Author Topic: Rizzo had a gag order on Eckstein?  (Read 5182 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Rizzo had a gag order on Eckstein?
« Reply #25: June 05, 2011, 12:28:01 PM »
Rizzo's issues aside. I love it how some of the media thinks they're entitled to ANYTHING. It's not like they give a crap about the Nationals and when did Jason Reid realize Washington had a baseball team? Last week?

He writes the occasional Nats column, 4 since April 1.  Obviously not a baseball first guy like Boz or Sheinin, but we've certainly had worse and more indifferent sports columnists in Washington (think Wilbon, or Kornheiser) .  I think it's fair to keep in mind that the beat writers and other columnists who follow the team closely have the dilemma of risking their access to the team and front office if they are overly critical or offend the powers that be with what they write, what topics they pursue. 

Reid doesn't have that constraint, he's free to speak his mind and I have no problem if he wants to take Rizzo to task for attempting to manipulate media access to his coaches.  Note that none of the other media saw fit to mention the gag order, though it had to have been grating.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #26: June 05, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »
He writes the occasional Nats column, 4 since April 1.  Obviously not a baseball first guy like Boz or Sheinin, but we've certainly had worse and more indifferent sports columnists in Washington (think Wilbon, or Kornheiser) .  I think it's fair to keep in mind that the beat writers and other columnists who follow the team closely have the dilemma of risking their access to the team and front office if they are overly critical or offend the powers that be with what they write, what topics they pursue.  

Reid doesn't have that constraint, he's free to speak his mind and I have no problem if he wants to take Rizzo to task for attempting to manipulate media access to his coaches.  Note that none of the other media saw fit to mention the gag order, though it had to have been grating.

Yeah, sorry, I don't buy any of that. Reid got his panties in a twist because Rizzo wouldn't kiss his ass. Plain and simple. Which is nothing new for Reid, btw. It's quite obvious to me that Rizzo was trying to protect Eckstein because the hitting has been so bad. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, and not that he needed to, Eckstein is a pro, and Rizzo could have gone about it better, but yeah, sorry, I'm not buying for one second that this had anything more to do with than a bruised ego.

I just find the sense of entitlement of the media galling. No one is obligated to talk to you jerk. Get over yourself. It's such a pervasive attitude these days and it's just nauseating

And I read pretty much everything from Ben & Adam and Amanda, etc., and I dont' get the sense at all that they are aggravated or frustrated with dealing with Rizzo at all.  I think we'd see a lot more of that if Rizzo was so difficult to work with.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #27: June 05, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »
Note that none of the other media saw fit to mention the gag order, though it had to have been grating.

The gag order was reported by Ladson when it was originally imposed back on 5/19.  Without doing too many searches, I'm fairly certain that it was covered by Zuckerman among others.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #28: June 05, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »
Rizzo also had gag order on 320 8)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #29: June 05, 2011, 12:51:48 PM »
The gag order was reported by Ladson when it was originally imposed back on 5/19.  Without doing too many searches, I'm fairly certain that it was covered by Zuckerman among others.

Ok, shows how much I've been reading Ladson if true.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #30: June 05, 2011, 12:54:18 PM »
I just find the sense of entitlement of the media galling. No one is obligated to talk to you jerk. Get over yourself. It's such a pervasive attitude these days and it's just nauseating

It was certainly the Nats beat writers who complained to the Baseball Writers Association of America, not just Reid, and there is a good reason why MLB sided with the writers and over-ruled Rizzo on the issue.  Despite the rise of the internet allowing direct access from the team to the fans, there is still a large portion of the fan base that relies on papers such as the Post for their baseball news, so cutting off access to a primary source of free publicity was a dumb move on Rizzo's part.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #31: June 05, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »
Ok, shows how much I've been reading Ladson if true.

You've may be missing out on the MLB board as well as there was a large thread on the subject.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #32: June 05, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »
It was certainly the Nats beat writers who complained to the Baseball Writers Association of America, not just Reid, and there is a good reason why MLB sided with the writers and over-ruled Rizzo on the issue.  Despite the rise of the internet allowing direct access from the team to the fans, there is still a large portion of the fan base that still relies on papers such as the Post for their baseball news, so cutting off access to a primary source of free publicity was a dumb move on Rizzo's part.

And this is the issue in a nutshell. Why? Why is it so important to hear the immortal words of Rick Eckstein? Here's the answer, IT'S NOT.  What's he going to say that's so earth shattering? "We're not hitting."  Really? Ya Think?

I'm so sick of this attitude. Nobody is obligated to talk to anyone in the media for any reason what so ever. Period. If Rizzo wanted to protect Eckstein that his prerogative. For Reid or anyone to act like it's some affront to God is insulting. And for Reid to act like dealing with the media should be priority number 1 for Rizzo is even more insulting.

Waaa he won't let me talk to him. I'm just going to stomp my foot and hold my breath and turn blue and then I'm going to run to MOMMY and get her to MAKE you talk to me.

This baseball team has REAL problems, the media not being able to talk to Rick Eckstein for a couple weeks is NOT ONE OF THEM.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #33: June 05, 2011, 01:00:51 PM »

Nixon was a crook.  (I am not a crook)

Besides,  I don't see Ben or Adam or Boz ripping Rizzo for the way he deals with the them. Sure they have their issues with Rizzo and question some of the things he's done, that's valid. but who the freak is Jason Reid? And why does he all of a sudden give a crap about the Nationals?

Ah, you remember tricky Dicky :)    I totally agree with your point about Jason Reid.   He's the new Wilbon.    I think Reid is trying to establish his "name" in the market and he will gore any ox he can find.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #34: June 05, 2011, 01:04:09 PM »
Ah, you remember tricky Dicky :)    I totally agree with your point about Jason Reid.   He's the new Wilbon.    I think Reid is trying to establish his "name" in the market and he will gore any ox he can find.

