Author Topic: Baltimore Has Had Three Major League Incarnations  (Read 995 times)

I've been doing research for a book I am writing about baseball and the DC phenomenon when I came across the "Richmond Virginians", a minor league international team.  Upon doing further digging, I was shocked to find that the Baltimore Orioles have folded, been relocated (to NY to become who we now know as the New York Yankees), and then the St. Louis Browns came to Baltimore and became the team we know today.

Fascinating stuff I didn't know before and strangely is kept out of all arguments that some O's fans make when they try to say "DC isn't a baseball town."

Stole some minor stuff here from Wikipedia to show and tell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Orioles_%28minor_league%29

First Major League Team

The first Orioles team was founded in 1882, and played in the American Association (then a major league) and the National League until 1899. This team was one of the most successul and colorful in baseball history, winning three straight pennants (1894-1896) and featuring a number of Hall-of-Famers including John McGraw, Hughie Jennings, and Wee Willie Keeler.

After the 1898 season, manager Ned Hanlon and most of the team's best players jumped to the Brooklyn Dodgers. The Baltimore team folded after the 1899 season.

Second Major League Team

Another Orioles team became a charter member of the American League in 1901. After the 1902 season, the Orioles franchise was shifted to New York City and renamed the New York Highlanders, which later became the New York Yankees.

Third Major League Team

After the 1953 season, the St. Louis Browns moved to Baltimore and took the name of the Baltimore Orioles. The later minor league Orioles team re-located to Richmond (as had the earlier Orioles team) as the Virginians from 1954-64, have been today's Toledo Mud Hens franchise since 1965.

Going to have to dig deeper some when I get the chance.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Wee Willie Keeler is one of my favorite old-timey players. I love his exploitation of the foul rules! However, if he was Oriole, my respect decreases.

Offline blue911

You are forgetting the Baltimore Terrapins of the Federal League (1914-15).

Offline saltydad

And the Redskins used to be the Boston Braves!

Offline kimnat

I've been doing research for a book I am writing about baseball and the DC phenomenon when I came across the "Richmond Virginians", a minor league international team.  Upon doing further digging, I was shocked to find that the Baltimore Orioles have folded, been relocated (to NY to become who we now know as the New York Yankees), and then the St. Louis Browns came to Baltimore and became the team we know today.

Fascinating stuff I didn't know before and strangely is kept out of all arguments that some O's fans make when they try to say "DC isn't a baseball town."

Stole some minor stuff here from Wikipedia to show and tell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Orioles_%28minor_league%29

Going to have to dig deeper some when I get the chance.

WOW!!  That's super interesting!  No wonder they hate the Yankees so much.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
You are forgetting the Baltimore Terrapins of the Federal League (1914-15).

How dare they desecrate that holy name!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
I think 'Terrapins' became the official nickname of the Maryland varsity teams in 1933 or thereabouts (prior to that they were the Old Liners, after one of the state's nicknames). The diamondback terrapin is indigenous to the Maryland coasts and has a long association with the state.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Here is a post I put in later than this one.

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,4660.0.html

You might want to contact a SABR chapter to help you.

If Baltimore can have 3 teams and retain their history, why can't we?

arkymark

I always thought that's the reason that when you go to a Yankees game at Camden the vast majority of the fans are Yankees fans -- they remember that 1901 team.  I don't know why the same thing happens when the BoSox are in town.  Did anyone see that game yesterday?  I think there were about 10 O's fans there.  Hope McPhail can turn around that mess so we can have a real rivalry with them.  Otherwise, in 3 years, it will be all Nats fans for the interleague series.