Author Topic: Audi Field  (Read 3926 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Audi Field
« Topic Start: July 15, 2018, 06:20:49 AM »
Looks great from the outside then you walk in and the lower concourse was asphalt, not a good look. The Heineken bar was really nice, spectacular views. Wish we could get to 101 from the Heineken bar without going downstairs and then back up. The view from the bar behind 106 was a bunch of AC units, not as great.

Nice area where they had the band playing. Needs more shade though. We hung out on the sidewalk next to the stage and took advantage of DC's lack of enforcement of open container laws.

Loved the view from the seats in the upper level. I want to check out the view from down below, I can't imagine that it's nearly as good. The sun was brutal for the first 20 minutes.

The phone order food line was the way to go. Lines were way long, we just walked up and got our food. The crab fries were fantastic.

Beer selection was pretty good, much better than Nats Park. Fewer micros, but better brands from the vendors.

The supporters section was loud at times but never dominated the vibe of the stadium like at RFK.

Unless attendance drops parking is going to be not fun. I got in and out real quick, but I know where to go, once more of the United fans figure out the tricks it's going to be miserable.

Only having one score board was strange, wish it was bigger. Also, signing a big shot player and only using him for 30 minutes was weird. The electronic signs showing ads around the field was distracting when they had graphics that were moving or flashing.

Need to improve data from Verizon, I couldnt even get the Nats box score to load.

Finally, WTF is up with five pissers in the men's room behind 101? In what world is five sufficient? Tear out the sinks and the three on that side and put in a trough.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Audi Field
« Reply #1: July 15, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »
Looks great from the outside then you walk in and the lower concourse was asphalt, not a good look. The Heineken bar was really nice, spectacular views. Wish we could get to 101 from the Heineken bar without going downstairs and then back up. The view from the bar behind 106 was a bunch of AC units, not as great.

Nice area where they had the band playing. Needs more shade though. We hung out on the sidewalk next to the stage and took advantage of DC's lack of enforcement of open container laws.

Loved the view from the seats in the upper level. I want to check out the view from down below, I can't imagine that it's nearly as good. The sun was brutal for the first 20 minutes.

The phone order food line was the way to go. Lines were way long, we just walked up and got our food. The crab fries were fantastic.

Beer selection was pretty good, much better than Nats Park. Fewer micros, but better brands from the vendors.

The supporters section was loud at times but never dominated the vibe of the stadium like at RFK.

Unless attendance drops parking is going to be not fun. I got in and out real quick, but I know where to go, once more of the United fans figure out the tricks it's going to be miserable.

Only having one score board was strange, wish it was bigger. Also, signing a big shot player and only using him for 30 minutes was weird. The electronic signs showing ads around the field was distracting when they had graphics that were moving or flashing.

Need to improve data from Verizon, I couldnt even get the Nats box score to load.

Finally, WTF is up with five pissers in the men's room behind 101? In what world is five sufficient? Tear out the sinks and the three on that side and put in a trough.

Thanks for the update.   I'd like to try the pitch-side suites.    I don't know but troughs may be a no-no in DC (building codes and such).

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2: July 15, 2018, 12:39:01 PM »
Thanks for the update.   I'd like to try the pitch-side suites.    I don't know but troughs may be a no-no in DC (building codes and such).

My recommendation would be to get seats higher up than the suites and on the west side of the stadium. I read on another site that one bathroom near the bar had only one urinal, that is ridiculous.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #3: July 15, 2018, 12:39:48 PM »
My recommendation would be to get seats higher up than the suites and on the west side of the stadium.

Where to park?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4: July 15, 2018, 12:41:58 PM »
Where to park?

There is free street parking in the area, I'm not an expert on the best free spots, since I got towed years ago I've been paying. I found that Spot Hero prices can be higher than the cash prices so I've been looking for the lower priced cash lots.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #5: July 15, 2018, 12:57:44 PM »
My recommendation would be to get seats higher up than the suites and on the west side of the stadium. I read on another site that one bathroom near the bar had only one urinal, that is ridiculous.

Love the added photos.    Thanks PB69.    Wonder how the fan club folks did in the end zone.    Steep  ....

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #6: July 15, 2018, 01:00:45 PM »
There is free street parking in the area, I'm not an expert on the best free spots, since I got towed years ago I've been paying. I found that Spot Hero prices can be higher than the cash prices so I've been looking for the lower priced cash lots.

Where did you end up parking?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #7: July 15, 2018, 01:04:34 PM »

The suites they showed on TV were at pitch level on the west side.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #8: July 15, 2018, 01:07:17 PM »
Love the added photos.    Thanks PB69.    Wonder how the fan club folks did in the end zone.    Steep  ....

That giant Our House banner was one big FU to the other fan clubs. They weren't much louder than the rest of the stadium, I might not have figured out that they were the supporter's section if I hadn't know it already. I haven't seen any mentions about how people dealt with how steep the seats were in that area. I did see that there were no arm rests, I'm not sure why that would be a good thing.

The sideline reporter had to leave the game because a railing from above fell loose and bonked her. Hopefully she is OK this morning. They had to duct tape up all the railings.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #9: July 15, 2018, 01:08:12 PM »
Where did you end up parking?

