Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 204267 times)

Offline machpost

I don't understand the logic behind this map. What's up with Raleigh and Philadelphia?
In the case of Philly, presumably it's because Atlanta is 1.5 GB in the standings.

Online RobDibblesGhost

Girardi does a great job.

He should be fine. However...the main PBP guy, Len Kasper, is the primary voice of the Cubs.

Offline Nick the Pig

Or Raleigh.

Yeah, see that red blob in central NC around Raleigh ? I'm stuck with the Astros/Sox.  :evil:

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
A New York judge has set July 12 for oral arguments in the long-running dispute between the Washington Nationals and Baltimore Orioles over money from the cable channel they jointly own.

Supreme Court Justice Joel M. Cohen on Friday accepted the schedule proposed by the teams.

Washington wants Cohen to confirm an April 15 decision by Major League Baseball’s Revenue Sharing Definitions Committee awarding the Nationals $296.8 million from the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network for the team’s television rights for 2012-16.

Baltimore asked Cohen to put the matter on hold until the New York Court of Appeals hears the Orioles’ challenge to a New York Supreme Court Appellate Division decision in 2017 that sent the dispute back to the RSDC for a rehearing. The RSDC’s original 2014 decision was thrown out by a New York court because a law firm representing the Nationals also had represented teams of RSDC members.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/may/17/orioles-nats-dispute-set-for-july-12-court-argumen/

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
July 12 before a Judge Cohen at a courtroom in NY Supreme Court on Centre Street? Maybe I will go just to listen and watch. This is probably where the hearing will be held:

https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/comdiv/ny/newyork-chamberspart-JCohen.shtml

Offline hotshot

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-panel-cuts-value-nats-tv-rights-dispute-185417804--mlb.html

MASN is done.  It's only a question of how long the Angelos family can keep postponing the matter in litigation.

If you're right, what's your prediction on where we'll be watching every Nats game? NBCSW? Some new network?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
MASN files formal opposition to second MLB ruling favoring Nationals
The Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, majority-owned by the Baltimore Orioles, has filed with the New York Supreme Court its formal opposition to a Major League Baseball arbitration ruling against the regional sports network.

https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/masn-files-formal-opposition-to-second-mlb-ruling-favoring-nationals/

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline wj73

:smh:

It’s never going to end till MASN is bankrupt and there’s nothing left to divide.

Offline HalfSmokes

Their grandkids will be litigating this

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Lawyers for the Baltimore Orioles were met by skeptical questions from a judge they asked to reject an arbitration decision from baseball executives awarding the Washington Nationals $296.8 million for their television rights from 2012-16.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019/07/12/orioles-ask-court-to-refuse-arbitration-decision-with-nats/

Story Update from 12-JULY-2019

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Their grandkids will be litigating this

I believe that if the judge sides with the Nats there is no more room for appeal, the Os will have to pay up or be in breech of contract. The resolution will be a mess because the profit distributions for the five years will need to be adjusted.

Online Natsinpwc

I believe that if the judge sides with the Nats there is no more room for appeal, the Os will have to pay up or be in breech of contract. The resolution will be a mess because the profit distributions for the five years will need to be adjusted.
The only ones who make out will be the lawyers.

Offline HalfSmokes

I have a feeling that every time the contract resets they’ll go though this

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The only ones who make out will be the lawyers.

And accountants.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Are we rich yet?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I hope a large chunk of that money is deferred. >:(

Offline machpost

When does the Nats' contract with MASN expire? Never?

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
When does the Nats' contract with MASN expire? Never?

The Lerners didn't buy the broadcast rights with the team, they don't own them. That's why the original sale price was so low. They payed just $450 million (the team has quadrupled in value so not having the TV rights hasn't hurt them too bad). To buy Angelos out would cost about a billion in open bidding.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
The Lerners didn't buy the broadcast rights with the team, they don't own them.

MLB gave the broadcast rights to the DC region to the Orioles in '82 I believe it was.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
MLB gave the broadcast rights to the DC region to the Orioles in '82 I believe it was.
I think a better wording would be that MLB "assigned" the DC region to the Orioles. MLB controls these assignments and per the franchise agreements between teams and MLB, teams only have exclusivity in the city/county that they are located in and the cities/counties that touch it. So, Baltimore located in Baltimore City would have exclusivity only over Baltimore and Anne Arundal Counties.

MLB assigns TV territories. Note that there was not similar disputes over Florida when the Marlins moved into Braves territory nor when Tampa moved into Marlins territory.

Offline HalfSmokes

I think a better wording would be that MLB "assigned" the DC region to the Orioles. MLB controls these assignments and per the franchise agreements between teams and MLB, teams only have exclusivity in the city/county that they are located in and the cities/counties that touch it. So, Baltimore located in Baltimore City would have exclusivity only over Baltimore and Anne Arundal Counties.

MLB assigns TV territories. Note that there was not similar disputes over Florida when the Marlins moved into Braves territory nor when Tampa moved into Marlins territory.

In this case the mlb caved and gave angelos the nats rights as part of a settlement to not challenge the expos move. MASN owns those rights, and it primarily owned by angelos

Offline phil219

If the day comes that they declare Anne Arundel County to be only Orioles territory, then there better not be local blackouts of Nats games on mlb.tv at my Annapolis house or I will set something on fire.

Offline Duke of Earl

My daughter just texted me - from Dubrovnik, Croatia.  Claims she's watching the game - on MASN. Is that possible?