Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals @ Mets, Game 1 (L)  (Read 9380 times)

Online rileyn

Gameday Thread: Nationals @ Mets, Game 1 (L)
« Reply #125: May 01, 2006, 10:10:44 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
Quote from: "LetsGoNats"
I agree the players suck and aren't doing there jobs, but whose job is it to get them to play sound fundamentals?   The manager can't teach a guy to run faster or probably throw harder or hit a curveball, but he damn well better make them play sound fundamentals.   How about not tolerating it when it occurs every night?   Why not sit some guys down when they repeatedly make boneheaded plays?  

There is no denying that this team lacks any kind of solid fundamentals.  Ultimately, that is the managers responsibility.  You can't fire 25 players, but you can fire the manager.

Because its a different f-ing guy every damn game.

Cordero blows a save
Soriano misjudges a ball
Eischen and Stanton walk 8 guys
Guillen drops a ball
Ortiz throws one into CF
Majewski throws one into CF
Rauch gives up a HR
Zimm throws one away

that list took me 30 seconds to make and those account for 8 of our 19 (?) losses

Exactly right.  The entire team has a virus.  I really think that we are mental marshmallows.  That blown lead last Sunday night against Atlanta (that to Majewski) really seems to have knocked us out, and it doesn't seem we have much spirit left.  It's almost like they expect the worst (as does everybody on this board) so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #126: May 01, 2006, 10:13:24 PM »
At least we had the fun of all cyber-yelling at each other :lol:

Sorry I got so pissed and ranted so much.  The way this one ended just took the cake as the most absurd way to lose.

It is very hard work being a fan of this team right now (but I still am).

Online rileyn

« Reply #127: May 01, 2006, 10:14:16 PM »
Everything you say is true Rilelyn, but I'm just pissed off after watching this every night.

The fact is, they don't play good fundamental baseball & there probably isn't anyway to instill that once the season starts.  That should have been done in Spring Training.

They should just keep playing like crap & ruin any little bit of enthusiasm there is left for the team in town & then we can hear about how baseball doesn't work in DC when they are averaging 15,000 a game in August & September.

Unfortunately, I agree with you.  I really think the WBC hurt this team more than most.  We had injuries (Ayala) and our guys that did play have been pretty pathetic (Schneider, Majewski, Cordero).  Not to mention the fact that we had to deal with the whole Soriano bullsh*t and you can see how Frank wasn't teaching under the most ideal circumstances.

Offline LetsGoNats

« Reply #128: May 01, 2006, 10:18:13 PM »
Have you guys ever seen "Major League 2"?  I'm basically like the character played by Randy Quaid, the pessimistic, but die-hard, fan.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #129: May 01, 2006, 10:19:51 PM »
Quote from: LetsGoNats
What do you want?

Frank to hit them more fungoes before the game?
How about benching players that miss signs and get caught stealing and cost us a run?  How about benching players that can't catch fly balls?  How about benching pitchers that throw the ball into centerfield on a double play ball (at least the 2nd time that has happened)?

How about some accountability?

I don't know how you hold the bullpen accountable, since they're already pitching too many innings.  What I mean is, you can't sit Majewski down and just pitch Rodriquez more innings to cover.  The position players, yes, I agree.  For one thing, bench Guillen again, and play Ward.  When Church is healthy again, let him sit for a few more games, Byrd plays better anyway.  Etc.

Offline LetsGoNats

« Reply #130: May 01, 2006, 10:20:51 PM »
You're right Tom.  The bullpen is pretty much a mess right now.

Online rileyn

« Reply #131: May 01, 2006, 10:23:38 PM »
Have you guys ever seen "Major League 2"?  I'm basically like the character played by Randy Quaid, the pessimistic, but die-hard, fan.

I'm just like you, but now I'm trying to look at the positive.  Think of it this way, at least by losing in the 9th, we didn't have to go through a 12 inning ordeal that would cause us all to go ape sh*t an hour from now.  At least we got it over with.

Try not to think about the fact that the Mets had already burned up their bullpen.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #132: May 01, 2006, 10:26:25 PM »
Not having an owner, who was promised for Opening Day 2005, meant that we didn't know if the new owner would keep the current management.  Other teams were making deals in the off season, while the Nats were up in the air.  Last year's pitchers went elsewhere, especially when everybody knew that the Orioles were getting 90% of the TV revenue - which would therefore be unavailable for THIS team.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #133: May 01, 2006, 10:39:49 PM »
That is not a reason to fire frank. These guys are apparently professional baseball players

They might be professional baseball players, but they are acting and playing like a very bad softball tournament team. They're being managed by a man who's never won anything as a manager, coming in second counts for absolutely nothing in baseball. Frank Robinson may have been a great player, but as a manager, he hasn't got a clue. He cant teach, cant control, doesn't know how to handle pitchers and his idea for a cure all, is a frigging team meeting.

This team needs to be overhauled, from the top down, with no mercy (let's let Frank finish the season) stops along the way. If this team was a horse, it would have been put down long ago. This team is sick, and the cure is to remove the infections.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #134: May 01, 2006, 10:56:16 PM »
Because its a different f-ing guy every damn game.

Cordero blows a save
Soriano misjudges a ball
Eischen and Stanton walk 8 guys
Guillen drops a ball
Ortiz throws one into CF
Majewski throws one into CF
Rauch gives up a HR
Zimm throws one away

that list took me 30 seconds to make and those account for 8 of our 19 (?) losses

You forgot that Majewski (who's SUPPOSED TO be one of our better relievers) has three blown saves...

Your list proves that the Nats STINK. They are unable to show even a smidgin of consistency, they're showing once again this season, they cant hit, they choke by making errors at the most inopportune times during games, and too often on plays Little Leaguers makes routinely.

If the Nats are gonna lose with this much consistency, I would much rather watch a team filled with prospects, manged by someone who actually has won something besides the odd card game, run by someone who can acquire something other than a bunch of fleet footed hitless wonders.

Online The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #135: May 01, 2006, 11:15:47 PM »
I more or less agree about starting over.  Watching this team is becoming truly painful.  Far worse than 2nd half last year.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #136: May 01, 2006, 11:22:12 PM »
Always look on the bright side: seating at RFK should be AWESOME this year!   :lol:

Online The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #137: May 01, 2006, 11:44:32 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
Always look on the bright side: seating at RFK should be AWESOME this year!   :lol:

Yeah, too bad it won't be any cheaper.