Author Topic: Transferring Colleges Help!  (Read 2609 times)

Offline LeonidasNats311

Transferring Colleges Help!
« Topic Start: January 03, 2008, 11:31:12 PM »
As some of you know I am enrolled at Frostburg State University. I however have come to the conclusion that Frostburg is a small school with nothing around it. Thus, leading me to want to attend WVU. Frostburg has a small campus, terrible football team and beer. WV has good D1 sports teams, OK sized campus, a decent sized city-Morgantown and beer. While both of these have beer and that WVU is currently the #1 party school, I think I would drink less at WVU due to football and basketball games. However, I have a dilemma. I only have 25 credits as 6 dount count towards my gpa. Would you suggest I take 2 more classes spring semester, leaving me with 21 credits or take 1 more class this semester and one online this summer, or 2 online during the summer? PLEASE HELP! I am trying to go to WVU this fall.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Transferring Colleges Help!
« Reply #1: January 03, 2008, 11:42:48 PM »
My vote is go to the place with a town...strange critters who resemble blind albino mexican cave fish tend to graduate from schools with a small, isolated campus (with the obvious exception of CALSGR8).

Offline LeonidasNats311

« Reply #2: January 03, 2008, 11:45:43 PM »
My vote is go to the place with a town...strange critters who resemble blind albino mexican cave fish tend to graduate from schools with a small, isolated campus (with the obvious exception of CALSGR8).

huh? :?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3: January 04, 2008, 12:06:00 AM »
Schools in towns or cities are more likely to allow for mixing with people who aren't just like oneself, which I personally value.  Others prefer the opposite.  Sorry, the oblique Mexican cave fish reference was just something that came to mind...these are rather inbred little white fish who exist in small, isolated colonies in subterranean caves.  I saw some while wandering through the zoo, so the image popped into my head. 

WVU probably has better academics, which certain circles would regard as important. 

huh? :?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #4: January 04, 2008, 05:02:12 AM »

WVU probably has better academics, which certain circles would regard as important. 

I went to a small school in Ohio.  That's what Ali is referring to.

Uh, yeah, Is there a particular program you're in?  Mine was teaching at the time and I wanted to go to a place where I was treated like a person instead of a number.  Hiram had a great teaching program but horrible in sports.

If you want to transfer someplace, go to a place that has the program you're trying to get your degree in, then look at cities, football team, etc.  I think its better to transfer at the beginning of the school year (September) rather than midyear myself.

By all means, visit the campus.  See the city near by and see if it has those features you're interested in.  Like how far is it from a professional baseball team?  ;)

natsfan1a

« Reply #5: January 04, 2008, 08:09:57 AM »
I can't decide whether or not this is a jocular inquiry as I don't recall whether you are old enough to drink and I'm also wondering why you would address questions about such a major decision to fan forum members who have no knowledge of your educational goals rather than to your parents (who could be footing the bill) and your guidance counselor?

If you are serious, as calsgr8 noted, I'd look at factors like academic programs and costs before looking at location, beer quality, and football team record (unless, perhaps, you have a football scholarship). If you're not serious, ha-ha, very funny. :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #6: January 04, 2008, 08:40:32 AM »
For most of us, there's a lot more of life after college than during it. Pick the school that will give you the best education in your area of interest.

College is fun, but so is life after college - and it can be rewarding, too. Best to get prepared for that.

P.S. It sounds like you are unhappy at Frostburg. Take that into consideration.

As some of you know I am enrolled at Frostburg State University. I however have come to the conclusion that Frostburg is a small school with nothing around it. Thus, leading me to want to attend WVU. Frostburg has a small campus, terrible football team and beer. WV has good D1 sports teams, OK sized campus, a decent sized city-Morgantown and beer. While both of these have beer and that WVU is currently the #1 party school, I think I would drink less at WVU due to football and basketball games. However, I have a dilemma. I only have 25 credits as 6 dount count towards my gpa. Would you suggest I take 2 more classes spring semester, leaving me with 21 credits or take 1 more class this semester and one online this summer, or 2 online during the summer? PLEASE HELP! I am trying to go to WVU this fall.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #7: January 04, 2008, 09:12:09 AM »
For most of us, there's a lot more of life after college than during it. Pick the school that will give you the best education in your area of interest.

College is fun, but so is life after college - and it can be rewarding, too. Best to get prepared for that.

P.S. It sounds like you are unhappy at Frostburg. Take that into consideration.

