Author Topic: 2017 Trade Deadline Rumors/Trades/Discussion  (Read 66997 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
There is no world where a 308/.389/.636 slash line is a downgrade.

I’m saying that the Nats don’t need a bat. And a bat is all he gives you because he’s a defensive liability. Put Lind out there who has a similar slash line and keep the prospects.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I'd make the deal due to the control for Wilson and Fulmer.

You're trading Robles for Fulmer and Fedde for Wilson. So is two months of Martinez worth Soto and Keiboom.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
There is no world where a 308/.389/.636 slash line is a downgrade.

except for our 3-6 hitters!

Offline aBaltoNat

Good point. Make the deal for Fulmer and Wilson. See if you can get Fulmer for Soto and Kieboom without giving up Robles.

Offline Slateman

except for our 3-6 hitters!
Fair point. Maybe this is what it will take to get Rendon into the 2 hole?

Offline dshawg77

Any chance we are going after Verlander? (I am not a big fan of this unless it is cheap, which it won't be).

Offline Slateman

Any chance we are going after Verlander? (I am not a big fan of this unless it is cheap, which it won't be).
I hope not

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Can the Lerners resist the offer to receive cash? :stir:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
While i would love Max and Verlander to be on the same staff again, this would be dumb. I’m going to go out in limb and say there is no way he gets traded. They would basically have to give him away and it’s hard to do if you don’t want to alienate your fan base. Plus he has full no Trade. No way Kate Upton moves anywhere but LA or NYC

Offline Dave301

Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman · 17m17 minutes ago 
madson &/or doolittle could close for nats. but word is they're still weighing trading for closer. options: britton, d-rob, wilson, etc.

Offline raleighnat

madson &/or doolittle could close for nats. but word is they're still weighing trading for closer. options: britton, d-rob, wilson, etc.

They need one more high end reliever and then they are set to make their run.  Keep Robles but otherwise go for it.  This team is stacked and would be as good as anyone if:

1) one more reliever, preferably a lock down closer
2) take it easy on max and stas the rest of the way, it all collapses if they aren't healthy
3) keep everyone rested, healthy and get turner and werth back healthy

(Now if you really wanted to go all in trade Robles and try to get fulmer or gray too)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Verlander > Edwin Jackson/Jacob Turner/inanimate carbon rod 5th starter.

For $28MM/year...for 2 + years?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
For $28MM/year...for 2 + years?

Plus I assume significant prospects.

Offline Mattionals

Plus I assume significant prospects.

Yea, hard pass.

Offline dshawg77

Yea, hard pass.

Yep.
The $ alone won't fly with the Lerners.

The Tigers may want top prospects, but with that contract and declining velocity, good luck.

Offline Mattionals

Yep.

The Tigers may want top prospects, but with that contract and declining velocity, good luck.

I mean, Ross is on the shelf until late 2018 at the earliest. Scherzer, Strasburg, Gio, and Roark are all here next season. Fedde will be called up in September and could likely be in the rotation next year but probably needs another year in AAA. A guy that can be had as a decent 3 is what is needed to basically fill the gap left by Ross and then when Ross returns, can still slot in after Gio leaves.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Yep.

Actually, though he's declined steeply velocity doesn't seem to be an issue.

For all the name value that Verlander brings to the table, his 2017 performance has been underwhelming. His 4.4 BB/9 rate is the worst of his career, and his 8.4 K/9 rate is a notable departure from the 10.0 mark he posted in last year’s brilliant rebound campaign. Verlander’s chase rate, swinging-strike rate and contact rate are all among the worst of his career, and his 38.1 percent hard-contact rate represents a nearly 10 percent increase over his 2016 level. Beyond that, he’s averaging fewer than six innings per start for the first time as a Major Leaguer.

That’s a host of red flags, but to be fair to Verlander, his velocity is as strong as ever (95.1 mph average fastball), and his strikeout and home-run rates are still better than those of a league-average starter.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/justin-verlander-trade-rumors-tigers-include-cash.html

Offline dshawg77

Actually, though he's declined steeply velocity doesn't seem to be an issue.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/justin-verlander-trade-rumors-tigers-include-cash.html

Interesting, thanks for posting. I had heard it was his velocity, thanks for clarifying.

By the way, Britton is so dominant that the Orioles aren't even using him as a closer. Listen, if we trade for Britton, he is 5 appearances away from Tommy John-just wait. I will laugh my butt off if the Dodgers trade for him.

Offline hotshot

No way Angelos deals with Nats with MASN feelings so strong. Plus, O's won tonight and still not confirmed sellers.

Online Natsinpwc

No way Angelos deals with Nats with MASN feelings so strong. Plus, O's won tonight and still not confirmed sellers.
If the BLOS think they are in the race that is funny.  They are five back in the wild card but with five teams between them and the Yankees. I agree they don't want to trade with the Nats. I would be wary of Britton and his arm.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Verlander has had MONSTER 2nd halves the past 2 years after similarly bad starts.  The velo is fine.  He likely finishes very strong.  Tigers either eat salary and get legit prospects or don't and get little back.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Doolittle is too valuable against lefties to close regularly.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Rosenthal reports Robles was pulled during tonight's P-Nats game....but for a base running mistake.