Exactly. My issue here is with Reid throwing his weight around like he matters (he doesn't) and like he gives a freak about the Nationals (he doesn't).  And it's not just this instance, it happens all the time with the media. I find them intrusive and ridiculous because many of them only care about stirring the pot and taking cheap shots. It's tiresome.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #35: June 05, 2011, 01:04:24 PM »
And this is the issue in a nutshell. Why? Why is it so important to hear the immortal words of Rick Eckstein? Here's the answer, IT'S NOT.  What's he going to say that's so earth shattering? "We're not hitting."  Really? Ya Think?

I'm so sick of this attitude. Nobody is obligated to talk to anyone in the media for any reason what so ever. Period. If Rizzo wanted to protect Eckstein that his prerogative. For Reid or anyone to act like it's some affront to God is offensive.

Waaa he won't let me talk to him. I'm just going to stomp my foot and hold my breath and turn blue and then I'm going to run to MOMMY and get her to MAKE you talk to me.

This baseball team has REAL problems, the media not being able to talk to Rick Eckstein for a couple weeks is NOT ONE OF THEM.

Well, the Nats beat writers, the baseball writers association, and MLB all disagreed with you and Rizzo, so for all his big talk about being the head GM in charge, he found out that he can't do whatever he wants.

In any case this is a pretty small issue compared to the under-performing team Rizzo has put together.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #36: June 05, 2011, 01:07:13 PM »
Exactly. My issue here is with Reid throwing his weight around like he matters (he doesn't) and like he gives a freak about the Nationals (he doesn't).  And it's not just this instance, it happens all the time with the media. I find them intrusive and ridiculous because many of them only care about stirring the pot and taking cheap shots. It's tiresome.

Sounds like you would prefer a press that conforms to the company line.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #37: June 05, 2011, 01:08:17 PM »
Well, the Nats beat writers, the baseball writers association, and MLB all disagreed with you and Rizzo, so for all his big talk about being the head GM in charge, he found out that he can't do whatever he wants.

In any case this is a pretty small issue compared to the under-performing team Rizzo has put together.

Exactly, the idea that Reid thinks that dealing with the media should be priority number 1 for Rizzo is LAUGHABLE. You don't matter jerk. Get over yourself. It's just galling.

If fielding a winning team means never granting another interview ever, then so be it. That's all I want Rizzo caring about.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #38: June 05, 2011, 01:09:21 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

LOL yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Way to go from the reasonable to the absurd in one fell swoop. Ridiculous. Congrats

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #39: June 05, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »
LOL yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Way to go from the reasonable to the absurd in one fell swoop. Ridiculous. Congrats

Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post.  I'm clear now.  You support a 100% free and independent press, right up to the point of sports writers demanding access to a hitting coach, that crosses the line.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #40: June 05, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »

Freedom of the press and speech isn't a one way street.   I'm also free not to talk to your sorry ass Jason.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #41: June 05, 2011, 01:16:25 PM »
Freedom of the press and speech isn't a one way street.   I'm also free not to talk to your sorry ass Jason.

Except if mandated by your current employer and you want to keep your job.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #42: June 05, 2011, 01:17:13 PM »
I love it how some of the media thinks they're entitled to ANYTHING.

I agree with this.

Just because NeedANewTroll says so doesn't make it true - do you have proof?

Is there really any doubt that Rizzo is among the lowest paid GM's in the game?

Offline ghostface

« Reply #43: June 05, 2011, 01:17:25 PM »
i think we have a case here of two idiots that aren't professionals butting heads over an absurd situation.  Reid's column has amateur written all over it and in between the lines as well.  Rizzo is a jackass to even gag Eckstein to begin with and then his "I'm the badass GM that does what he wants" show his true colors. 

sadly we're the ones that truly suffer.  we have a crap columnist that writes worthless drivel and glorified scout for a GM and both of them will be here too long.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #44: June 05, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »
Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post.  I'm clear now.  You support a 100% free and independent press, right up to the point of sports writers demanding access to a hitting coach, that crosses the line.

Again, ridiculous

As Milton so articulating stated: Freedom of the press is not a one way street, I'm also free not to talk to our sorry ass Jason.

There are real issues with this baseball team, not talking to Rick Eckstein is not one of them.

Go ahead, ask the hard questions, make the criticisms, say whatever you want. But don't act like a petulant baby when someone exercises their freedom and chooses not to speak to your sorry ass.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #45: June 05, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »
Again, ridiculous

As Milton so articulating stated: Freedom of the press is not a one way street, I'm also free not to talk to our sorry ass Jason.

There are real issues with this baseball team, not talking to Rick Eckstein is not one of them.

Go ahead, ask the hard questions, make the criticisms, say whatever you want. But don't act like a petulant baby when someone exercises their freedom and chooses not to speak to your sorry ass.

Right

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #46: June 05, 2011, 01:23:21 PM »

mitlen, reconsider using this as an avatar until football season begins.  :lol:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #47: June 05, 2011, 01:23:25 PM »
Except if mandated by your current employer and you want to keep your job.

Which I completely disagree with btw. Whatever, that's not what I've been talking about. My issue is with Jason Reid's ridiculous, petulant and pathetic article whining because Mike Rizzo wouldn't share his juice box on the playground.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #48: June 05, 2011, 01:24:10 PM »
Right

I forgot trying to have a reasonable discussion with you was an act of futility.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #49: June 05, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »
mitlen, reconsider using this as an avatar until football season begins.  :lol:

LOL