Great advice Gburg   :clap:

Offline LeonidasNats311

« Reply #8: January 04, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »
I am not looking for better alcohol. I am stating that Frostburg as a whole doesnt have anything outside of the college to go to like WVU and Morgantown do. I am looking to go to a school where they have more things to do that do not include just drinking. Frostburg is basically a town that just has frats and parties nothing around it allows you to go out and do other stuff. WVU has alot of things in Morgantown and the teams there actually have more home games then away. Also I would get a degree in sports management and hopefully work with the nationals, redskins, or caps.

And I am trying to transfer after this up and coming semester which would be by the next school year.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #9: January 04, 2008, 11:24:46 AM »
I only have 25 credits as 6 dount count towards my gpa.

I assume the credits that dount count involve English.

Transfers often mean loss of college credit, if the new school will not accept the courses taken at the old school.  Meet with someone at WVU, preferably the dean of sports management (who hopefully can read), and ask what will transfer and what won't.  Ask if the courses that you want to take now will transfer, so you don't waste your time and money on them. 

A lot more people will have heard of WVA than Frostburg, especially for a degree in sports management. Good luck getting a job someday that actually pays something, since all sorts of organizations perpetually use "interns", who are nothing more than slave labor, working for free.

What brands of beer do they have at WVA and Frostburg?  How often are police raids conducted for under-age drinking, and are the under-agers prosecuted, at each college?

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: January 04, 2008, 11:38:27 AM »
Thanks for clarifying. I'd taken "terrible" as qualifying both the football team and the beer in "Frostburg has a small campus, terrible football team and beer." I still think that it would be a good idea for you to consult with your guidance counselor about which credits to take and when. They would be in a better position to give advice in that regard than we would. n2p's advice on that is excellent, IMO.

I am not looking for better alcohol. I am stating that Frostburg as a whole doesnt have anything outside of the college to go to like WVU and Morgantown do. I am looking to go to a school where they have more things to do that do not include just drinking. Frostburg is basically a town that just has frats and parties nothing around it allows you to go out and do other stuff. WVU has alot of things in Morgantown and the teams there actually have more home games then away. Also I would get a degree in sports management and hopefully work with the nationals, redskins, or caps.

And I am trying to transfer after this up and coming semester which would be by the next school year.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: January 04, 2008, 12:22:24 PM »
I assume the credits that dount count involve English.

:rofl:

How often are police raids conducted for under-age drinking, and are the under-agers prosecuted, at each college?

I can in all honesty say that when attending the University of Maryland, I never once drank any alcohol  :glug:while under age, not once.   :nono:  (of course, the drinking age was 18, but that's not pertinent)

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

This photo speaks for itself.   :worship:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #12: January 04, 2008, 12:25:47 PM »
Of course, how much help is a counselor at Frostburg going to be if you want to leave the school?

There was a lot more information in that second post. Are there schools that have degrees in sports management? If, not are you thinking business or law? Are there any sports management people that you can talk to that can tell you how it works, or is there a sports management professional association?

My guess is that you're trying to break into a tough field, so you'll need all the arrows in your quiver that you can possibly amass. Start looking now at internships, what the best professional path is, try to network with people who might already be in the field, etc. There's a reason a field like this will be hard to break into - it's someplace a lot of folks want to be. Go after it, but think and research and plan before you take another step that might not get you towards your goal.

And remember this sage advice when you're in a position to comp tickets to your buds. :)

Thanks for clarifying. I'd taken "terrible" as qualifying both the football team and the beer in "Frostburg has a small campus, terrible football team and beer." I still think that it would be a good idea for you to consult with your guidance counselor about which credits to take and when. They would be in a better position to give advice in that regard than we would. n2p's advice on that is excellent, IMO.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #13: January 04, 2008, 01:58:22 PM »
Go to a college close enough and one of these internships may not be too bad:

http://www.ripkenbaseball.com/internships/

Offline LeonidasNats311

« Reply #14: January 04, 2008, 02:37:17 PM »
Go to a college close enough and one of these internships may not be too bad:

http://www.ripkenbaseball.com/internships/

Thanks for that link!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #15: January 04, 2008, 03:17:50 PM »
Another site to look at is Professional Baseball Employment Opportunities (www.pbeo.com).  They have all the listings for all the minor league teams with all sorts of jobs.  Most provide room and board along with a small salary.  You can subscribe for $50/year and they will send you e-mail updates as jobs become available.  The updates are pretty frequent, and will be picking up again in the next few months.  The jobs range from clubhouse attendants, equipment managers, travel managers, scorers, stat stringers, etc.

