Author Topic: Washington Commanders - get used to it (2023)  (Read 9414 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Washington Commanders - get used to it (2023)
« Topic Start: February 17, 2023, 06:53:09 PM »
Sleeping with Bieniemy new assistant head coach and offensive coordinator

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Re: Washington Commanders? Really? Thread (2022)
« Reply #1: February 17, 2023, 07:44:30 PM »
Prolly ought to start the new season thread.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Re: Washington Commanders? Really? Thread (2022)
« Reply #2: February 17, 2023, 08:30:50 PM »
Sleeping with Bieniemy new assistant head coach and offensive coordinator

That is quite a coup for this organization.  No idea how they pulled that off.  Even if they promised he'd be next in line for the HC gig, it's still the Commies' gig.  You'd have to imagine that he could get a similar set-up somewhere like Carolina, since Reich is another Andy Reid disciple.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Washington Commanders - get used to it (2023)
« Reply #3: February 17, 2023, 08:45:53 PM »
Espn said he's going to hire the offensive assistants and pretty much have complete offensive control.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #4: February 18, 2023, 09:51:47 AM »
That is quite a coup for this organization.  No idea how they pulled that off.  Even if they promised he'd be next in line for the HC gig, it's still the Commies' gig.  You'd have to imagine that he could get a similar set-up somewhere like Carolina, since Reich is another Andy Reid disciple.
They probably gave him the bag and now he gets to have more responsibility building out his staff and scheme. I think he “chose” Washington since there are not that many open OC spots this offseason with a defensive coach who will let OC cook.

Not a bad move for him. Team has been hanging around .500 for three years with a circus at QB. No reason to think defense won’t again be competent next season. Skill positions are set. If Bieniemy can get fringe average play out of Howell, good things can happen. If defense stays where it is and offense is “fine” this team could wind up 11-6 and Bieniemy has no problem getting a HC job.

And if not, he still got the bag.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #5: February 18, 2023, 11:26:59 PM »
I’m not a fan of the Raljon Football Team, but Bienemy should be a HC.  Maybe Snyder is using him to put Ron R on notice.   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6: February 19, 2023, 03:30:46 AM »
I’m not a fan of the Raljon Football Team, but Bienemy should be a HC.  Maybe Snyder is using him to put Ron R on notice.   
Raljon :lmao:  I wonder if you put Raljon in Google whether it could still be found?

I was surprised he was talking to anyone about an OC position, but I think the amount of control he has on the O makes it a good stepping stone.  In KC, with Reid calling the plays, he was always sort of going to be viewed as Matt Patricia to Belichek. At least MP called most of the Ds.  Of course, MP did get his coaching slot, so it is fair to say Bienemy should have gotten a similar slot somewhere.  Given his Colorado ties and Denver's problems, it is a little weird he didn't end up there, but I guess there's something between him and management there that made them look elsewhere.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: February 19, 2023, 07:22:23 AM »
Not saying it’s necessarily appropriate  but this is probably the main reason he does not get a HC job and most likely the assault against the female for which Colorado banned him for a year.

https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=11088938

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #8: February 20, 2023, 12:19:18 PM »
Not saying it’s necessarily appropriate  but this is probably the main reason he does not get a HC job and most likely the assault against the female for which Colorado banned him for a year.

I think there has to be some reason no one has taken a chance on him. Off field stuff may be it. Either way, good on him changing things up. If he fields a decent NLF offense next season can show an ability to field an NFL average offense without Reid over his shoulder and Mahomes fixing everything, he'll get a head coach role without a doubt next offseason.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: February 20, 2023, 12:53:59 PM »
I think there has to be some reason no one has taken a chance on him. Off field stuff may be it. Either way, good on him changing things up. If he fields a decent NLF offense next season can show an ability to field an NFL average offense without Reid over his shoulder and Mahomes fixing everything, he'll get a head coach role without a doubt next offseason.

Washington under Shanny and Gruden was a great launching point for coaching careers. Under Ron, not so much. I still think his history crosses him off of a lot of lists

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #10: February 20, 2023, 01:11:52 PM »
Grant and Danny pointed out that, by the time he was done with the Superbowl, most of the open positions of any sort had been filled.

Raljon :lmao:  I wonder if you put Raljon in Google whether it could still be found?

