Author Topic: Anti-Washington Post Billboards - anyone seen em?  (Read 2735 times)

MrMadison

Anti-Washington Post Billboards - anyone seen em?
« Topic Start: December 31, 2007, 12:22:33 PM »
http://www.washingtonpostunfair.com/

when i got off the train to go to work this morning, the metro station was absolutely tattooed with billboards for this site.  i mean, damn near every billboard in the place was an ad for this site.

Offline kimnat

Re: Anti-Washington Post Billboards - anyone seen em?
« Reply #1: December 31, 2007, 12:33:49 PM »
Well, seems to be in keeping w/ the newspaper itself.  Living larger than life w/o a care about the little guys.  Yep, that sounds like the Wapo.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: December 31, 2007, 12:35:10 PM »
The Post is not as successful as people think. They're losing circulation every year.

But still, a disturbing site. Had no idea the Post was dirty like this...but I can see it. The main people I met who run the paper seemed like jerk-offs.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #3: December 31, 2007, 01:05:24 PM »
Newspapers are dying.  People go to the internet for news more and more.  And the more the papers stay out of touch w/ mainstream America, the more their circulation will die.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #4: December 31, 2007, 01:11:57 PM »
It sounds like any other dying business. You stop paying the people that do the least for you. The Post might even have it in their plans to get rid of all the production workers and start charging for online supscriptions. The Post has always had a reputation for being a little elitist so it doesn't suprise me that they are that way in business practices as well.

MrMadison

« Reply #5: December 31, 2007, 01:24:02 PM »
The Post might even have it in their plans to get rid of all the production workers and start charging for online supscriptions.

that's the day i stop reading Svrluga.

unless the Post can give me something completely exclusive that i can't get anywhere else.

« Reply #6: December 31, 2007, 01:28:25 PM »
Maybe if they ran classic "Calvin and Hobbs" comics.....

natsfan1a

« Reply #7: December 31, 2007, 01:29:49 PM »
We'll all not be reading Svrluga next year, as he'll be covering the olympics rather than acting as Nats beat writer for another year (I believed that they had planned for the rotation to take place that way from the start).

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #8: December 31, 2007, 01:30:48 PM »
I agree with your prognosis, but not with the reasoning...just like "video killed the radio star," printed media are losing ground to electronic media across the board, and nowhere is this more true than with daily newspapers.  Compounding this is the ad-driven nature of the newspaper business, where a relatively small drop in circulation has a disproportionately large 'crack-the-whip' effect on revenues.  You might not agree with the editorial slant in the WaPost (just a hunch), but similar or greater drops in circulation have affected papers like the WSJ and Los Angeles Times, both of which are right of Atilla the Hun.       

Newspapers are dying.  People go to the internet for news more and more.  And the more the papers stay out of touch w/ mainstream America, the more their circulation will die.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #9: December 31, 2007, 01:33:31 PM »
And where does most of the good information on the internet come from? From writers employed by newspapers.  :?

Good researchers and writers aren't going to do their work for free. You like that guy that writes on the Nats for MLB? Ugh.

that's the day i stop reading Svrluga.

unless the Post can give me something completely exclusive that i can't get anywhere else.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Dirty?

IBM withdrew from pensions years ago. Lockheed Martin stopped offering them to its new employees several years ago. Most workers in this country no longer get pensions.

This sounds like every other corporation in America. The Post is a business. It needs to make money or it won't be in business.

Sounds completely run-of-the-mill to me.

And it's not like we know that the guys running that site have cornered the market on honesty. It's just another agenda-driven web site run for reasons of self interest.

The Post is not as successful as people think. They're losing circulation every year.

But still, a disturbing site. Had no idea the Post was dirty like this...but I can see it. The main people I met who run the paper seemed like jerk-offs.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
I still get my Wash Post every day.  Why?  Because I can take the paper into McDonalds or the subway while waiting for a train, or waiting in line to get into NATS Park  ;).  Sometimes you can't carry a computer every where you go.  Cell Phones don't have big enough a screen.

natsfan1a

I do, too. I do read other papers online.

