Author Topic: Rizzo had a gag order on Eckstein?  (Read 4882 times)

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Re: Rizzo had a gag order on Eckstein?
« Reply #100: June 05, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »
Ok, anyone think Rizzo ISN'T at fault?
Me

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #101: June 05, 2011, 08:51:40 PM »
From Minty's post:

I bet damn near everyone on here (myself included) have asked for candid responses and a stop to the standard bullcrap that gets churned out of press conferences, press releases and the like.

:smh:

You're killing me Smalls

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #102: June 05, 2011, 08:52:03 PM »

Ok, just so I'm clear here .. the "He' you're speaking of is Rizzo right, not Reid??

Yes.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #104: June 05, 2011, 08:53:05 PM »
Agenda in full swing here.  Dude, you have no idea what fully transpired.

No one here does, we just have the attributed quotes.  If someone told you that wouldn't you think they were a total jerkoff?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #106: June 05, 2011, 08:53:45 PM »
It appears as if the league itself has guidelines regarding accessibility for the manager and coaches, and Rizzo overreached in trying to blockade access to Eckstein.  It was a good learning experience for him.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #107: June 05, 2011, 08:57:40 PM »
No one here does, we just have the attributed quotes.  If someone told you that wouldn't you think they were a total jerkoff?

Not if they pressed me with the same freaking question fifteen freaking times.  You're painting the picture that this Reid character was the model of innocence and just asked one simple question.  Reid himself wrote:  "Informed he was incorrect, Rizzo offered this gem:" 

That doesn't reek of cynicism to you? 

How was Rizzo "informed"?  How far was he pushed for an answer?

We don't know.  All we have is this one guy's point of view - and it's a guy I've never heard of.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #108: June 05, 2011, 08:59:10 PM »
It appears as if the league itself has guidelines regarding accessibility for the manager and coaches, and Rizzo overreached in trying to blockade access to Eckstein.  It was a good learning experience for him.

If he violated any rules, he'll be fined.  And I'm sure Mr. Reid will be happy to provide a full recap if Rizzo is ever found to have been non-compliant.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #109: June 05, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »
Not if they pressed me with the same freaking question fifteen freaking times.  You're painting the picture that this Reid character was the model of innocence and just asked one simple question.  Reid himself wrote:  "Informed he was incorrect, Rizzo offered this gem:" 

That doesn't reek of cynicism to you? 

How was Rizzo "informed"?  How far was he pushed for an answer?

We don't know.  All we have is this one guy's point of view - and it's a guy I've never heard of.

Rizzo said that other coaches weren't offering interviews, but the reporters corrected him because obviously they were the ones who had obtained interviews from the other coaches.  Rizzo was seemingly ignorant of what was going on.  Not that he should concern himself with it, but if he's going to try to control media access he ought to at least do his homework.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #110: June 05, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »
Not if they pressed me with the same freaking question fifteen freaking times.

Definitely, that's entirely possible and probably the case.  My issue is more with the "I call the shots you lick my boots" attitude. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #111: June 05, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »
Rizzo said that other coaches weren't offering interviews, but the reporters corrected him because obviously they were the ones who had obtained interviews from the other coaches.  Rizzo was seemingly ignorant of what was going on.  Not that he should concern himself with it, but if he's going to try to control media access he ought to at least do his homework.

I still would like to hear the audio before we just throw this completely on Rizzo.  He may have been a complete douche, but there's no way of knowing if he was pushed without that audio. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #112: June 05, 2011, 09:02:47 PM »
Definitely, that's entirely possible and probably the case.  My issue is more with the "I call the shots you lick my boots" attitude. 

Telling people he's in charge if they push back on him is a quality we don't want in a GM?  :shrug:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #113: June 05, 2011, 09:04:51 PM »
I still would like to hear the audio before we just throw this completely on Rizzo.  He may have been a complete douche, but there's no way of knowing if he was pushed without that audio. 

Hey, you edited your post before I could respond to the previous one!    :nono:    :rofl:

At the request of the Baseball Writers Association of America, the commissioner’s office became involved in the situation, and the Nationals are now permitting Eckstein to share his thoughts from time to time.

