Author Topic: Extend Rendon  (Read 66751 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Extend Rendon
« Reply #600: July 10, 2019, 09:22:26 AM »
Didn't we offer Desmond something like $107M the year before, but he turned it down.

yep, reports were that we offered Desmond 7 years, $107 million.  He also turned down a $16 million one year qualifying offer and ended up signing with Texas for one year / $8 million, and got moved to LF which reduced his value.

We reportedly offered JZ 5 years / $105 million before his final season with us (2015).  He ended up leaving and signing a 5 year / $110 million deal with the Tigers.

In both cases I think it's pretty clear that not keeping those guys worked out better for us.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #601: July 10, 2019, 09:41:17 AM »
yep, reports were that we offered Desmond 7 years, $107 million.  He also turned down a $16 million one year qualifying offer and ended up signing with Texas for one year / $8 million, and got moved to LF which reduced his value.

We reportedly offered JZ 5 years / $105 million before his final season with us (2015).  He ended up leaving and signing a 5 year / $110 million deal with the Tigers.

In both cases I think it's pretty clear that not keeping those guys worked out better for us.

Yep. Dodged those bullets. I'll even say we dodged the Harper bullet.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #602: July 10, 2019, 09:48:49 AM »

Maybe we'll end up saying that about Rendon in 3 years.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #603: July 10, 2019, 09:50:50 AM »
And Rendon is better than Arenado

I have always felt this...never saw all the love Arenado got over Ant'ny...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #604: July 10, 2019, 09:51:51 AM »

Ya know...it may not even take that long, depending upon what he gets elsewhere...

Offline Slateman

« Reply #605: July 10, 2019, 09:52:23 AM »
Maybe, but it will be from third place in the NL East so it won't really be relevant. Not signing JZ and Desmond is what enabled this team to sign Scherzer and Murphy.

Also, Rendon projects to age much better than either one of those guys. JZ was regressing in terms of strikeouts and home run rate. Desmond was flat out not making contact and striking out way more. Rendon has only gotten better.

Are you going to get 7 years of this production? Of course not. But you should expect to get 2-3 years of this level of production, and then less production as the contract continues. Again, this is the way free agency works.

Offline imref

« Reply #606: July 10, 2019, 10:00:14 AM »

had we kept Harper, extending Rendon likely wasn't an option.  IIRC, we only have about $40 million in cap space for next year.

« Reply #607: July 10, 2019, 01:19:04 PM »
Ted offered him a 5-year deal worth $120 million but $119 million is deferred and the other $1milliom comes in the form of gift cards to Five Guys (nats park location only)

:hysterical: :rofl:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #608: July 10, 2019, 02:10:34 PM »
Didn't we offer Desmond something like $107M the year before, but he turned it down.
yes, for something like 7 years.  It was maybe $15MM a year.  Depending on your view of Desi, you can question whether that was a discount prior to his last year with the Nats. I wasn't a Desi fan, but I think that was a discount if you valued him as a .280+ hitter with 20+ HR power and some speed who was able to field a middle infield position. It was a sub-Zimmerman money. Too much work to pull the contracts, the $/WAR, etc...

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #609: July 10, 2019, 02:42:08 PM »
The crazy thing is that he’s managed to make over 100 million since leaving the nats.  So not taking that deal didn’t really hurt him any. 

Offline imref

« Reply #610: July 10, 2019, 02:45:45 PM »
The crazy thing is that he’s managed to make over 100 million since leaving the nats.  So not taking that deal didn’t really hurt him any. 

true, and he's been a decent, consistent, hitter over the years.

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #611: July 11, 2019, 01:49:08 PM »
What evidence do you offer that Arenado is better than Rendon?
Arenado has a lifetime SLG and OPS 60-70 percentage points higher than Rendon, he’s more durable than Rendon, and he’s more of a proactive “take-charge” leader for his team than Rendon. That said, I really like Rendon but, i’m NOT gonna pay him anything close to Arenado unless he learns how to love and spell the word D-E-F-E-R-R-E-D.   :crackup:

Here come the NATS!!!

Offline dracnal

« Reply #612: July 11, 2019, 02:47:32 PM »
Arenado has a lifetime SLG and OPS 60-70 percentage points higher than Rendon, he’s more durable than Rendon, and he’s more of a proactive “take-charge” leader for his team than Rendon. That said, I really like Rendon but, i’m NOT gonna pay him anything close to Arenado unless he learns how to love and spell the word D-E-F-E-R-R-E-D.   :crackup:

Here come the NATS!!!

Playing at Coors will do that. If you use OPS+ (which takes where the games where played and the league you are in into consideration), they're pretty much the same guy with a bat. I agree that he's more durable and don't know a thing about his leadership, but Rendon does not strike me as a club house leader or spark plug; more 'go along to get along.'

