Author Topic: Wood/Crews Debuts  (Read 1908 times)

Offline machpost

Re: Wood/Crews Debuts
« Reply #25: March 08, 2024, 12:56:40 PM »
Soto was an accident. The entire MLB, AAA, and AA outfield were all injured. He was supposed to be a short term replacement but he was too good to send back down.
I keep thinking that filling in for an injured player and outperforming the player(s) they're replacing both offensively and defensively would be the only way we see either Crews or Wood before September.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #26: March 08, 2024, 12:58:21 PM »
This. The lesson from Soto should be to keep them in the minors longer so that their peak coincides with team control.
Eh, if the Nationals are ~10 games over .500 in Junes and the OF is depleted by injuries while Crews/Woods are mashing in AAA, I'd be happy calling either of them up.

My bigger opinion is call them up and if they do well early, then sign them long term then and trade their cheaper years for a couple more affordable years on the back end.

I think the Nationals would have liked to do that for Soto, but they were top 5 in payroll at the time and they didn't have the money to do it even coming out of 2019. And COVID-19 was the end of all things good.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #27: March 08, 2024, 01:24:02 PM »
We aren’t “tanking” as in trying to lose.  There simply wasn’t reason to spend big on free agents until probably another year when the young core is pushing being ready to start competing with a few additions.  I’m sure they would love Abrams, Gray, Gore, Ruiz, etc to progress and some of the vets surprise and exceed expectations, like last year.

The goal this year is development of the core future guys.  Perhaps some older guys can be used as some form of trade assets.  Next year should be when they stop filling the lineup with stopgap bodies and it’s all talented young guys and outside free agents.

Yep.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #28: March 08, 2024, 01:24:03 PM »
I keep thinking that filling in for an injured player and outperforming the player(s) they're replacing both offensively and defensively would be the only way we see either Crews or Wood before September.
it's Robles and Rosario they have to outperform after an injury. That's doable

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #29: March 08, 2024, 01:39:09 PM »
Call it tanking or shopping at the Dollar Store.  All the same results.  Will see what they did next off-season.  Also unfortunately the longer you stay as an also ran the harder it becomes to attract free agents.  Will need big overpays to get any of the top guys.  Does that sound like the current ownership group?

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #30: March 08, 2024, 02:21:32 PM »
An early to mid season call up will provide a spark, similar to '10 Strasburg, and what the Orioles have done bringing guys up one at a time.

MacKenzie Gore is Boras and probably gone after 2027, so window could get a little tight.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #31: March 08, 2024, 02:49:48 PM »
We don't even know if these guys will be good at the majors. Just call them up when they're ready. If they're so good that we suddenly are fretting about service time, that just means the team will have more reason to go and acquire more talent via trade and free agency.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #32: March 08, 2024, 04:09:23 PM »
We don't even know if these guys will be good at the majors. Just call them up when they're ready. If they're so good that we suddenly are fretting about service time, that just means the team will have more reason to go and acquire more talent via trade and free agency.

Common sense says this is true.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #33: March 08, 2024, 04:14:41 PM »
Eh, if the Nationals are ~10 games over .500 in Junes and the OF is depleted by injuries while Crews/Woods are mashing in AAA, I'd be happy calling either of them up.

My bigger opinion is call them up and if they do well early, then sign them long term then and trade their cheaper years for a couple more affordable years on the back end.

I think the Nationals would have liked to do that for Soto, but they were top 5 in payroll at the time and they didn't have the money to do it even coming out of 2019. And COVID-19 was the end of all things good.

Why? they're Boras clients, they aren't signing long term. Keep them in the minors for a few years and have them for their peak

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34: March 09, 2024, 11:37:50 AM »
FWIW, Wood is only one of 8 guys on all teams with 30 or more PAs this spring. It's either a heck of a showcase or maybe he's starting to slip into consideration for the roster. Of the other 7 guys, only 2 are unlikely to break camp on the OD roster as a starter.

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #35: March 09, 2024, 12:17:21 PM »
His clock starts ticking earlier toward arbitration.

Gotcha thanks

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #36: March 10, 2024, 03:33:16 PM »
FWIW, Wood is only one of 8 guys on all teams with 30 or more PAs this spring. It's either a heck of a showcase or maybe he's starting to slip into consideration for the roster. Of the other 7 guys, only 2 are unlikely to break camp on the OD roster as a starter.

It’ll be interesting to see if they start to cut his at bats down.  If he keeps taking at bats from the guys expected to be in our OF, then maybe they are considering Wood breaking camp?

It reminds me of Jordan Walker last year.  He ultimately got sent back down and returned and was better.  St. Louis was a situation with more pressure than Wood would face.  Wood breaking camp with the team would give the team and fans some juice and excitement, especially if he can keep his head above water and flash his potential.  Then when that thrill is wearing off, Crews can debut and give another jolt.

Offline welch

« Reply #37: March 10, 2024, 05:41:32 PM »
I think the Nats know what they have in the rest of the outfielders. Call is AAA. Robles will start the season and Nats will hope to flip him. Plus, his leg hurts where he was hit by a pitch.Then Young is the CF. Hassell and Crews are set for Harrisburg and then Rochester. Rosario has just signed, and will need a few days to work into shape. Night Trane Lane Thomas is set. Garrett is hurt, and looks like he won't play in ST. Alu is a utility infielder at Rochester. Gallo is hurt. Winker? He's never been a regular in the majors, so my guess is that Rosario gets the job.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #38: March 10, 2024, 06:16:33 PM »
Wood is the team OPS leader this spring.

