Author Topic: 2017 Trade Deadline Rumors/Trades/Discussion  (Read 67003 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I agree that any of those closers would make this bullpens great, but knowing Rizzo, he won't pay for any of them. I wonder if they are willing to roll with EJax the rest of the year.
That depends on Jackson's performance. If he can keep a sub 5 ERA, sure.

I think Rizzo is willing to pay. He tried to buy these guys in the off-season but couldn't. The Robertson deal was shot down. He knows Dusty's weaknesses and he can't be happy with just staying pat.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I think best hope is for Rockies is for Rockies to continue their swoon and hope they become sellers. Holland would not be ridiculously expensive since I assume he would be a rental. Maybe wishful thinking on my part.

Offline dshawg77

I think best hope is for Rockies is for Rockies to continue their swoon and hope they become sellers. Holland would not be ridiculously expensive since I assume he would be a rental. Maybe wishful thinking on my part.

Frustrating all we had to do is sign him though.

Our farm system is ranked 14th post draft as an FYI:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2715921-ranking-all-30-mlb-farm-systems-post-2017-mlb-draft

Offline whytev

It's standard procedure for broadcasters to have some sort of scouting report ready on opposing players, especially pitchers, and especially pitchers who throw 100.  Also, I would take anything Ray Knight says with a giant grain of salt.

He said all the Reds people were talking him up and asking if the Nats wanted him.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Frustrating all we had to do is sign him though.

How true. With him as the closer, this pen would really be top notch. Alas, it wasn’t to be.

Offline whytev

Any chance Colorado's recent drop off makes them sellers?

No way. Maybe if they suddenly lose 10 straight.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
I agree that any of those closers would make this bullpens great, but knowing Rizzo, he won't pay for any of them. I wonder if they are willing to roll with EJax the rest of the year.

I'd say that's not an accurate statement based on Rizzos track record. He's been willing to deal top prospects in the past to fill roster holes. I doubt he is done trying to fix the bullpen.

Offline Mattionals

I'd say that's not an accurate statement based on Rizzos track record. He's been willing to deal top prospects in the past to fill roster holes. I doubt he is done trying to fix the bullpen.

He soured on Giolito and Lopez to the point where he considered Robles and Fedde better prospects. He traded Alex Meyer for Span but got back Cole from the Morse deal who he considered to be an adequate replacement. When has he ever traded a top prospect for someone then?

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
He soured on Giolito and Lopez to the point where he considered Robles and Fedde better prospects. He traded Alex Meyer for Span but got back Cole from the Morse deal who he considered to be an adequate replacement. When has he ever traded a top prospect for someone then?

He sent Peacock and Cole to Oakland for Gio, both of whom were top 100 prospects and Norris who was a top 100 a year before that.

Also whether he soured on the or not I dont think it's fair to just hand wave away him trading Giolito and Lopez and say he's never sent assets out.

Offline Mattionals

He sent Peacock and Cole to Oakland for Gio, both of whom were top 100 prospects and Norris who was a top 100 a year before that.

Also whether he soured on the or not I dont think it's fair to just hand wave away him trade Giolito and Lopez and say he's never sent assets out.

By top prospects, I mean organizational top prospects. Sure, he traded top 100 guys, but he has never traded say a Gleybar Torres or Eloy Jimenez or Yoan Moncada to get a piece. The closest we've seen is Giolito and Robles and Fedde were valued more highly in the system by the point of that trade. This is why I'd be surprised if those guys are moved right now. Maybe Soto because he is so raw, but even still.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
By top prospects, I mean organizational top prospects. Sure, he traded top 100 guys, but he has never traded say a Gleybar Torres or Eloy Jimenez or Yoan Moncada to get a piece. The closest we've seen is Giolito and Robles and Fedde were valued more highly in the system by the point of that trade. This is why I'd be surprised if those guys are moved right now. Maybe Soto because he is so raw, but even still.

I'd question your definition of "top organizational prospects" seeing as no one on this message board has any idea how Mike Rizzo ranks or values anybody in this farm system.

Also I'm not saying that he'll 100% certain to make another move but Rizzo has a track record paying high level prospects (going by the media's definition not some arbitrary mindrank) for impact players with team control. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Rizzo spend on Osuna, Iglesias, or Hand.