Another thing that might be interesting is to attend MLB scout school, which is required for all MLB scouts.  It's a 10-day school, and you can call MLB Scouting Bureau at (909) 980-1881 for more info. 

Offline saltydad

« Reply #16: January 04, 2008, 03:39:45 PM »
This is an interesting site for that field:

http://personal.bgsu.edu/~jparks/ExSport/index.html

Plus this is a professional association:

http://www.nassm.com/InfoAbout/SportMgmtPrograms

I transfered colleges after my sophomore year. It was a VERY trying experience. The process involves 1. deciding which schoool(s), 2. applying, 3. applying for financial aid. In my case it boiled down to which school gave a better money package, as I only applied to schools I wanted to attend. Good luck.

I'm also trying to remember; I think there is a friend of a family member who is in that field. If I can remember who, I'll PM you with the info so you can contact him.

Offline LeonidasNats311

« Reply #17: January 04, 2008, 03:49:17 PM »
Thanks for everyones help!

natsfan1a

« Reply #18: January 04, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »
Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing!

Offline LeonidasNats311

« Reply #19: January 04, 2008, 03:57:28 PM »
I will definately do that. I find this board a lot more friendly than other team messageboards.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #20: January 04, 2008, 04:06:13 PM »
I will definately do that. I find this board a lot more friendly than other team messageboards.

We're all just a group of wild and crazy guys. :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: January 04, 2008, 04:22:42 PM »
If I were "stuck" in Frostburg, I'd take up outdoor recreation in a big way.  Skiing (both downhill (Wisp) and cross country (New Germany)); biking (the Cumberland - Pittsburgh trail in the vicinity of Frostburg is reputed to be excellent); kayaking (Yough, Savage, Casselman, Potomac); trout fishing (Savage, Casselman, North Branch Potomac) are a few of the things that spring to mind.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #22: January 04, 2008, 04:24:59 PM »
If I were "stuck" in Frostburg, I'd take up outdoor recreation in a big way.  Skiing (both downhill (Wisp) and cross country (New Germany)); biking (the Cumberland - Pittsburgh trail in the vicinity of Frostburg is reputed to be excellent); kayaking (Yough, Savage, Casselman, Potomac); trout fishing (Savage, Casselman, North Branch Potomac) are a few of the things that spring to mind.

The fishing sounds great!

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #23: January 04, 2008, 04:30:06 PM »
When you meet with the sports management/head of dept dean at WVU, bring the Frostburg course catalog, so that he or she can see a description of what each course is teaching.  The same course name may have dramatically different contents at each school.  For example, a sports hygiene course at Frostburg might involve "dressing injuries", while at West Virginia University it could involve "how to operate and maintain an outhouse", or what to do with empty beer bottles...

There was a time when a transfer student often lost a year's worth of college credit.  I went to a community college and met with the dean at my four-year college early in my freshman year.  He told me what would transfer and what would not.  I got full transfer credit for everything I took.  (At the time, George Mason University and the University of Maryland were both very harsh about accepting transfer credits.  Maryland required that you take all courses in your major there.)  There might be a conversion, if the two colleges don't use the same hour-system (semester hours vs. quarter hours or some hybrid method.  Three quarter-hour courses should equate to two semester-hour semesters, if the hours are standard.)  One quarter-hour course will not convert to one semester-hour course.

Any college student should see if their school accepts credits through the College Level Achievement Program (CLEP.)  SEE:  http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html  You take a test for a few hours (at various centers that offer them) and get college credit for passing.  Think of the tuition, books and fees for two semesters of American History.  Then think of all the reading assignments, BORING lectures, brown-nosing idiot teachers, studying for and taking tests, and writing essays.  You would NOT have to deal with all that, if your school grants CLEP test credit and you pass.  If WVU doesn't accept CLEP tests in particular subjects, they won't transfer from Frostburg.  (Be sure that you tell that it's a CLEP test, and not a CLAP test.)  Each college should have a list of CLEP tests they accept, if any. 

I'm not sure if this helps, but it might help or hurt you to tell the admissions officer at WVU that your mother is also your first cousin, once removed.

Offline LeonidasNats311

« Reply #24: January 04, 2008, 04:38:35 PM »
I am only taking my General classes and most of them transfer over. I have already checked on the wvu website.

I'm not sure if this helps, but it might help or hurt you to tell the admissions officer at WVU that your mother is also your first cousin, once removed.

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

That is not my family. Sorry.