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #613: July 11, 2019, 03:08:29 PM »
I've become convinced that the Nats will not re-sign one of their system-developed players instead of letting him walk in free agency unless the player is willing to take a discount to what he will get (or generally is perceived to be able to get).  I think this is a consistent thread through JZ, Desmond, Ramos, Strasburg, Harper, and will apply to Rendon and Turner (the next to go). As it turns out, JZ had a somewhat down year in his walk year, and Desi cratered, but I think both the offers to them were seeking discount to their perceived value one year out.  Strasburg clearly took a discount at the time (he also got the opt out).  Harper's deferrals were a joke. 

Agreed. It has worked more than it hasn't. I still find it pretty depressing to follow a team with this strategy compared to big market teams that extend their homegrown talent.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #614: July 11, 2019, 03:15:00 PM »
Agreed. It has worked more than it hasn't. I still find it pretty depressing to follow a team with this strategy compared to big market teams that extend their homegrown talent.

Can't wait to spend the money we could have given Rendon on a combination of Jed Lowrie, Greg Holland and Pedro Strop.

There were legitimate reasons to move on from JZ, Desmond, Ramos & Harper. But man, Rendon to me is the safest big-money investment you could give to a homegrown player. Not to mention - we had internal candidates to replace people like JZ, Desmond and Harper. There's no one within 3 levels of the majors who could come up to the major leagues and play at 3B in our system, period. We have no internal alternatives, so we'll be left hunting the bargain bin in free agency again with an organization that is either unwilling or unable to locate undervalued assets. We're not the 2000 A's who had a jump on everyone.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #615: July 11, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »

Here come the NATS!!!

Lol, "take charge"

Mindfacting

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #616: July 11, 2019, 05:53:52 PM »
Playing at Coors will do that. If you use OPS+ (which takes where the games where played and the league you are in into consideration), they're pretty much the same guy with a bat. I agree that he's more durable and don't know a thing about his leadership, but Rendon does not strike me as a club house leader or spark plug; more 'go along to get along.'
Yes, Rendon is a follower. And i wonder if he would even be playing through this “nagging injury” if it wasn’t his contract year?
Hopefully we don’t make Rendon an offer til years end to keep him from choosing to go on the IL.

Go Naaaaaaaaats!!!

Offline Slateman

« Reply #617: July 11, 2019, 06:01:18 PM »
Scrapple = NANF

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #618: July 11, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #619: July 11, 2019, 09:24:32 PM »
Yes, Rendon is a follower. And i wonder if he would even be playing through this “nagging injury” if it wasn’t his contract year?
Hopefully we don’t make Rendon an offer til years end to keep him from choosing to go on the IL.

Go Naaaaaaaaats!!!

This is what I mean when I say we hate the players.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #620: July 11, 2019, 09:38:54 PM »
This is what I mean when I say we hate the players.

There are only about 3 or 4 imbeciles here who "hate" Rendon.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #621: July 12, 2019, 06:47:34 AM »

Go Naaaaaaaaats!!!
It would probably be better for him not to play through a nagging injury during his contract year.  Anything that would limit his performance would be avoided, such as Harper barely going after balls in RF in 2018.

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #622: July 12, 2019, 07:19:15 AM »

There are only about 3 or 4 imbeciles here who "hate" Rendon.
I don’t think ANYONE “hates” Rendon. In fact, I really like Rendon just not for $250,000,000.00. I’d rather see Mike Rizzo and the Lerners stay the course by spending the big bucks on pitching and doing the best they can scoring runs with the young guys under control and aging fillers. I really like their formula.

If Rendon wants to stay here, and we would love to have him, he will have to agree to a deal that is also “best for the Nationals” because he certainly isn’t going to get what Boras is demanding.

Go Naaaaaaaaats!

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #623: July 12, 2019, 07:54:10 AM »
It would probably be better for him not to play through a nagging injury during his contract year.  Anything that would limit his performance would be avoided, such as Harper barely going after balls in RF in 2018.
I would ABSOLUTELY agree with you had Rendon not already established the reputation “easy to break slow to return”. Guess it could be a coincidence that the one time he’s playing through an injury it just happens to be in his contract year???

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #624: July 12, 2019, 07:59:33 AM »
I don’t think ANYONE “hates” Rendon. In fact, I really like Rendon just not for $250,000,000.00. I’d rather see Mike Rizzo and the Lerners stay the course by spending the big bucks on pitching and doing the best they can scoring runs with the young guys under control and aging fillers. I really like their formula.

If Rendon wants to stay here, and we would love to have him, he will have to agree to a deal that is also “best for the Nationals” because he certainly isn’t going to get what Boras is demanding.

Go Naaaaaaaaats!

Why did Corbin who plays every fifth day get everything he wanted but not Rendon who plays every day? Team is middle of the road in offense now. Watch how they drop more next year.