No more newspapers?  No more newsprint?  How the hell are we supposed to get a quick high then?!

Offline GburgNatsFan

It's the cheapest way to buy stuff to get the wood stove going, too.

No more newspapers?  No more newsprint?  How the hell are we supposed to get a quick high then?!

Offline kimnat

Maybe if they ran classic "Calvin and Hobbs" comics.....

Here, here!!!  That's mine and Andrew's FAVORITE!
I agree with your prognosis, but not with the reasoning...just like "video killed the radio star," printed media are losing ground to electronic media across the board, and nowhere is this more true than with daily newspapers.  Compounding this is the ad-driven nature of the newspaper business, where a relatively small drop in circulation has a disproportionately large 'crack-the-whip' effect on revenues.  You might not agree with the editorial slant in the WaPost (just a hunch), but similar or greater drops in circulation have affected papers like the WSJ and Los Angeles Times, both of which are right of Atilla the Hun.       

I'm not saying the "out of touch" thing is the only reason for the drop in numbers, but I think it's a contributing factor.  But otherwise, I agree with you.

Offline CALSGR8

I'm not saying the "out of touch" thing is the only reason for the drop in numbers, but I think it's a contributing factor.  But otherwise, I agree with you.

I'm sure the Internet is a big factor for many papers.

By the way.  Here's a link you might be interested in:

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/

nospinzone1

THANK YOU, MR. MADISON FOR BRINGING IT TO OUR ATTENTION. THIS IS NOTHING NEW. I STARTED WORKING AT THE POST IN 1968 AND RIGHT AWAY IT WAS OBVCIOUS THAT SINCE PHIL GRAHAM AND THE OLD MAN MEYER DIED THE NEW BLOOD WAS GOING TO MAKE IT MISERABLE FOR THE PEOPLE THAT HELPED THEM MAKE THEIR FORTUNE. AND TO CROWN THEIR GREED NOW SOMEBODY GOT TO PAY FOR THE DONALD'S FRIENDLY DIVORCE SETTLEMENT./b]

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!

The C&H snow art collection in all its glory. Always worth a shovel of laughs this time of year.

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/zzaran/calvin.html

Offline kimnat

The C&H snow art collection in all it's glory. Always worth a shovel of laughs this time of year.

Those are hilarious!!!  Andrew's playing right now, but I'll pull it up for him later!  I swear, he is MY Calvin!  One of my favorites is when Calvin is banging a bunch of nails into the coffee table and his mom screams at him "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!!"  He just looks at her and calmly replies, "Is this a trick questio or what?"  One of Andrew's favorites is when Calvin goes outside and it's FREEZING.  he stands there and rubs his nose and looks at you funny then says, "Don't you hate it when your boogers freeze?"  The child laughs like a loon every time!

natsfan1a

That was a great strip! Seriously, that's one of the ways that we calibrate cold in our household -- there's cold, and then there's BF cold... :lol:

Offline kimnat

That was a great strip! Seriously, that's one of the ways that we calibrate cold in our household -- there's cold, and then there's BF cold... :lol:

LOL  BF cold  LOL  That's really funny!!!

Offline CALSGR8

Those are hilarious!!!  Andrew's playing right now, but I'll pull it up for him later!  I swear, he is MY Calvin!  One of my favorites is when Calvin is banging a bunch of nails into the coffee table and his mom screams at him "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!!"  He just looks at her and calmly replies, "Is this a trick questio or what?"  One of Andrew's favorites is when Calvin goes outside and it's FREEZING.  he stands there and rubs his nose and looks at you funny then says, "Don't you hate it when your boogers freeze?"  The child laughs like a loon every time!

Kim, I wont start worrying about Andrew unless he starts building his snowmen really weird!

Offline CALSGR8

If he starts making his snowmen like this, get him help immediately!   :rofl: :lol:

Offline kimnat

Those are hilarious!