Author Topic: X-rays show Soriano's hand broken by pitch - out 6 weeks  (Read 1621 times)

Offline ronnynat

That's been happening a lot this year.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Pitchers are showing proper historical understanding and respect for the game of baseball by plunking hitters for their showboating. :?

Is this report from the doctor that examined him or is it a bogus ESPN doctor that pronounced it?  :?

Offline MDoyle

• UMW 2010
Son of a nag.  Like I didn't have enough players hurt on my fantasy team.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
He shouldn't stand so close to the plate.

Offline blue911

Is this report from the doctor that examined him or is it a bogus ESPN doctor that pronounced it?  :?

Whatya mean bogus doctor? I'll have you know his last patient came in third at the Belmont Stakes.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Whatya mean bogus doctor? I'll have you know his last patient came in third at the Belmont Stakes.

You showed me up blue. :lol:

MrMadison

He shouldn't stand so close to the plate.

yeah, pitcher was just being professional. it's all Soriano's fault.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
yeah, pitcher was just being professional. it's all Soriano's fault.

If you don't want to get hit, don't stand over the plate.

MrMadison

If you don't want to get hit, don't stand in the batter's box.

fixed.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Sorry, I forgot.  It's not like Soriano has a long history of standing over the plate.  Or hanging his elbows in the strike zone.  Since he was a rookie.  My bad.   :roll:

MrMadison

Sorry, I forgot.  It's not like Soriano has a long history of standing over the plate.  Or hanging his elbows in the strike zone.  Since he was a rookie.  My bad.   :roll:

lemme guess, you have to stand all the way in the back of the batter's box, or else it is "unprofessional" and gives the pitcher the right to hit you, right?  :roll:

i wonder what DOESN'T give the pitcher the right to hit you, if anything at all.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
And if a hitter can't hit the low and away slider over the course of his career (like Soriano) perhaps he should try laying off it instead of crowding the plate.  It goes both ways.

A pitcher like Clemens or Pedro throwing at someone just to do it is unprofessional.  However, if a pitcher wants to protect the plate from a hitter who is crowding the plate, as a catcher I am calling the high and tight fastball.  Not designed to hit the batter, but give him the idea that I'm not afraid to do it.  By the same token, if he digs in and crowds the plate again, that's his choice. 

It's all a matter of choice.  The pitcher has a right to the entire plate as does the batter.  If a batter wants to crowd the plate then he has to understand there's a chance the pitch is coming inside. 

Soriano was not hit because he was showing up the other team (like what's being debated in the Dukes thread).  Soriano was crowding the plate and the pitcher threw high and tight and the pitch was actually not that far off.