Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2023 + 2024)  (Read 940 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2023)
« Reply #25: December 19, 2023, 01:22:40 PM »
^Next time I'm up there, I'd really like to try the halibut cheeks at Pike's Market.
Hey keep your weird fetishes to yourself.

Oh I thought your wrote Halle Barry’s cheeks. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #26: December 19, 2023, 02:09:18 PM »
We had halibut cheeks sauteed in a bit of olive oil and butter in Alaska. They were incredible.

Halibut fish and chips were spectacular as well.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #27: December 19, 2023, 06:10:58 PM »
Going Seattle end of January.  Mmmm.  Salmon.  Mmmmm.

Still going, after Monday night, then?  :D   Will you be wearing some Iggles merchandise?... ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #28: December 19, 2023, 08:19:22 PM »
Still going, after Monday night, then?  :D   Will you be wearing some Iggles merchandise?... ;)
I plan to be in full playoff regalia.  LOL. Our son is there.  He watched his Commanders lose in person to Seattle.  I actually did not watch last night as it was not on ESPN+.  Just as well. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #29: December 19, 2023, 11:06:11 PM »
Hey keep your weird fetishes to yourself.

Oh I thought your wrote Halle Barry’s cheeks. 

Can't really fittingly respond to this without getting moved to Uncensored. :lol:

We had halibut cheeks sauteed in a bit of olive oil and butter in Alaska. They were incredible.

Halibut fish and chips were spectacular as well.

:clap: It's things like that, that make me feel sorry for people who don't like seafood.  But I guess I should be thankful they leave more for people like me.

He watched his Commanders lose in person to Seattle.

Heyyyy, good on him for breaking the cycle of fascism! :hysterical:

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #30: December 20, 2023, 02:37:03 AM »
I plan to be in full playoff regalia.  LOL. Our son is there.  He watched his Commanders lose in person to Seattle.  I actually did not watch last night as it was not on ESPN+.  Just as well.

Hope a great time is had by all.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: May 21, 2024, 07:17:49 PM »
Gonna try overnight oats tonight. Basic is 2 parts liquid to one of oats? That is, half cup oats to one of water, milk etc...

Offline blue911

« Reply #32: May 21, 2024, 07:25:11 PM »
Gonna try overnight oats tonight. Basic is 2 parts liquid to one of oats? That is, half cup oats to one of water, milk etc...

Steel cut or Rolled?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #33: May 21, 2024, 07:53:37 PM »
We do 2 to 1 and use steel cut

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #34: May 21, 2024, 08:12:13 PM »
We do 2 to 1 and use steel cut

I use Bob's Red Mill, package calls for a 3-1 ratio.  Since I add chia seeds, ground flaxseed and some dried cranberries I bump that up to 4-1.  Sometimes that even isn't enough.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35: May 21, 2024, 08:20:57 PM »
Steel cut or Rolled?
rolled.

I'm trying 2:1, then will eat it with honey, blueberries, and walnuts. 

I'm used to quick oats and  regular nuking, but this stuff boils over all my bowls before I cook it the minimum recommended time. I figure I'd try overnight stuff instead. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #36: May 21, 2024, 08:27:14 PM »
I use Bob's Red Mill, package calls for a 3-1 ratio.  Since I add chia seeds, ground flaxseed and some dried cranberries I bump that up to 4-1.  Sometimes that even isn't enough.

I feel like that would be soup

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #37: May 21, 2024, 08:44:04 PM »
I feel like that would be soup

Not at all, though I haven't tried overnight. I usually simmer for about a half hour before I can't stand it any longer and have to eat.  Bob's Red Mill is probably more chunky and absorbent than say McCann's.

Chia seeds absorb quite a bit, flaxeeds some.  I honestly measure out a full cup and often have to add a tbs or so at the end of the process to keep it soft.  Then pour goat kefir over it (along with adding blueberries, strawberries, whatever) before eating.

Offline imref

i do 1 cup of milk (almond or oat), 1 cup of rolled outs, a tbsp of chia, and a cup of greek yogurt. I'll usually mix in a bit of honey and some berries.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
the basic 2:1 water to rolled oats left more liquid than I expected. Added the berries, honey, and walnuts this AM with it. May switch to milk as part of the liquid, or yogurt. I'll keep in mind chia seeds. Where the heck did I put the old Werth Chia pet?

Offline imref

the basic 2:1 water to rolled oats left more liquid than I expected. Added the berries, honey, and walnuts this AM with it. May switch to milk as part of the liquid, or yogurt. I'll keep in mind chia seeds. Where the heck did I put the old Werth Chia pet?
Churchill Downs?

Offline 1995hoo

I got some snakehead fillets at Wegmans (they call it "Chesapeake channa," "channa" being the scientific name for snakehead). Anyone ever cooked it before? I’m looking online at various possibilities depending on what the weather does.

Offline 1995hoo

I got some snakehead fillets at Wegmans (they call it "Chesapeake channa," "channa" being the scientific name for snakehead). Anyone ever cooked it before? I’m looking online at various possibilities depending on what the weather does.

I ultimately did a pan sear and then finished it in the oven. I’ll post pictures on Tuesday. Came out quite nicely. I had not told my wife it was snakehead and she was quite surprised. It was good. Definitely NOT a flaky white fish—it is denser and required a knife to cut. But it tasted good.

Our cat is kind of annoyed I didn’t have any extra fish for her.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Have only had Channa argus once, but it was excellent.  Makes sense they change the marketing name, it worked wonders for the orange roughy, a.k.a. slimehead.

Offline 1995hoo

I ultimately did a pan sear and then finished it in the oven. I’ll post pictures on Tuesday. Came out quite nicely. I had not told my wife it was snakehead and she was quite surprised. It was good. Definitely NOT a flaky white fish—it is denser and required a knife to cut. But it tasted good.

Our cat is kind of annoyed I didn’t have any extra fish for her.

Here’s what it looked like just out of the paper wrapping. Those two fairly small fillets were a total of 0.99 of a pound. I cut each in half for easier manipulation in the pan.

And here it was just out of the oven. Came out very nicely, but I probably should have cooked them differently and not started them on the stove. Ms1995hoo is just getting over Covid and the smoke I generated in the kitchen caused her problems.

Seasoning was simple—just salt and some lemon pepper, then after I put it on the serving platter I hit it with some lemon juice.