Offline welch

« Reply #39: March 10, 2024, 09:04:04 PM »
Woods is the team OPS leader this spring.

I think that Wood is being played to see what he does against a mix of major and minor league pitching, maybe helping to decide whether he starts the season in Harrisburg or Rochester. Crews and Hassell need to master AA.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #40: March 10, 2024, 09:35:42 PM »
I think that Wood is being played to see what he does against a mix of major and minor league pitching, maybe helping to decide whether he starts the season in Harrisburg or Rochester. Crews and Hassell need to master AA.

Agree.  No need to rush any of these guys, but Wood has made the strongest case for AAA across last year plus this year's ST.

Also might not be enough room in the Rochester OF for all these guys plus whoever doesn't make the MLB team to play everyday.   Considering how poor DH/1B offense has been, I'd have them work out a little there as well.  DH can't be Keibert's day off spot, or defaulted to Meneses when guys who can produce more are available.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #41: March 11, 2024, 11:05:13 AM »
Why? they're Boras clients, they aren't signing long term. Keep them in the minors for a few years and have them for their peak
I understand the sentiment, but I think it is about circumstance. If the Nats are bad this year, leave Wood down unless he is putting up absurd numbers and you have to see what he looks like in the majors during an "injury" to a starter before full time call up late in season. I don't think the Nats have much risk of being over .500 once the weather warms up, but that would invite different circumstances for Wood and Crews.

But Harper being called up to the 2012 Nats during what was a push for our first ever winning record was worth the losing a year of control. Juan Soto in 2018 came up with the team 10 games above .500 and trying to squeeze what little time was left with a winning core. I have no problem with either of those decisions.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #42: March 11, 2024, 11:22:33 AM »
But Harper being called up to the 2012 Nats during what was a push for our first ever winning record was worth the losing a year of control. Juan Soto in 2018 came up with the team 10 games above .500 and trying to squeeze what little time was left with a winning core. I have no problem with either of those decisions.
We aren't a .500 team, let alone competing for a playoff spot.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #43: March 11, 2024, 11:30:36 AM »

Neither of those decisions burned a year of control. Harper was a National from 2012 to 2018 which is 7 seasons. Soto debuted in 2018 and won't be a FA until after this season, which is also 7 seasons.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: March 11, 2024, 11:42:41 AM »

we did not lose a year of control of Harper when we called him up. To get 6 full years of control plus the remainder of the season of the call up, you have to wait until about the 3rd week of April for someone on the 40 man roster and I think a little over a week for someone not on the 40 man.  Harper debuted in May 2012, and we had him 6+ years (through 2018). This was similar for Soto. He came in 2018 after the start of the season.

Basic point is that unless Crews and Wood break camp with the Nats, we will get 6+ years, with an asterisk - I think that a player who wins RotY gets a year's service time regardless of the call up date (with some additional conditions, I think).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45: March 11, 2024, 11:47:53 AM »
I am thinking one or both of these guys get call ups for the Colorado series at home that starts on 8/20. It'll be inside 45 days left in the season. The Nats will just have to manage the ABs to keep them under 130 in order to have one or both eligible for RotY in 2025. Doesn't mean one isn't up earlier in the year this year, but with those two, I can't see them passing on not giving it a go for RotY in 2025.

Bigger q might be does Wood leapfrog everyone's expectations and break camp with the Nats off his strong spring. I doubt it, but he's getting an awful lot of chances. I just don't see them saying F the strikeouts, he's ready. Even Judge played most of the year of his debut in the minors.

Offline imref

« Reply #46: March 11, 2024, 01:35:46 PM »
I'm at a point where i'd much rather see the Nats head north with Crews, Wood, and House in the regular lineup than whatever we're putting into LF, Robles/Call/Young in CF, and Senzel at 3rd.

At least there would be a reason to tune into the games.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #47: March 11, 2024, 01:58:38 PM »
I'm at a point where i'd much rather see the Nats head north with Crews, Wood, and House in the regular lineup than whatever we're putting into LF, Robles/Call/Young in CF, and Senzel at 3rd.

At least there would be a reason to tune into the games.

Young is 24 and lightning fast with great D.  He's got a future and while not Wood/Crews, should bring some excitement.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #48: March 11, 2024, 02:27:01 PM »
We aren't a .500 team, let alone competing for a playoff spot.
Well, if you look at the part of my post you removed....

Offline imref

« Reply #49: March 11, 2024, 04:54:20 PM »
This OD lineup could win as many if not more games than anything else we can field:

1. Abrams - SS
2. Thomas - RF
3. Crews - CF
4. Wood - LF
5. Adams - DH
6. Ruiz - C
7. House - 3B
8. YoYo - 1B
9. Lipscomb - 2B

Bench: Young, Vargas, Milas, Baker, Alu

Rotation: Gray, Gore, Rutledge, Irvin, Davies