Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 73580 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #100: February 25, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »
I agree about Rustico Terp.  But that doesn't mean they are good at making beer.  Dave B has a good point here about just throwing things together to make beer that wasn't that great when we tried it.

I haven't eaten in Evening Star in over a decade, but it was very good.  Rustico, who can complain about that?  Food's great and a very nice beer selection.  VERY nice.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #101: February 26, 2014, 08:27:19 AM »
Evening Star is still really good so is buzz cafe,  planet wine has a very well curated selection, and rustico has a great beer list, but mathguy is right. Bluejacket seems more about listing ingredients than making good beer

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #102: March 01, 2014, 10:02:56 PM »
Anybody out in California want to ship me some Pliny?

On a more serious note, if anyone has had Heady Topper, my number 1, give Lagunitas Sucks a shot if you can find it.  I'd say it's 85% of the Topper.

I'm just now reading through this thread.  I can get you some HT and PtE if you'd like.  Or I could bring some down for the 4th of July game.  Newer batches of course. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #103: March 05, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
http://seekshreyas.com/beerviz/  (found on deadspin) interactive beer selector - tell it what you like, and it makes suggestions

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #104: March 05, 2014, 08:03:55 PM »
From the Twins spring training park:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #105: March 05, 2014, 08:33:47 PM »
Where do the Twins have spring training ?

From the Twins spring training park:

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #106: March 05, 2014, 08:34:17 PM »
Where do the Twins have spring training ?

Fort Myers

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #107: March 05, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »
Nice.  Beer shakes sound good to me.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #108: March 05, 2014, 11:06:39 PM »
Nice.  Beer shakes sound good to me.
I have the opposite problem, I get the shakes when I don't have beer. That's normal. Right?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #109: March 05, 2014, 11:29:17 PM »
Young's??  Noice

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #110: March 06, 2014, 08:27:04 AM »
I have the opposite problem, I get the shakes when I don't have beer. That's normal. Right?
I believe so!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #111: March 06, 2014, 08:40:05 AM »

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #112: March 06, 2014, 10:26:57 AM »
I'm just now reading through this thread.  I can get you some HT and PtE if you'd like.  Or I could bring some down for the 4th of July game.  Newer batches of course.

Aren't you in PA?  I'm in Jersey so a meet up might not be as far as a trip to the district.

When HT becomes available from The Alchemist's new storefront, I'll make another trip up there to grab a case or two.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #114: March 06, 2014, 10:58:32 AM »
Missed this. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-guide/wp/2014/03/04/try-heady-topper-allegedly-the-worlds-best-beer-tonight-in-adams-morgan/?tid=hpModule_42517084-919d-11e2-bdea-e32ad90da239&hpid=z15

sounds pretty crappy

UPDATE: As an FYI from Hill Farmstead, which doesn't like it when their beers are sold outside of Vermont, the beers on tonight's menu include several growlers that were filled at Hill Farmstead one or two weeks ago, including Motueka, George, Edward and Harlan. Two other Hill Farmstead beers, Arthur saison and Daybreak imperial stout, will be poured from bottles.
Hill Farmstead's (understandable) fear is that the beer in growlers might not be in the best shape, due to issues of time and travel. Bourbon's James Woods says that "I understand their views, in terms of quality control. We're going to open and taste every growler tonight before serving them." If flavors are off, Woods says, he'll only pour the bottled Hill Farmstead beers.
Fiddlehead IPA is also being poured from growlers, because the brewery doesn't bottle or can its beers. If the Fiddlehead is off, Woods will substitute another beer in its place. Even if the beer in growlers is in fine shape, Woods says, he obviously won't sell any of it after tonight.

so a $35 ticket for some flat beer?

• babble on
« Reply #115: March 06, 2014, 12:05:09 PM »
If $10 gets one a bud light at the ballpark, $35 isn't all that much for something that hard to get.  But yeah, the growler bit probably wasn't the best idea. 

sounds pretty crappy

so a $35 ticket for some flat beer?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #116: March 06, 2014, 12:12:45 PM »
I guess, but if you want craft beer, $35 bucks at any shop gets you a lot, maybe not from these super secret, we don't want to participate in commerce hipster breweries, but those places are usually just hyped based on scarcity

• babble on
« Reply #117: March 06, 2014, 12:20:10 PM »
Reminds me of a wine auction I read about a while back where a bottle of burgundy from Thomas Jefferson's cellar (I believe it had somehow been authenticated) was smashed when the idiot who was selling it pirouetted with it right into a pillar.  Several people cut their tongues trying to lick the stuff from the broken glass.  IIRC it had been expected to sell for something like $200,000.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #118: March 06, 2014, 01:38:44 PM »
I guess, but if you want craft beer, $35 bucks at any shop gets you a lot, maybe not from these super secret, we don't want to participate in commerce hipster breweries, but those places are usually just hyped based on scarcity
Last Friday, for $23 I filled a growler with the Black Cannon IPA from Heavy Seas in Arlington.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #119: March 06, 2014, 02:22:05 PM »
Craft beer is getting out of control. Generally it is all pretty good. And the step up from the readily available pretty good crap to the super rare stuff I have to walk over hot coals for is small if it even exists at all. It really seems to defy economics. Let's reduce economies of scale and charge more. At some point consumers are going to get wise to this

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #120: March 06, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
It's that hipster/douchfreakery that seems to be infecting the populace. I like good beer and grew a beard because I'm a man, and that's just the type of manly crap men are involved in. When I see you in your stupid sweater vest and two weeks post puberty beard trying to explain the subtle differences between putting an orange slice or a peach slice in your "Craft Beer" (Blue Moon) it will make me laugh all that much harder when your girlfriend tells you that she thinks you both should start dating other guys.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #121: March 06, 2014, 03:18:07 PM »
I want a beard, my dad had a beard and my grandfather had a beard. My wife told me that if I wanted to look like a hipster douche she'd stop grooming too, the beard idea died. 

• babble on
« Reply #122: March 06, 2014, 03:30:40 PM »
Yah, much better when men were men and trimmed their beards with chainsaws and stood around in crapkickers & flannel drinking Iron City cos no one knew any better and even if they had, the only "premium" beer on the market was Sam Adams. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #123: March 06, 2014, 03:33:45 PM »
Sierra Nevada predates sam and manages to be mass market and still taste good (something that seems beyond sam)

• babble on
« Reply #124: March 06, 2014, 03:35:38 PM »
OK, fine.  Anchor Steam was nationally marketed as well, and it's decent.  But perhaps you get my point.