Author Topic: Astros stealing signs - But Dusty to the Rescue  (Read 27344 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Throwing at Astros has no impact on the game

It has an impact on the astros though (literally)

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
It has an impact on the astros though (literally)

I didn’t say it had no impact on the game

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
I didn’t say it had no impact on the game

Awesome :lol:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Trevor Bauer signaled his pitches today to opposing batters so they wouldn’t need to steal signs

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Here is an interesting story about young pitchers who got blasted by the Astros when Houston was reading & signaling the pitches.  A very interesting point here is that Houston players would tell the pitchers they were giving away what pitch was coming by the way the pitcher held his glove.  It was an effort to hide the real tricks the Astros were playing.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2878408-the-high-cost-of-bad-intentions?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Offline Copecwby20

So if 2020 is cancelled, The Astros' Manager and GM's suspension won't extend to 2021 which I think is kinda BS.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
So if 2020 is cancelled, The Astros' Manager and GM's suspension won't extend to 2021 which I think is kinda BS.
I mean, all of this is bullcrap

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'm just betting the Astros are the cause of the coronavirus.  They are so underhanded.  They were probably using a secret lab in china to see if they could get a bat to bite an anteater and then inject the stuff into Altuve to see if he will grow.

Online HalfSmokes

Do they fire Dusty and rehire Hinch?

Offline Five Banners

Do they fire Dusty and rehire Hinch?

Crane can always say in a press conference that he never said he hired Baker

Online imref

Cora suspended until 2021, Red Sox lose a 2nd round pick.  Replay operator also suspended until 2022

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/04/red-sox-sign-stealing-investigation-second-round-pick-alex-cora-ban.html

Cora's suspension was due to his role with the Astros.

“I find that J.T. Watkins, the Red Sox video replay system operator, on at least some occasions during the 2018 regular season, utilized the game feeds in the replay room, in violation of MLB regulations, to revise sign sequence information that he had permissibly provided to players prior to the game.
I find that unlike the Houston Astros’ 2017 conduct, in which players communicated to the batter from the dugout area in real time the precise type of pitch about to be thrown, Watkins’s conduct, by its very nature, was far more limited in scope and impact. The information was only relevant when the Red Sox had a runner on second base (which was 19.7% of plate appearances league-wide in 2018), and Watkins communicated sign sequences in a manner that indicated that he had decoded them from the in-game feed in only a small percentage of those occurrences.
I do not find that then-Manager Alex Cora, the Red Sox coaching staff, the Red Sox front office, or most of the players on the 2018 Red Sox knew or should have known that Watkins was utilizing in-game video to update the information that he had learned from his pregame analysis. Communication of these violations was episodic and isolated to Watkins and a limited number of Red Sox players only.
I find that the Red Sox front office consistently communicated MLB’s sign-stealing rules to non-player staff and made commendable efforts toward instilling a culture of compliance in their organization.”

Online HalfSmokes

So if you’re the replay operator, can you go after the Red Sox for wrongful termination since you were following your superior’s directives- I’m guessing he’d get a nice payout just so the club can avoid discovery

Offline UMDNats

Incredible work all-around to throw a meager replay coordinator under the bus and remove all blame from literally everyone else.

Online Natsinpwc

Incredible work all-around to throw a meager replay coordinator under the bus and remove all blame from literally everyone else.
It's funny how the Boston teams always avoid the big hammer. 

Online imref

So if you’re the replay operator, can you go after the Red Sox for wrongful termination since you were following your superior’s directives- I’m guessing he’d get a nice payout just so the club can avoid discovery

based on the MLB findings, Watkins was operating on his own.

Online HalfSmokes

Sure, he was stealing signs and transmitting that information to no one at the direction of no one. Again, discovery would be interesting

Online Natsinpwc

Sure, he was stealing signs and transmitting that information to no one at the direction of no one. Again, discovery would be interesting
It was like when the Patriots illegally filmed practices. They never used that film.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Yeah, he came up with that idea on his own right when the team came under the management of a man who had just used stealing signs using the replay room to win the World Series, and then he somehow communicated those signs to runners on second base while sitting in the replay room, involving nobody else.   Yeah. 

This is just like the NCAA: someone finds out that places like Kentucky and Kansas are paying players, so they slam the hell out of Buttfreak State first, make a big deal out of it, and then pat the big boys on the head in the middle of some major news cycle and hope nobody notices.  Manfred should be fired.

Offline UMDNats

Everyone knows replay coordinators are the mavericks of a coaching staff.

Offline Five Banners

Which makes one wonder how streamlined the process became from late 2017 onward, especially with having a chief architect fresh in from sign stealing central.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
It's like when Gunny goes up to the squad leader and is like, "Give me three names"

That's what the Red Sox did.

Offline ajcartwright

of course the misery Covid 19 has caused so many people in so many ways is far worse than anything sports related, BUT
by the time mlb resumes, I am afraid that the houston asterisks will suffer far less from opposing fans than they deserve (if there ever are any fans)
and that is just another misery caused by this virus. people forget and other matters take precedence but for me, the asterisks cheating scandal goes into
my 9/11 files - I WILL NEVER FORGET