I was surprised he was talking to anyone about an OC position, but I think the amount of control he has on the O makes it a good stepping stone.  In KC, with Reid calling the plays, he was always sort of going to be viewed as Matt Patricia to Belichek. At least MP called most of the Ds.  Of course, MP did get his coaching slot, so it is fair to say Bienemy should have gotten a similar slot somewhere.  Given his Colorado ties and Denver's problems, it is a little weird he didn't end up there, but I guess there's something between him and management there that made them look elsewhere.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #11: February 20, 2023, 01:12:29 PM »
Danny's kind of guy.

Offline imref

https://sports.yahoo.com/player-report-cards-of-nfl-facilities-reveal-jaw-dropping-details-about-some-teams--including-commanders-202139342.html

A NFLPA poll of players puts the Commanders in last place in terms of player care, facilities, and amenities.

Offline Natsinpwc

https://sports.yahoo.com/player-report-cards-of-nfl-facilities-reveal-jaw-dropping-details-about-some-teams--including-commanders-202139342.html

A NFLPA poll of players puts the Commanders in last place in terms of player care, facilities, and amenities.
Only one way to go!  Winning off the field!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Our long national nightmare may soon be over:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/16/with-sale-of-commanders-believed-to-be-imminent-the-snyders-have-cleared-out-of-the-facility/
Next owner will need to deep clean the whole place.  Wipe everything down with bleach. Also check for spilled milk.

Offline HalfSmokes

Maybe the next owner will reconsider having a training facility an hour away from the stadium

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I'm convinced the new owner finds a way to get the Commanders back into DC. The next best option right now is building anew on the FedEx site, which isn't ideal.

A stadium near the current team facility would be incredible, but it feels like that time to secure that land came and went in mid 2010's

Offline imref

I'm convinced the new owner finds a way to get the Commanders back into DC. The next best option right now is building anew on the FedEx site, which isn't ideal.

A stadium near the current team facility would be incredible, but it feels like that time to secure that land came and went in mid 2010's

A new stadium on the old RFK site would indeed be ideal, but I don't think there's enough support for it anymore in the DC city council or among local residents.

Another option that apparently was considered last year is Poplar Point, across the river from Nats Park. This article talks about that option, but notes that the land is pretty heavily contaminated and would require a massive cleanup to be usable:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/investigations/commanders-stadium/washington-commanders-stadium-search-rfk-dc-location-poplar-point-virginia-maryland/65-bcee48b2-b0e5-4b6f-b12a-22eb6c26696f

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
A new stadium on the old RFK site would indeed be ideal, but I don't think there's enough support for it anymore in the DC city council or among local residents.

Another option that apparently was considered last year is Poplar Point, across the river from Nats Park. This article talks about that option, but notes that the land is pretty heavily contaminated and would require a massive cleanup to be usable:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/investigations/commanders-stadium/washington-commanders-stadium-search-rfk-dc-location-poplar-point-virginia-maryland/65-bcee48b2-b0e5-4b6f-b12a-22eb6c26696f
I wonder if there's money in the bipartisan infrastructure act or the IRA for the feds to handle the remediation at Poplar point and then get a payback from the sale / lease of the land.  110 acres of riverfront on the east coast with easy access to downtown and the major offices of capitol hill sounds like a mega-valuable brownfield that, if suitable to develop after remediation, could be worth a ton. of course, once remediated, there's probably more lucrative uses than a stadium.

Offline imref

I wonder if there's money in the bipartisan infrastructure act or the IRA for the feds to handle the remediation at Poplar point and then get a payback from the sale / lease of the land.  110 acres of riverfront on the east coast with easy access to downtown and the major offices of capitol hill sounds like a mega-valuable brownfield that, if suitable to develop after remediation, could be worth a ton. of course, once remediated, there's probably more lucrative uses than a stadium.

Yep. Starbucks, Taco Bell, and a data center. :)

Offline HalfSmokes

For it to really flourish, you'd need to turn 295 into a tunnel and get rid of Barry farms

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
For it to really flourish, you'd need to turn 295 into a tunnel and get rid of Barry farms
well, there's lots of projects reconnecting neighborhoods by covering or suppressing highways built through minority neighborhoods.  I would suppose reopening waterfront access might fly, but a stadium with a real estate development. would probably be seen as a barrier.

Offline IanRubbish

Congrats from a 49er fan on the strong chances for new ownership
in Raljon.  With Harm City refusing to pay Lamar maybe you’ll get him.

Offline GataNats

Barry Farms is gone now, no?