In response to your deleted text, yes, Rizzo and the Nats had their hands slapped by the commissioner's office and are now complying with the league policy on access to team management.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #114: June 05, 2011, 09:06:26 PM »
Telling people he's in charge if they push back on him is a quality we don't want in a GM?  :shrug:

Being wrong in doing so only made him look like a douchebag.  Personally, I just want him to field a winner and not get involved in horsecrap like this but that's just me, a tortured fan that pays his blue collar dollars to watch this team get shutout from time to time.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #115: June 05, 2011, 09:09:04 PM »

The Nats' media are lap dogs.  Nobody pushes Rizzo at all hardly.  It's a joke that he should feel oppressed, how do you think the NY, Boston or Philadelphia media would address the continued presence of Stairs and Bixler on the active roster? 

And let's be honest, the Nats have had quite a number of horrific offensive performances, getting shut down by journeymen, has-beens or novices and to puss Rizzo on the effectiveness of our hitting coach is time well spent in my opinon.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #116: June 05, 2011, 09:10:47 PM »
...how do you think the NY, Boston or Philadelphia media would address the continued presence of Stairs and Bixler on the active roster?

He'd be hung by his balls by the press and the fans.  

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #117: June 06, 2011, 12:37:42 AM »
Rizzo is an arrogant crap.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #118: June 06, 2011, 08:51:56 AM »
Hey, you edited your post before I could respond to the previous one!    :nono:    :rofl:

I don't recall deleting anything.  I changes one punctuation mark to make a grammatically correct statement - even though it was quoted before my ninja edit (see if you can find it - like a where's Waldo...  :lol: ).

The Nats' media are lap dogs.  Nobody pushes Rizzo at all hardly.  It's a joke that he should feel oppressed, how do you think the NY, Boston or Philadelphia media would address the continued presence of Stairs and Bixler on the active roster?  

And let's be honest, the Nats have had quite a number of horrific offensive performances, getting shut down by journeymen, has-beens or novices and to puss Rizzo on the effectiveness of our hitting coach is time well spent in my opinon.

I was in a crap, over-tired mood.  I really don't care about this as much as I led on.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #119: June 06, 2011, 09:00:40 AM »

I was in a crap, over-tired mood.  I really don't care about this as much as I led on.

I don't really care much either, but it's fun getting WPA all fired up.    :stir:

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #120: June 06, 2011, 09:03:55 AM »

Are you serious?  There are a million valid reasons to question a GMs judgment, this would be item 999,995 on the list for me

I didn't say it was the #1 all-time best ever reason to question his judgment.  I just said it was a reason, so we're actually in agreement, unless you remove it from your Top Million list.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #121: June 06, 2011, 09:38:05 AM »
I am frustrated by Rizzo lack of experience/competence but I really don't want to hear some sycophantic reporter whine either.

Quote from: Jason Reid
This isn’t New York. It’s not Chicago or Los Angeles, either. This just isn’t the type of media market in which Eckstein would face a daily volley of difficult questions about his role in the offense’s failure.

Why the hell not? You freaking pansy. Ask some tough questions instead of throwing batting practice.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #122: June 06, 2011, 11:05:11 AM »
Freedom of the press and speech isn't a one way street.   I'm also free not to talk to your sorry ass Jason.

...and on top of that, the First Amendment is only a constraint on government - it does not apply to MLB clubs or other private business entities.

Failure of a private business entity to communicate with a professional journo may be assailable on other grounds (such as non-compliance with league-mandated rules on media access) but this is not a freedom-of-press violation.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #123: June 06, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »
I don't really care much either, but it's fun getting WPA all fired up.    :stir:

Ha!

Bring it!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #124: June 06, 2011, 11:23:24 AM »
I didn't say it was the #1 all-time best ever reason to question his judgment.  I just said it was a reason, so we're actually in agreement, unless you remove it from your Top Million list.

Nah, it's still in the top 1 million :)