Behind a townhouse in an alley a couple blocks away. Much easier to get out when your not in a lot full of cars.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #10: July 15, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »
That giant Our House banner was one big FU to the other fan clubs. They weren't much louder than the rest of the stadium, I might not have figured out that they were the supporter's section if I hadn't know it already. I haven't seen any mentions about how people dealt with how steep the seats were in that area. I did see that there were no arm rests, I'm not sure why that would be a good thing.

The sideline reporter had to leave the game because a railing from above fell loose and bonked her. Hopefully she is OK this morning. They had to duct tape up all the railings.

Good article in the Post about the end seating (35 degrees ?) angle and the railing episode(s).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #11: July 15, 2018, 02:33:21 PM »
Looks awesome, I’ll probably wait for attendance to drop off before going

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #12: July 16, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »

Offline mitlen

« Reply #13: July 16, 2018, 02:30:32 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/audi-field-opens-with-a-low-key-debut-but-dc-uniteds-new-venue-has-plenty-of-promise/2018/07/14/1da5561c-879a-11e8-8553-a3ce89036c78_story.html?utm_term=.2d85b8d52410

Read the review from attendees. Not good. I will check it out myself later this season after they work out the kinks.

Kind of like movie reviews   ....   Reminds me of dcpatti's "nag Eating Crackers" comment in the Harper thread.     Some folks ain't ever happy.      Like you, I'll check it out and make up my own mind.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #14: July 16, 2018, 02:33:39 PM »
Kind of like movie reviews   ....   Like you, I'll check it out and make up my own mind.

Yeah, I'm not as much a nitpicker but a couple of things do concern me. Small seats and tight concourses. Not a fan of either. Long lines at concession stands work themselves out. I'm not a regular DCU attendee but I will check it out.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #15: July 16, 2018, 06:46:41 PM »
Yeah, I'm not as much a nitpicker but a couple of things do concern me. Small seats and tight concourses. Not a fan of either. Long lines at concession stands work themselves out. I'm not a regular DCU attendees but I will check it out.

I didn't notice either being small. Those fans are used to RFK where everything was bigger. The concessions lines will be long, but just use the pre order app, very quick.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #16: July 16, 2018, 06:52:45 PM »
Kind of like movie reviews   ....   Reminds me of dcpatti's "nag Eating Crackers" comment in the Harper thread.     Some folks ain't ever happy.      Like you, I'll check it out and make up my own mind.

I don't think the crackers analogy works in either case. For Audi Field the reviews I've read are universally positive with caveats, hardly complaining just to complain. With Harper no one nages when he gets a HR or walks, it's the failure to adjust to the shift, the lazy base running, and the poor defensive choices, all legitimate.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #17: July 16, 2018, 07:29:04 PM »
I don't think the crackers analogy works in either case. For Audi Field the reviews I've read are universally positive with caveats, hardly complaining just to complain. With Harper no one nages when he gets a HR or walks, it's the failure to adjust to the shift, the lazy base running, and the poor defensive choices, all legitimate.

I don't either to be honest.    It's a simple case of fandom.   My comment was meant more as a  :poke:.    I'm lookin' forward to my first trip to Audi.   I want to experience it for myself.   I don't put too much into other people's opinions.   I'm not concerned with "game day experiences" and such.    I suppose it beats standing at Anfield way back when.     However, I do believe there are people who are never happy and they freely share their opinions   ....   about any subject.    They're experts, geniuses, damn Mensa members I tell ya.     :)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #18: July 16, 2018, 07:30:44 PM »
Most of the kvetching I've heard has to do with the SG imbroglio and not the stadium itself.  That whole situation has gotten a bit...tiresome.

Offline machpost

« Reply #19: July 18, 2018, 08:19:51 AM »
That giant Our House banner was one big FU to the other fan clubs. They weren't much louder than the rest of the stadium, I might not have figured out that they were the supporter's section if I hadn't know it already.

I don't know the whole story, but the way that the team has handled those other supporter groups, who along with the Screaming Eagles basically carried the franchise through the lean years, seems pretty uncool to say the least. It leaves me with the impression that they're far more interested in attracting the area's bougie newcomers at the expense of blowing off hardcore supporters.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #20: July 22, 2018, 09:04:34 AM »

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #21: July 22, 2018, 09:28:59 AM »
Ironic that they’d use dc as an example of bad sports subsidies considering the impact of the Verizon center and nats Park on their neighborhoods

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #22: July 22, 2018, 02:19:45 PM »
So, what's with the sprinklers? They did that at the Sporting KC game, too.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #23: July 22, 2018, 03:42:07 PM »
So, what's with the sprinklers? They did that at the Sporting KC game, too.

Looked cool at halftime, but whatever was in the water turned the grass white in the areas around the sprinklers.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #24: July 22, 2018, 04:06:44 PM »
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/sports-stadium-subsidies-continue-unabated-despite-no-good-justification

Interesting comment about the error in placing the TV cameras.

That came from a City Paper article, the original article was updated to note that the team responded that cameras could be placed on either side of the stadium, but the Examiner seems to have omitted that.

$150 million is a lot to spend for a stadium for a team that has fewer than 20 home games each year and couldn't fill half of the lower RFK bowl for playoff games. Of course that area was a logical spot to upgrade the roads, whether it was for soccer or any other businesses.