Author Topic: Nationals vs Dodgers, Game 2  (Read 36204 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Nationals vs Dodgers, Game 2
« Reply #300: September 20, 2012, 12:15:58 PM »
Clippard has always given up the long ball. He's always going to be that way.

Not really a good trait for a closer. Not to worry. Storen will be back in the closer role by next year, if not by the postseason.

Offline spit

« Reply #301: September 20, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »
Not really a good trait for a closer. Not to worry. Storen will be back in the closer role by next year, if not by the postseason.

I hope so—I think we've given him a long enough look at it

He's the perfect 8th inning guy, but this is just not his gig.

Offline PC

« Reply #302: September 20, 2012, 12:56:21 PM »
Perhaps it would have been wise to not use the same pitcher, in both games of a doubleheader unless absolutely necessary?    Tyler Clippard was the only pitcher to pitch in both games yesterday, for either team.  Not only was he the only pitcher to pitch in both games, he faced Matt Kemp in each outing.

Nope, nothing wrong going to happen there...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #303: September 20, 2012, 12:56:25 PM »
Clippard is at 90% SV% He's perfectly fine as a closer. He translates well to the role with big time swing and miss stuff and a bulldog attitude.

Not sure what else he needs to show to be an effective closer.

Of course, I'm not a superfan, so my opinion while grounded in stats may carry less fan cache than others with extensive knowledge of the game.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #304: September 20, 2012, 01:03:38 PM »
Clippard scares me more just because he's such a fly ball pitcher.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #305: September 20, 2012, 01:08:26 PM »
It may sound like a cop-out but 'they pay the other guys too'...and the Dodgers are hanging by their fingernails in the wild card race, two games out of the second berth behind the Cardinals (who haven't helped matters, as far as the Dodgers are concerned, by winning three straight - the Cardinals' current schedule is pretty soft too, finishing a series with the Astros today and starting a series at Wrigley tomorrow). With a tough away series at Cincinnati's Great American Bandbox starting tomorrow we can count on them bringing their 'A' game tonight as well.

It's not like we've been playing opponents like the Astros or Cubs who have nothing to play for.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #306: September 20, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »
Perhaps it would have been wise to not use the same pitcher, in both games of a doubleheader unless absolutely necessary?    Tyler Clippard was the only pitcher to pitch in both games yesterday, for either team.  Not only was he the only pitcher to pitch in both games, he faced Matt Kemp in each outing.

Nope, nothing wrong going to happen there...

I wondered that too. I would have thought Davey would have saved Storen for one of the games. Christian Garcia has been really effective as of late.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #307: September 20, 2012, 01:10:51 PM »
And someone is going to have to explain how they can love Clippard as a setup man but not a closer. The only difference in the two comes down to attitude. Clippard has shown he has a closer's mentality. The game situation is no different between the two roles. Protect the lead or blow the save.

If you like Clippard in the eighth inning the only way you can't like him in the ninth is if you think he doesn't have the attitude for it. He clearly has shown through repeated demonstration that he has the right attitude. Thus, if you like Clipp in the eighth you have to like him as a closer.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #308: September 20, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »
OldC, I said that last night.. seems to have fallen on deaf ears, though.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #309: September 20, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »
And someone is going to have to explain how they can love Clippard as a setup man but not a closer. The only difference in the two comes down to attitude. Clippard has shown he has a closer's mentality. The game situation is no different between the two roles. Protect the lead or blow the save.

If you like Clippard in the eighth inning the only way you can't like him in the ninth is if you think he doesn't have the attitude for it. He clearly has shown through repeated demonstration that he has the right attitude. Thus, if you like Clipp in the eighth you have to like him as a closer.

What they really need to do is bring back his old entry music ('Peaches' by the Presidents of the United States of America) - that would, I think, put everything to rights.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #310: September 20, 2012, 01:13:57 PM »
There's a big difference between pitching the 8th and 9th innings.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #311: September 20, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »
There's a big difference between pitching the 8th and 9th innings.

You know from experience?

Offline PC

« Reply #312: September 20, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »
With a tough away series at Cincinnati's Great American Bandbox starting tomorrow we can count on them bringing their 'A' game tonight as well.

Yesterday, we got their "A" game (which isn't very good) plus a free run from Alan Porter.  A team's "A" game looks a whole lot better when the homeplate umpire is dishing out the freebies.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #313: September 20, 2012, 01:48:46 PM »
No crap theres a difference. But its only a mental one. Clippard has proven time and time again he can handle it.

Only super expert fans think otherwise (excluding spit).

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #314: September 20, 2012, 02:04:56 PM »
Nice problem to have two guys who are comfortable in the closer role.