Author Topic: Need to find PT work  (Read 2436 times)

Offline kimnat

Need to find PT work
« Topic Start: May 30, 2008, 10:43:48 PM »
Hey Gang,

If any of you are in the know of any PT jobs, I'd appreciate hearing about them.  I'd prefer to keep writing - freelance.  Nothing I can do will pay enough for day care for 3 kids.  If it requires going somewhere, it would have to be evenings, nights, weekends.

thanks,
Kim

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Need to find PT work
« Reply #1: May 31, 2008, 12:11:21 PM »
 :( Evenings, Nights, Weekends?!  Then when can you go to NATS games?!!!

I understand, things are tight.  Hmm.  The only places I can think of for those categories is retail. 

Check with other local newspapers.  Manassas Journal Messenger/Potomac News?  I don't know if they have openings for writers or not.  Examiner?  The Onion? ;)

Offline kimnat

« Reply #2: May 31, 2008, 12:11:55 PM »
Mully's got the market cornered on The Onion.  :lol:

Offline CALSGR8

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #4: May 31, 2008, 10:59:09 PM »
You might check with EEI (formerly Editorial Experts) in Old Town (eeicom.com). They hire temps for publishing jobs and may have evening shift placements. You do have to be tested to be on their roster and probably sign a no-compete clause, though.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #5: May 31, 2008, 11:04:02 PM »
Cool, Thanks.  NatsAddict mentioned them to me, too.  I'll have to check into them!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #6: May 31, 2008, 11:10:58 PM »
You might check with EEI (formerly Editorial Experts) in Old Town (eeicom.com). They hire temps for publishing jobs and may have evening shift placements. You do have to be tested to be on their roster and probably sign a no-compete clause, though.
Cool, Thanks.  NatsAddict mentioned them to me, too.  I'll have to check into them!

Great minds....

Offline kimnat

« Reply #7: May 31, 2008, 11:25:27 PM »
;)

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #8: May 31, 2008, 11:27:22 PM »
I think I might write a book, hmmm maybe a biography hmmmm

Offline kimnat

« Reply #9: May 31, 2008, 11:30:32 PM »
If I didn't need income so bad right now, I'd write a "Parents' Guide to Pediatric Cancer".  Outline has been done for a year.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #10: May 31, 2008, 11:35:25 PM »
If I didn't need income so bad right now, I'd write a "Parents' Guide to Pediatric Cancer".  Outline has been done for a year.
What you planning to write? I am pretty popular around school cause I'm funny and could get my friends to think of something to write.

This reminds me of a story we wrote about a clown who killed cats for cold cash?

Way to perverted for any on-line forum. And my friend lost his lunch box with the story in it and when he got it back all the stuff was gone. *sniff*

Offline kimnat

« Reply #11: May 31, 2008, 11:40:06 PM »
I'm going to write a book for parents whose children have been diagnosed with cancer.  It will include everything from the new vocab and starting on treatment to the end and it's emotional effects (whether the child survives or if sadly not).  Plus EVERYTHING in between.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #12: May 31, 2008, 11:41:17 PM »
Ok, that story sounds....interesting.  But I bet your friends had fun.  Sorry to hear it was lost.  What grade are you in?

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #13: May 31, 2008, 11:41:30 PM »
You have experience? =(

Offline kimnat

« Reply #14: May 31, 2008, 11:46:35 PM »
Yes, I do.  My 8 yo son (who broke my "a" key tonight :(  ) is a Hodgkin's Disease survivor.  That's a blood cancer in the lymphoma family.  We found the lump on his neck when he was 6, took 9 months to diagnosis.  He had part of it removed (the lump) just after he turned 7 and went through 4 months of chemo, quickly beating the disease.  He's still dealing with the emotional issues from it and now has strong ADHD problems.  But he's been a "spokesperson" for the National Capital Area Chapter of the Leukemia Lymphoma Society in their Pennies for Patients program.  He goes and talks to other kids, in schools that participate in this fundraiser, about what he went through and how their spare change can help him and others like him and help find a cure for blood cancers.  He's a very strong (and strong willed) boy!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #15: June 01, 2008, 12:10:22 AM »
I'm going to write a book for parents whose children have been diagnosed with cancer.  It will include everything from the new vocab and starting on treatment to the end and it's emotional effects (whether the child survives or if sadly not).  Plus EVERYTHING in between.

That's a book that needs to be written sometime.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #16: June 01, 2008, 12:20:27 AM »
He's an amazing kid...tough little guy.  Maybe being a cancer survivor at that age gets one a pass when it comes to well, anything.

