Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 168256 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #700: December 26, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »
Have you been to the Dogfish Alehouse since it opened near your area ?

My wife would say I've scarcely been home.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #701: December 26, 2009, 11:05:31 AM »
Jesus Christ Terp = stay away from that God awful place !~  Your lips willcentricate and your tongue will morp into a sleezy hooker waiting to capture her next victim.  Your palate will be shot and you'll become a fan of Busweiser if you enter that house of whores known as Gordon Biersch

Too late................

Offline Dave B

« Reply #702: December 27, 2009, 12:54:42 AM »
just had a "smoked porter" by ithaca beer company. usually their stuff is good.  this was freaking disgusting. its rare that i dump something out.  this was the first smoked porter i ever saw. i dont know if it is some kind of new thing people think they should make. as i attempted to drink it, one was mentioned on a show i was watching. so apparently a company other than ithaca thinks this is a good idea.  i kind of ignored the "smoked" part because i figured why or how would/could beer taste like smoke.  it tastes like a chimney and what i think a slim jim tasted like when i tried one when i was like 7

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #703: December 27, 2009, 01:07:42 AM »
I've had a Stone Smoked Porter and it was excellent; granted chocolate, coffee, and smoke flavors in a beer is not for everyone but not that unusual if you like porters. I wouldn't expect the ithaca beer company to pull it off well; they have been quite mediocre in my experience. There is also supposed to be a high quality Alaskan smoked porter but I have never tried it.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #704: December 27, 2009, 01:25:24 AM »
My last experience with Ithaca Beer Company involved pool tables and last call (in Ithaca, FWIW), so I'll need to try everything I had that night again, but I do vaguely recall a "smoked" beer.

just had a "smoked porter" by ithaca beer company. usually their stuff is good.  this was freaking disgusting. its rare that i dump something out.  this was the first smoked porter i ever saw. i dont know if it is some kind of new thing people think they should make. as i attempted to drink it, one was mentioned on a show i was watching. so apparently a company other than ithaca thinks this is a good idea.  i kind of ignored the "smoked" part because i figured why or how would/could beer taste like smoke.  it tastes like a chimney and what i think a slim jim tasted like when i tried one when i was like 7

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #705: December 27, 2009, 09:05:36 AM »
I don't know about smoked porter, but Saranac Rauchbier is really good.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #706: December 30, 2009, 02:34:11 PM »
This group will appreciate this song.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #707: January 06, 2010, 07:47:16 AM »
At the beginning of last season, the Red Porch had Bell's Porter and Dogfish 90 minute on tap.  These two are a great black & tan combination.  It would be nice if the Red Porch had these again.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #708: January 06, 2010, 07:58:12 AM »
At the beginning of last season, the Red Porch had Bell's Porter and Dogfish 90 minute on tap.  These two are a great black & tan combination.  It would be nice if the Red Porch had these again.

:pray:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #709: January 06, 2010, 10:05:53 AM »
So Mathguy for some reason thinks I like "fruity" beer. But he loves Dogfish. Does the Raison D'Etre cause a conunudrum for him?

That stuff is delicious and 8% too.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #710: January 06, 2010, 10:06:57 AM »
I like Dogfish because of hoppy beer in the IPAs

So Mathguy for some reason thinks I like "fruity" beer. But he loves Dogfish. Does the Raison D'Etre cause a conunudrum for him?

That stuff is delicious and 8% too.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #711: January 06, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
I like Dogfish because of hoppy beer in the IPAs

You dodged the question sir. The Raison has raisins in it.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #712: January 06, 2010, 11:15:37 AM »
I didn't dodge anything.  And don't call me sir !

I just don't care about the Raison D'etre

You dodged the question sir. The Raison has raisins in it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #713: January 06, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »
I just don't care about the Raison D'etre

I have quite an affinity for the Raison D'etre, downed one of them just this past Sunday over at the Chantilly dispensary, following a Midas Touch.

I remain a huge fan of the Palo Santo Marron of course, and nothing beats a cool spring evening in the Red Loft like a 90 minute IPA.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #714: January 06, 2010, 06:05:44 PM »
I went nuts and bought almost all the winter beers in the case the other day. Magic Hat Howl (?), Fordham Scotch Ale, Winter Hook.  I like them all.  I'm still trying to figure out the scotch one though. It tasted different the two times I had it

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #715: January 06, 2010, 06:36:47 PM »
I went nuts and bought almost all the winter beers in the case the other day. Magic Hat Howl (?), Fordham Scotch Ale, Winter Hook.  I like them all.  I'm still trying to figure out the scotch one though. It tasted different the two times I had it

Sam Adams makes a Scotch Ale that is an incredible beer, but lately has only been available in an assortment pack.  But if that is representive of the genre, bring it on.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #716: January 06, 2010, 06:39:02 PM »
Sam Adams makes a Scotch Ale that is an incredible beer, but lately has only been available in an assortment pack.  But if that is representive of the genre, bring it on.

The other brands that I have had were super delicious as well. I had one at a beer festival that was can only.

http://www.oskarblues.com/the-brews/old-chub

The locator says you can get it in Arlington, Springfield, Georgetown, and a few other places.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #717: January 06, 2010, 06:46:56 PM »
The other brands that I have had were super delicious as well. I had one at a beer festival that was can only.

The locator says you can get it in Arlington, Springfield, Georgetown, and a few other places.

I think I've seen it at the Pug on H St. They definitely have Dale's pale ale there. Not sure if the Old Chub has been rotated out. Might have to run out and check.

Edit. Aw man. It says it is smoky. Still trying to come to terms with that. I've been able to drink a couple of the Ithaca smoke deals i bought after i adjusted my expectations

• babble on
« Reply #718: January 06, 2010, 07:08:42 PM »
Whole Foods on Wisconsin Ave in Glover Park has it...so does Sherry's Liquors at Connecticut Ave and Calvert St (by the Woodley Park Metro).

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #719: January 08, 2010, 09:12:40 AM »
Is he a good nut or a bad nut ?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #720: January 08, 2010, 09:37:03 AM »

Saranac Single malt is also great

for some reason I've been drinking more belgian style beers this winter

• babble on
« Reply #721: January 08, 2010, 11:24:15 AM »
Bell's Winter White is tasty...and Petesapizza in Columbia Heights has it for $2.50/pint from 4-6:30 on weekdays.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #722: January 11, 2010, 07:19:10 PM »
Tried to find Old Chubb Scottish Ale at a store I was sure would have it and failed. Got some Guinness 250th Anniv. Stout though. :woop: It's actually imported from Ireland :shock:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #723: January 11, 2010, 07:21:42 PM »
Tried to find Old Chubb Scottish Ale at a store I was sure would have it and failed. Got some Guinness 250th Anniv. Stout though. :woop: It's actually imported from Ireland :shock:

I've found Old Chubb before at Total Wine in Chantilly.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #724: January 11, 2010, 07:24:19 PM »
I've found Old Chubb before at Total Wine in Chantilly.

I passed a total wine the other day and my increasingly pregnant wife for some reason didn't want to stop :lmao: I knew they had it there, too. I'm pretty happy with the limited edition Guinness for now.