that's a very good point, N2P!

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #13: September 18, 2007, 04:51:15 PM »
I don't se what yall so happy about. You guys barely beat a horrible Miami team, with a has been qb, an incompetant offensive line, and they still only loss by three points. Worst of all that defense isn't that very good but yet yall were only able to ut up sixteen points against em.

And then yall didn't owned tha Eagles last night. They were right there in tha last minutes with an opportunity to come score and tied tha game up. McNabb obviously has been rushed back to early from tha knee injury. He was overthrowing reciever all night. A healthy McNabb is tha differnce int his game

Wait till tha deadskins play a real team. I now found a thread that'll keep me heere in tha off-season. I'll be around periodically to talk down on yall squad and tell yall tha truth about tha deadskins since you guys seem to be recluse from tha football world when it comes to your beloved skids.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: September 18, 2007, 05:00:15 PM »
Metssuck, we're 2-0, and we're going to enjoy it, and you aren't going to stop us, dammit! :woop: :clap: :koolaid: :glug: :P

Offline spidernat

« Reply #15: September 18, 2007, 05:06:54 PM »
Metssuck, we're 2-0, and we're going to enjoy it, and you aren't going to stop us, dammit! :woop: :clap: :koolaid: :glug: :P

Ignore him that's what he wants. Like I said before, he fits the profile of a bandwagon Dallas fan who likes to be that in this area to be noticed.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #16: September 18, 2007, 05:08:28 PM »
One of Gibbs' biggest failures since his return is the complete absence of a pass rush.  Every year he does NOTHING to address it.  We were dead last in sacks in 2006.  The Eagles had three members of their secondary out injured during the game.  So Campbell could pretty much throw at will on them.  They were making some progress running, but abandoned it at the end.  They should have thrown short passes all the way down the field, to run out the clock, instead of IDIOTICALLY going three-and-out with the failed bomb to Santana Moss. 

Gibbs used Mark Ripien, (who was a lot less accurate than Jason Campbell), to get to his last Super Bowl, essentially throwing bombs downfield.

(Image removed from quote.)

That call at that time was brilliant and it caught the Eagles off guard. Campbell just misfired on the throw. It otherwise would've been a sweet dagger to the Eagles and their fans.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #17: September 18, 2007, 05:12:55 PM »

Ignore him that's what he wants. Like I said before, he fits the profile of a bandwagon Dallas fan who likes to be that in this area to be noticed.

LOL but as i've mentioned before i'm born in dc yes, but i've spent most of my childhood to tha end of hs in milwaukee. i'm not some area bandwagon fan in tha urea, as aren't a lot of boys fan in tha area. wonder why its so hard for you to grasp that?

lol, i figure this is just your way shying away from tha points i make that ether your squad. You can't respond to em, so you have to change tha subject and question my credibilty as a cowboys fan.

Youre maddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #18: September 18, 2007, 05:15:14 PM »

That call at that time was brilliant and it caught the Eagles off guard. Campbell just misfired on the throw. It otherwise would've been a sweet dagger to the Eagles and their fans.

QFT. That TD would have put the game away, while the run game would have probably just given the Eagles a minute less to work with. It was definitely worth it. Just didn't work out. Now, the almost kick decision near halftime had/has me worried.

Offline LeonidasNats311

« Reply #19: September 18, 2007, 05:20:13 PM »
I don't se what yall so happy about. You guys barely beat a horrible Miami team, with a has been qb, an incompetant offensive line, and they still only loss by three points. Worst of all that defense isn't that very good but yet yall were only able to ut up sixteen points against em.

I think we know about their QB seeing as he is a Redskins reject. :)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #20: September 18, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
QFT. That TD would have put the game away, while the run game would have probably just given the Eagles a minute less to work with. It was definitely worth it. Just didn't work out. Now, the almost kick decision near halftime had/has me worried.

With good reason. There was mass confusion going on at the time. Today they came up with the excuse that the radio in Campbell's helmet went out. How convenient is that? But they were able to make calls right after the delay of game. They have to fix that ASAP before it comes back to haunt them.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #21: September 18, 2007, 05:22:43 PM »
So Randy Thomas will have surgery tomorrow, which probably means he's done for the season.

Offline LeonidasNats311

« Reply #22: September 18, 2007, 05:25:26 PM »
So Randy Thomas will have surgery tomorrow, which probably means he's done for the season.

Positivity please? haha

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #23: September 18, 2007, 05:27:58 PM »
Positivity please? haha

Well, the line held up OK without him. This team has to have heart to make it this year. I believe!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #24: September 18, 2007, 05:52:41 PM »
question my credibilty as a cowboys fan.

Now here's a real oxymoron! credibility= cowboys fan