Offline hotshot

No way. Maybe if they suddenly lose 10 straight.
They'd still likely be a WC team. So ... no way Rockies are sellers.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

Also whether he soured on the or not I dont think it's fair to just hand wave away him trading Giolito and Lopez and say he's never sent assets out.
I remember thinking that was a big price tag for Gio. Just because those prospects all flamed out doesn't mean it wasn't a heavy price at the time.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
I think Rizzo should consider going after Iglesias and Feldman from the Reds to finish off this trade deadline. Iglesias would give us a cost controlled closerfor the next few seasons who could be flipped if we belly up in 2019 after Harper leaves as part of our own rebuild. Feldman wouldn't cost much, maybe adding a C level guy to the Iglesias deal, and would give us a decent 4th/5th starter if Roark doesn't rebound. Feldman was also good out of the BP for the Astros last postseason so would be a good option even if Roark starts pitching like he's capable of pitching.

Maybe something like Iglesias, Feldman for Robles, Kieboom, Watson, and Cole. I think that's roughly equivalent to what the Yankees got for Miller last season and would still leave us with Soto, Fedde, and Romero in our farm system.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Maybe something like Iglesias, Feldman for Robles, Kieboom, Watson, and Cole. I think that's roughly equivalent to what the Yankees got for Miller last season and would still leave us with Soto, Fedde, and Romero in our farm system.
I think that would be giving up too much.  Iglesias is a very good closer but he isn't Andrew Miller.  Robles and Kieboom is a very steep price.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
I think that would be giving up too much.  Iglesias is a very good closer but he isn't Andrew Miller.  Robles and Kieboom is a very steep price.

He might not have the track record yet but he costs less and has an extra year of control over Miller when he was traded, plus he has the upside to be an elite closer which I thin drives his price up.

You might be right though maybe flip out Robles for Soto.

Offline phil219

So a few writers speculate the Nats aren't done with the bullpen. Many are giving Blanton some rope to right the ship after Sunday's 3K outing, but still expect another bullpen deal before the deadline. I don't know one way or the other. I think there is some time for Blanton to show he is back on track, and my guess is that September is the next time we all see Kelley and Glover, so up until then the Nats are seriously right hand deficient in the pen. It's Madson, Blanton, Albers from the right side. Doolittle, Enny, Perez, will all stay. That means do you keep Gott or do you keep Grace? Four lefties or four righties. Grace has been way better, so the obvious choice is him, but do the Nats carry four lefties?

They are stocking up on lefties in anticipation of Dodgers in NLCS

Offline dshawg77

They are stocking up on lefties in anticipation of Dodgers in NLCS

I think that is a fair assumption at this point. Never know with Cubs or Rockies but..Dodgers seem to be the team to beat in the NL.

Astros perhaps in all of MLB. (keep an eye on BoSox).

Offline DPMOmaha

I think that is a fair assumption at this point. Never know with Cubs or Rockies but..Dodgers seem to be the team to beat in the NL.

Astros perhaps in all of MLB. (keep an eye on BoSox).
IDK, I don't think there's that much difference between the Nats and Dodgers if the Nats pen is shored up. I think the Dodgers still have the edge there, but that's about it. Nats stack up pretty well with all the contenders and ahead of most of them. Just have to do it in October now.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
IDK, I don't think there's that much difference between the Nats and Dodgers if the Nats pen is shored up. I think the Dodgers still have the edge there, but that's about it. Nats stack up pretty well with all the contenders and ahead of most of them. Just have to do it in October now.

We're better than the Dodgers. By a lot

Offline DPMOmaha

Not convinced of that. At least the "by a lot" part.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
The Dodgers are on an historically great pace right now.  If you transformed our bullpen into an elite one, we're even at best with them.

Online HalfSmokes

We've been better than a lot of teams in previous years, it seems not to matter very much in the post season though

Online HalfSmokes

The Dodgers are on an historically great pace right now.  If you transformed our bullpen into an elite one, we're even at best with them.

assuming Kershaw doesn't throw up all over himself in the playoffs. If there's any fan base that should know how little the regular season means, it's this one

Offline dshawg77

I like all the optimism on here.

Just imagine if we weren't decimated by injuries this year...what could have been...but maybe Michael Taylor wouldn't have broken out either...