Author Topic: Here Come the Astros  (Read 26417 times)

Offline natsarl

Re: Here Come the Astros
« Reply #625: October 30, 2019, 08:59:50 AM »
We hit the ball well against Greinke in Game 3...just couldn't get a clutch hit or two when we had runners on. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #626: October 30, 2019, 09:03:15 AM »
Mindfact:   I always thought if a batter carried the bat to/beyond first base, he was out.    My whole life of baseball (parts of seven decades?) from sandlot/park to last night, has been under that assumption.    Must be some kind of urban legend.
Me too.  It's amazing that when they have rules on almost everything nothing on carrying the bat 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #627: October 30, 2019, 09:07:12 AM »
Mindfact:   I always thought if a batter carried the bat to/beyond first base, he was out.    My whole life of baseball (parts of seven decades?) from sandlot/park to last night, has been under that assumption.    Must be some kind of urban legend.

With a ball in play you would leave yourself open to a batter’s interference call but I don’t think there’s anything illegal about it....

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #628: October 30, 2019, 09:19:56 AM »

sounds like softball rules :lol:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #629: October 30, 2019, 09:21:31 AM »
Nationals have to put runs on Greinke tonight. Gerrit Cole is definitely coming out of the pen tonight and that scares me.

Who knows what the Nationals get out of Scherzer tonight. I think Anibal is your go to long relief, but I don't think he makes sense as a middle inning stopgap. If Strasburg can lift his arm today, he's the closer with Hudson and Doolittle bridging gap. If Strasburg wakes up and says, "I threw 100 pitches last night, of course I can't go" then maybe Anibal Sanchez makes sense for a middle inning and then you go to Doolittle or Hudson depending on matchups.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #630: October 30, 2019, 09:26:54 AM »
Nationals have to put runs on Greinke tonight. Gerrit Cole is definitely coming out of the pen tonight and that scares me.

Who knows what the Nationals get out of Scherzer tonight. I think Anibal is your go to long relief, but I don't think he makes sense as a middle inning stopgap. If Strasburg can lift his arm today, he's the closer with Hudson and Doolittle bridging gap. If Strasburg wakes up and says, "I threw 100 pitches last night, of course I can't go" then maybe Anibal Sanchez makes sense for a middle inning and then you go to Doolittle or Hudson depending on matchups.

I think if we get to five runs we’re winning.

I expect Max will be in bulldog mode tonight.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #631: October 30, 2019, 09:44:34 AM »
I think if we get to five runs we’re winning.

I expect Max will be in bulldog mode tonight.
I look at anything Scherzer gives us as a plus. We don't know how he'll feel tonight. I'm confident Sanchez can do a competent job in a crunch, but really don't want to find out.

Not sure what to think about the bats. They hit Greinke okay in Game 3, just couldn't string anything together. I will panic if the Astros call Cole out of the bullpen and the score is tied or Nats trail.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #632: October 30, 2019, 09:45:21 AM »
Bringing in Cole on 2 days rest, when he has not pitched at all this year on shortened rest, is as much of a wild card as Max pitching on 7 days rest with a cortisone shot holding him together. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #633: October 30, 2019, 10:02:35 AM »
Bringing in Cole on 2 days rest, when he has not pitched at all this year on shortened rest, is as much of a wild card as Max pitching on 7 days rest with a cortisone shot holding him together
Washington expects that every National will do his duty

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #634: October 30, 2019, 10:06:21 AM »
Could the injury actually help Max? We often feel like he comes out of the gate way to amped up. If he had to tone it back a tad, is he better?

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #635: October 30, 2019, 10:07:54 AM »
Could the injury actually help Max? We often feel like he comes out of the gate way to amped up. If he had to tone it back a tad, is he better?
I'm 50/50 on whether he's going to throw a 9 inning shut out, or can't get his arm above the shoulder and walk 3 guys and get pulled.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #636: October 30, 2019, 10:08:06 AM »

he is definitely better if he's toned down.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #637: October 30, 2019, 10:34:28 AM »
Discussion of Turner call split off:

https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=38266.0

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #638: October 30, 2019, 10:36:41 AM »
I posted several days ago (#589) that if Scherzer is good to go let him pitch 4 innings and then have Sanchez throw four. I will modify this slightly if Max is dealing then let him go five so he can get the win. Let Sanchez go as long as he is effective because this could go extra innings.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #639: October 30, 2019, 10:37:04 AM »
absolutely poetic that we're going to end the season in a game 7 after being down 3-2.  Now we see if it ends Disney-style (with a win) or Shakespeare-style (in tragedy).

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #640: October 30, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »
Shoulda given Zim some of the Cortisone

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #641: October 30, 2019, 12:13:19 PM »
Shoulda given Zim some of the Cortisone

Where do you think he got it?

Offline slhubic

« Reply #642: October 30, 2019, 01:01:01 PM »

I thought so, as well...

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #643: October 30, 2019, 01:05:44 PM »
I'll bet you'd be out if you dropped a bat in fair territory after rounding first, you'd be out. When it's not a dinger, I mean. But when the ball is in the seats, I'm not even sure you have to run past first base...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #644: October 30, 2019, 01:06:40 PM »
I'll bet you'd be out if you dropped a bat in fair territory after rounding first, you'd be out. When it's not a dinger, I mean. But when the ball is in the seats, I'm not even sure you have to run past first base...

Don't you have to touch every base for the run to count?    Why have walk-offs?

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #645: October 30, 2019, 01:09:44 PM »
They will definitely call you out if you pass another runner on your home run trot (this happened to Jose Abreu this year). If you miss a base, I don't know if they call you out or give you the opportunity to go back and touch that base.

Before the current instant replay rules (circa the mid 2000's) I saw a game in Toronto where a Blue Jays batter hit a long ball that was initially ruled foul, but upon the umpires having a conference about it the call was reversed and it was called a home run. They brought him back out of the dugout and made him circle the bases.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #646: October 30, 2019, 01:16:16 PM »
If you miss a base, I don't know if they call you out or give you the opportunity to go back and touch that base.

you're out

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #647: October 30, 2019, 01:17:36 PM »

you're out

Unless you get back before the appeal.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #648: October 30, 2019, 01:18:02 PM »
Roles:

Max - Go as long as he's effective...be it 4 innings or 8. 
Corbin - I think he can go 2-3 innings to bridge Max to Huddy/Doo
Huddy/Doo - Huddy shouldn't be asked to get more than 3 outs
Sanchez - Full rest ready for extra innings...not a middle relief option
Stras - He's not pitching
Everyone else - Watch

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #649: October 30, 2019, 01:20:05 PM »
Unless you get back before the appeal.

Dumb question   ....   How long do you have to circle the bases?