22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 126421 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Re: POLL: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....
« Reply #825: December 26, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
Maybe he wants to be a Dodger.  LA is obviously attractive to many, so him and his wife may want that lifestyle.  Plus it is reasonably close to Vegas.  Or, maybe that stuff was leaked out just to make othr teams think he really wants to be a Dodger, just to drive up the price.  Who knows.  You almost want to think anything you hear is misdirection from Boras.  What you hear is what he wants out there for his own purposes. 

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #826: December 26, 2018, 06:19:32 PM »
Didn't know she was on the market.  I don't really understand their culture though.  Who bought her?  How much?

She's Mormon, like Bryce.  Pretty sure that Bryce negotiated a decent price with daddy...  8)

Offline awbb

« Reply #827: December 26, 2018, 06:57:40 PM »
I think it makes no difference to us, whatever leakage Boras exhibits.

We made an offer that was fair, they turned it down, which reflects what I suspected about Harper and knew (obviously) about his agent. 

Honestly, I would like him to sign somewhere just so I don’t have to read the continual pontificating by media outlets who know even less than me. If Boras comes back to Ted (who else?) asking for 320/10 I hope the old boy tells him to do one. I’m happy for people to cry LAC over most things, but not this.

That being said, our lineup could probably do with a trip to Florida (Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink) to address what appears to be a lack of power, but that could be dealt with for a shed load less than what Royce has been told he’s worth.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #828: December 26, 2018, 07:01:08 PM »
I think it makes no difference to us, whatever leakage Boras exhibits.

We made an offer that was fair, they turned it down, which reflects what I suspected about Harper and knew (obviously) about his agent. 

Honestly, I would like him to sign somewhere just so I don’t have to read the continual pontificating by media outlets who know even less than me. If Boras comes back to Ted (who else?) asking for 320/10 I hope the old boy tells him to do one. I’m happy for people to cry LAC over most things, but not this.

That being said, our lineup could probably do with a trip to Florida (Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink) to address what appears to be a lack of power, but that could be dealt with for a shed load less than what Royce has been told he’s worth.

Well said...though I would go a bit further and say that if Boras came crawling back for $300MM/10, I'd still tell him to shove off...though I suspect he already knows:

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #829: December 27, 2018, 02:16:17 AM »
Losing Harper will be hard for me, as a fan who came to be a Nats fan because of him.

but seeing him sign anywhere else for less than 300/10 will make me feel a little better.

« Reply #830: December 27, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »
It's funny how some of you act so butt hurt over an agent and player doing exactly what free agency is set up to do...explore your market and maximize your value.  He doesn't "owe" the Nats any favors nor do the Nats owe him any favors. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #831: December 27, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »
STL update from MLBTR:

The Cardinals have been an oft-speculated landing spot for Bryce Harper but have not been rumored to have any meaningful interest in the market’s top free agent. Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch explored the situation in his latest Q&A with readers, explaining the numerous reasons that the Cardinals feel a pursuit of Harper would differ from their prior pursuits of huge contracts for David Price, Jason Heyward and Giancarlo Stanton. Above all else, it seems that the sizable discrepancy between Harper’s asking price and even those other substantial contracts is a roadblock for the St. Louis front office. The Cards also don’t have the personal connection with Harper that they had after a year of having Heyward in the clubhouse, and they’re generally averse to the leverage that opt-out clauses provide players on lengthy free-agent deals.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #832: December 27, 2018, 04:23:07 PM »
It's funny how some of you act so butt hurt over an agent and player doing exactly what free agency is set up to do...explore your market and maximize your value.  He doesn't "owe" the Nats any favors nor do the Nats owe him any favors.

Anyone in particular that you are directing that at?  I must have missed those sentiments...

Offline imref

« Reply #833: December 27, 2018, 04:25:29 PM »
Well said...though I would go a bit further and say that if Boras came crawling back for $300MM/10, I'd still tell him to shove off...though I suspect he already knows:

I'm not sure the 10/$30 million is even an option anymore.   Todd Boss argues we've already spent the $30 million, and the Nats aren't going to go over the luxury tax again.

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=15603

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #834: December 27, 2018, 04:30:38 PM »
I'm not sure the 10/$30 million is even an option anymore.   Todd Boss argues we've already spent the $30 million, and the Nats aren't going to go over the luxury tax again.

Oh, I know...it'd still be nice to see Boras come crawling back...

« Reply #835: December 27, 2018, 04:41:43 PM »
Bryce is a very exciting player and can be anywhere from good to amazing with likely his best years ahead of him.  We've watched him since he was a teenager.  It is going to sting a little watching him play for somebody else.  Rizzo has moved on and constructed the roster so that we will be fine without Harper, but I would absolutely love to see it work out for him to come back.  I don't understand the hostility towards Bryce.  Yea, he's confident and has great hair.  It's not all his fault that he has been hyped to the max.  He's given his best efforts for the Nats and, despite being in a total bubble, hasn't really seriously messed up, even as a young man.  Do some people pick apart his quotes at times?  Sure, but he's been a solid role model and citizen. 