Yes, I do.  My 8 yo son (who broke my "a" key tonight :(  ) is a Hodgkin's Disease survivor.  That's a blood cancer in the lymphoma family.  We found the lump on his neck when he was 6, took 9 months to diagnosis.  He had part of it removed (the lump) just after he turned 7 and went through 4 months of chemo, quickly beating the disease.  He's still dealing with the emotional issues from it and now has strong ADHD problems.  But he's been a "spokesperson" for the National Capital Area Chapter of the Leukemia Lymphoma Society in their Pennies for Patients program.  He goes and talks to other kids, in schools that participate in this fundraiser, about what he went through and how their spare change can help him and others like him and help find a cure for blood cancers.  He's a very strong (and strong willed) boy!

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #17: June 01, 2008, 10:21:03 AM »
Tough little kid. And we are in the grade: enough. [That is how I answer my math teacher when I slack off in class and he asks me like how many 5ths go into a pie with 31 pieces.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #18: June 01, 2008, 10:21:44 AM »
The whole family is a family of survivors!  Believe me, Cancer affects everyone, even the people not directly suffering from it!   :clap:

Glad Andrew's still doing well.   :thumbs:

Offline kimnat

« Reply #19: June 01, 2008, 11:26:59 AM »
Thanks, all of you.  Andrew has had a fun year.  He's now right at 18 months off treatment.  Minus the emotional and attention issues, he's a perfectly normal 8, almost 9, year old.  I was just talking to someone recently and finally felt able to use the word "normal".  After his treatment, I never thought I'd ever be able to use that word again!  But the cancer diagnosis no longer clouds over our daily existence.  It's definitely lingering in the background, but I don't worry about it's daily effects every day anymore.  He is fully vaccinated as of this past January.  And since that was 5 months ago, I feel safe in that regard.  And he gets timeouts, restrictions and spankings like any other kid would/does.  And believe, he truly gets his share.  Right now, it's laptop restriction! 

Our family is so blessed!  We're still learning about cancer stuff.  There's a parents class Tuesday night at the local Life w/ Cancer office in Fairfax.  They're having a person come in and talk to us about the emotional side effects for the child with cancer.  That's gonna be a huge help.  They'll talk about how play therapy can help.  To this day, he struggles when he sees a pic of a child in active treatment (bald and puffy faced).  He remembers it so well and think tries to forget about it.  So, I want to learn what he thinks and how it really affects him on a regular basis.  This will be an important chapter in my book, too (whenever it is written).  So many people forget about this side of cancer and just think that when it's gone, everything's ok, when those emotional demons are still wreaking havoc.  I often wonder how much of the bad behavior we see sometimes is controllable and uncontrollable.  Hopefully this course will help.  I will say the ADHD and depression meds truly help in this regard.  Which reminds me that I need to schedule an appt. w/ the neuropsych to have that testing redone and updated.

This is probably more information than all of you wanted, so thanks for indulging me and listening.  :)

Offline kimnat

« Reply #20: June 01, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »
That's a book that needs to be written sometime.

Yeah, I did a search on Amazon for such a book and none exists.  It will be a labor of love and a difficult book to write.  I'll definitely be praying for strength and wisdom enough to do it!

Offline blue911

« Reply #21: June 01, 2008, 11:42:16 AM »
Craigs list has jobs that you can sort by state. I don't know if that helps but it seems like something close to home is a consideration. A lot of times non-profits are looking for writers to help with grant writing,if you have any experience in that field.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #22: June 01, 2008, 12:03:49 PM »
You might want to contact non-profits like the lymphoma society.  Maybe they need writers from the parents point of view for their newsletters.  Not sure if they would pay you for it, but its an idea worth investigating.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #23: June 01, 2008, 12:21:33 PM »
You might want to contact non-profits like the lymphoma society.  Maybe they need writers from the parents point of view for their newsletters.  Not sure if they would pay you for it, but its an idea worth investigating.

Yeah, I've done that.  We're talking.
Craigs list has jobs that you can sort by state. I don't know if that helps but it seems like something close to home is a consideration. A lot of times non-profits are looking for writers to help with grant writing,if you have any experience in that field.

I've been keeping a close eye on those postings.  Some of the writing gigs are questionable or don't pay.  I've never done any grant writing, but want to talk to a couple of folks in the field to see what goes into it.

Thanks for the inputs!

Offline blue911

« Reply #24: June 01, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »
I was trying to think of PT jobs that can be done from home. Maybe now that gas is $4 a gallon some of the larger companies will start taking a serious look at  telecommuting.