Author Topic: Are The Nationals in Spring Training?  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Senatorswin

Are The Nationals in Spring Training?
« Topic Start: March 01, 2023, 05:14:49 PM »
I was driving around the DC area today for over three hours. Between 630am, 980am and 106.7fm sports talk, I didn't hear one word about the Nationals or even baseball. It was all football, mostly Commanders, some Chiefs, some Steelers. A little pole vaulting on Andy Pollins show. The sports news updates talked about the Caps trading everybody but not during the normal discussions. Even 103.5fm only talked about the Caps on their sports updates.

Did I miss another baseball team leaving DC?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Are The Nationals in Spring Training?
« Reply #1: March 01, 2023, 07:07:48 PM »
I was driving around the DC area today for over three hours. Between 630am, 980am and 106.7fm sports talk, I didn't hear one word about the Nationals or even baseball. It was all football, mostly Commanders, some Chiefs, some Steelers. A little pole vaulting on Andy Pollins show. The sports news updates talked about the Caps trading everybody but not during the normal discussions. Even 103.5fm only talked about the Caps on their sports updates.

Did I miss another baseball team leaving DC?

So Dan Snyder apparently blocked Jeff Bezos' attempt to buy the Commanders and they released Carson Wentz.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #2: March 01, 2023, 07:40:33 PM »
So Dan Snyder apparently blocked Jeff Bezos' attempt to buy the Commanders and they released Carson Wentz.

That's what I heard. Also, apparently the Commanders franchised Daron Payne and Eric Bieniemy is going to make some smart decisions and Ron Rivera better win next year. It was also important to hear all about the Steelers coach and his coaching methods and Mahomes can pass between his legs.

Meanwhile, we just finished months of football it's time to talk some baseball. At least give it a mention over 3 hours of listening.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: March 01, 2023, 09:18:39 PM »
Its not a needle mover under good circumstances. No one cares about a team that's measure of success is NOT losing 100 games. Especially in DC

Grant and Danny were the only show that ever talked even remotely knowledgablely about baseball, and they have largely moved that over to their podcast.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #4: March 01, 2023, 09:56:59 PM »
Its not a needle mover under good circumstances. No one cares about a team that's measure of success is NOT losing 100 games. Especially in DC

Grant and Danny were the only show that ever talked even remotely knowledgablely about baseball, and they have largely moved that over to their podcast.

That's right. Grant and Danny have some understanding of the game and, when they do talk about the Nats, have some insight to offer. I wish they'd do so more but with the current drama about the WFT, that's not going to happen at least until the regular season gets under way.  Which of the other DC sports talk hosts have anything interesting to say about baseball?

Offline imref

« Reply #5: March 01, 2023, 09:57:42 PM »
That's what I heard. Also, apparently the Commanders franchised Daron Payne and Eric Bieniemy is going to make some smart decisions and Ron Rivera better win next year. It was also important to hear all about the Steelers coach and his coaching methods and Mahomes can pass between his legs.

Meanwhile, we just finished months of football it's time to talk some baseball. At least give it a mention over 3 hours of listening.

But the commanders are for sale. :)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #6: March 01, 2023, 10:02:47 PM »
But the commanders are for sale. :)

Yes, by Daniel Snyder, whose wife Tanya Snyder has been running the franchise while her husband Daniel Snyder looks into leg-lengthening surgery and other ways to "look like a human being" after his  general demeanor and efforts at an open collar, beard, and spray tan just left him being mistaken for Harvey Weinstein's creepy and vindictive little brother.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #7: March 01, 2023, 10:15:25 PM »
Baseball just doesnt move the ratings. Radio is driven entirely by ratings, and the stations are constantly monitoring their metrics. If talking baseball generated listener interest, they would know and do it more.

But it doesnt, so they just talk the football team

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #8: March 01, 2023, 10:37:50 PM »
Baseball just doesnt move the ratings. Radio is driven entirely by ratings, and the stations are constantly monitoring their metrics. If talking baseball generated listener interest, they would know and do it more.

But it doesnt, so they just talk the football team
It’s pretty sad though that folks need to talk about the WFT with nothing else good going on in town.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #9: March 01, 2023, 10:41:01 PM »
Grant and Danny was part of my listening pleasure today. So one might think at least during the short sports news updates the various channels might say, today in Florida Joe Smith pitched 2 innings today and their top prospect Billy Blue was 1 for 2 with a double in the Nats 10 - 5 win.

Washington is a big league city that will attract over a million in attendance this year. You would think they would get some air time. I will admit though it seems football moves the needle more.