Free agency is designed to maximize your value and explore the market, no matter the scale.  Harper is doing nothing different than a guy like Matt Adams, just on a much larger scale.  Nobody is trying to rob anybody.  Everybody is informed and educated and knows what they are doing.  In the end, that will result in certain numbers being out there.  Then it's a matter of weighing those numbers versus where he wants to be. 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #836: December 27, 2018, 04:50:56 PM »
Bryce is a very exciting player and can be anywhere from good to amazing with likely his best years ahead of him.  We've watched him since he was a teenager.  It is going to sting a little watching him play for somebody else.  Rizzo has moved on and constructed the roster so that we will be fine without Harper, but I would absolutely love to see it work out for him to come back.  I don't understand the hostility towards Bryce.  Yea, he's confident and has great hair.  It's not all his fault that he has been hyped to the max.  He's given his best efforts for the Nats and, despite being in a total bubble, hasn't really seriously messed up, even as a young man.  Do some people pick apart his quotes at times?  Sure, but he's been a solid role model and citizen. 

Free agency is designed to maximize your value and explore the market, no matter the scale.  Harper is doing nothing different than a guy like Matt Adams, just on a much larger scale.  Nobody is trying to rob anybody.  Everybody is informed and educated and knows what they are doing.  In the end, that will result in certain numbers being out there.  Then it's a matter of weighing those numbers versus where he wants to be. 

I've always said there is a built in bias against just about any much hyped player. Fans like to see players like that fail. Humans are weird.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #837: December 27, 2018, 05:20:18 PM »

It would be interesting if Boras publicly stated that Harper would accept the 10/300 from the Nats, the team has definitely moved on, but if Harper was looking to return there would be a highly vocal segment of the fan base demanding the team find a way to make it happen.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #838: December 27, 2018, 05:21:09 PM »

You’re kidding right? I’ve got no real resentment of Bryce, but he has stoked the hype train from day one. I’ve got no problem establishing a brand, but if he didn’t want hype, he could just act like Mike Trout.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #839: December 27, 2018, 05:30:25 PM »
You’re kidding right? I’ve got no real resentment of Bryce, but he has stoked the hype train from day one. I’ve got no problem establishing a brand, but if he didn’t want hype, he could just act like Mike Trout.
Or perhaps he was just acting like himself, same as Mike Trout does? Does he have to act bland when that's not his personality? :shrug:

Offline imref

« Reply #840: December 27, 2018, 05:39:58 PM »
Or perhaps he was just acting like himself, same as Mike Trout does? Does he have to act bland when that's not his personality? :shrug:

There's a bit of a difference with Trout.  The Angels decided they wanted to lock him up long before he reached free agency.  I haven't seen anything similar out of the Nationals these last few years.  Assuming the Nats never seriously tried to extend him until the 10/$30 million offer at the end of last year, I don't see anything wrong with Harper going out on the open market and seeing what he could get. 

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #841: December 27, 2018, 05:42:34 PM »

And there's nothing wrong with hyping your brand. MLB is a business. Each player should be trying to maximise their income. Some fans just don't like today's players who might be more marketing savvy and not cut in the old school mold like that boring ass Trout.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #842: December 27, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with Harper going out on the open market and seeing what he could get.

Nor do I...it's what he should do and glad to see him doing just that.  More power to him...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #843: December 27, 2018, 05:48:23 PM »
Nor do I...it's what he should do and glad to see him doing just that.  More power to him...

Does that mean we have to like him and want him back?     I can hope he does well somewhere else and still not like his style or want him in a Nats' uniform.

Offline imref

« Reply #844: December 27, 2018, 05:49:12 PM »
Does that mean we have to like him and want him back?

only if we're a better team with him. :)

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #845: December 27, 2018, 05:52:40 PM »
only if we're a better team with him. :)

This is really the bottom line. If some people don't like Harper and his hair flips and don't want him back because of that then they're dimwits. And there are also people who resent players who make tons of money no matter what. You know, "Nobody is worth that kind of money."

Offline mitlen

« Reply #846: December 27, 2018, 05:54:13 PM »
This is really the bottom line. If some people don't like Harper and his hair flips and don't want him back because of that then they're dimwits. And there are also people who resent players who make tons of money no matter what. You know, "Nobody is worth that kind of money."

"Dimwits" per the fan police?    It's not about the flip and any personal mannerisms, etc.     I don't think he brings that much to this franchise.    We can not win playoff series without him.     I can still not like him though.     :)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #847: December 27, 2018, 06:00:14 PM »

I didn’t say that. I just said that he’s stoked the hype, whether it’s by design of just a byproduct of his personality. I also specifically said that he should develop his brand however he wants. I’ve got zero problem with that. I just took issue with the statement that it’s all a media concoction, when we have examples of better players than Harper who don’t have as much hype (such as Trout).
Bryce loves the hype and encourages it. He’s not an innocent bystander. This doesn’t seem like a controversial statement.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #848: December 27, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »
"Dimwits" per the fan police?

Just my opinion. I find it incredibly close minded when fans root for "scrappers" and always attack the big names. Hey, fans can root for any player they want. I just find predictability very boring.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #849: December 27, 2018, 06:02:29 PM »
Just my opinion. I find it incredibly close minded when fans root for "scrappers" and always attack the big names. Hey, fans can root for any player they want. I just find predictability very boring.

I edited my previous comment.    I simply don't think he's a necessary cog in this team.    It's a value thing for me.