Johan Dotson was a guest on 980. There were questions like so what have you been doing in the offseason. I guess football rules.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #10: March 02, 2023, 08:21:46 AM »
I think sports as a whole are being de-emphasized in media. Certainly WTOP.  Went from a 3 minute recap twice and hour to about 1-2 minutes a while back. Used to be they'd throw it to traffic/weather on the 8s directly or maybe after an ad, but then they added top stories as a blurb before going to traffic.  They covered the Caps win, and the UMD men's hoops loss, and might have given another hoops score, and that's it last night / this AM.

Channel 4 doesn't use a sports anchor anymore, and I don't think has anyone at spring training.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #11: March 02, 2023, 08:29:58 AM »
It’s pretty sad though that folks need to talk about the WFT with nothing else good going on in town.
Its like that in most cities for sports. Football reigns supreme.

Offline blue911

« Reply #12: March 02, 2023, 08:42:41 AM »
Yes, by Daniel Snyder, whose wife Tanya Snyder has been running the franchise while her husband Daniel Snyder looks into leg-lengthening surgery and other ways to "look like a human being" after his  general demeanor and efforts at an open collar, beard, and spray tan just left him being mistaken for Harvey Weinstein's creepy and vindictive little brother.

What a terrible thing to say about Harvey

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: March 02, 2023, 09:07:26 AM »
Its like that in most cities for sports. Football reigns supreme.
It’s certainly true in Philly although the Sixers get some buzz. At least the Eagles are not a crap show although you would not know that from the talk radio guys most of the time. Wonder how it is in Boston?

Remember how the NFL was going to lose all those fans after the anthem protests?  LOL.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #14: March 02, 2023, 09:09:44 AM »
Grant and Danny was part of my listening pleasure today. So one might think at least during the short sports news updates the various channels might say, today in Florida Joe Smith pitched 2 innings today and their top prospect Billy Blue was 1 for 2 with a double in the Nats 10 - 5 win.

Washington is a big league city that will attract over a million in attendance this year. You would think they would get some air time. I will admit though it seems football moves the needle more.

Johan Dotson was a guest on 980. There were questions like so what have you been doing in the offseason. I guess football rules.

Danny played D1 baseball at GW I believe. I don't know about Grant. They both seem to know a good amount about baseball and they love the Nats.

I can't do 106.7 on the regular anymore. Just too many commercials including Kars for Kids.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: March 02, 2023, 09:10:58 AM »

What a terrible thing to say about Harvey

:hysterical:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #16: March 02, 2023, 09:13:51 AM »
Danny played D1 baseball at GW I believe. I don't know about Grant. They both seem to know a good amount about baseball and they love the Nats.

More than played. HOF.

https://gwsports.com/news/2022/1/5/baseball-gw-athletics-hall-of-fame-spotlight-danny-rouhier.aspx

Offline Slateman

« Reply #17: March 02, 2023, 09:25:49 AM »

I can't do 106.7 on the regular anymore. Just too many commercials including Kars for Kids.
Grant also moonlights with MLB. Grant and Danny love baseball. If there was an audience for baseball radio talk, they would be talking about it

Offline imref

« Reply #18: March 02, 2023, 09:46:41 AM »
Grant called a bunch of Nats games in recent years and did fine IIRC.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #19: March 02, 2023, 10:35:41 AM »

Remember how the NFL was going to lose all those fans after the anthem protests?  LOL.

Never underestimate old habits and a weekend-centered sport that requires limited time and attention beyond every other sport. Limited attention includes the whole concussion elephant, even with Tua staggering around along and grabbing headlines with the reports and body counts mounting up.

On a related note, I was at the George Mason game for the first in-person indoor sporting event in quite a while. Every single person appeared to be standing for the national anthem, no sitting, kneeling, or anything. Time marches on.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #20: March 02, 2023, 10:56:56 AM »
No one cares about a team that's measure of success is NOT losing 100 games.
You need to lower your expectations.

This is the first season in years that I have actually watched some exhibition games.  I'm enjoying watching the young guys.  I'm planning to enjoy the season.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #21: March 02, 2023, 10:58:19 AM »

This is the first season in years that I have actually watched some exhibition games.  I'm enjoying watching the young guys.  I'm planning to enjoy the season.

Same. Reminds me of 2010 more. Watch the kids. Exciting.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #22: March 02, 2023, 11:10:05 AM »

Same. Reminds me of 2010 more. Watch the kids. Exciting.

Me, too.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #23: March 02, 2023, 11:13:21 AM »

This is the first in years that I have actually watched some exhibition games.  I'm enjoying watching the young guys.  I'm planning to enjoy the season.

It's going to be tough to get on board with that until the lame duck ownership/front office situation is resolved.   With no end in sight to that mess, it just seems like things will get even worse before they get better.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #24: March 02, 2023, 11:49:44 AM »

I'm in. I became a baseball fan enjoying Senators games. It was fun during our dominant years, but it will be fun watching the young players to hopefully getting us back to where we were.