Author Topic: Ted still wants to buy the Nats  (Read 472 times)

Offline OfftheBat

Re: Ted still wants to buy the Nats
« Reply #25: May 15, 2024, 11:53:05 AM »
I'm not a fan of the other DC teams, but I would probably take Leonsis over Mini Me, unless you like an owner who breaks his nose shagging flies in the OF for no good reason.

I see... why are others here thinking that Bezos could be a realistic option for a new owner? Is it because of his opening of Amazon's second HQ in Arlington?

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #26: May 15, 2024, 11:53:39 AM »
You need a guy rich enough to view a team as a pissing contest not an investment. Ted is not that level of rich

Haha, that's a great way of putting it. Not many guys qualify I guess....

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #27: May 15, 2024, 12:55:08 PM »

I see... why are others here thinking that Bezos could be a realistic option for a new owner? Is it because of his opening of Amazon's second HQ in Arlington?

He owns the WaPo, right?

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #28: May 15, 2024, 12:58:47 PM »
He owns the WaPo, right?

He does own the WaPo so he's not that far removed from things in DC.

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #29: May 16, 2024, 01:14:08 PM »
He owns the WaPo, right?

I didn't even know that, that's crazy :o

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #30: May 16, 2024, 02:37:26 PM »
And Bezos was interested in buying the Redskins/WFT/Commanders, but little dan snyder refused even to negotiate with him on grounds that the Post had found mean and nasty things about the poisonous way that Snyder ran the team.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #31: May 16, 2024, 02:48:05 PM »
In general, the Old Nationals fell because the Griffith family had no money except what they made from the team, and from renting Griffith Stadium to George Preston Marshall and the Redskins. Connie Mack had the same trouble with the A's, and Bill Veeck had to sell the Browns to the millionaires from Baltimore. By the early '50s, a team needed an expensive farm system. Later, the great Bill Veeck was forced out of baseball because he could not afford to keep up in free agency.

Leonsis would be a poor-man owner. It looks like his main income is from the Caps and his network.

The Nats would suffer. Looks like a Leonsis-owned Nats would behave like a small-market team. The Old Senators and the Expansion Senators show what that is like.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #32: May 16, 2024, 02:59:47 PM »
The Old Senators and the Expansion Senators show what that is like.

MLB should of never allowed Bob Short to buy the Senators. He wasn't even close to having enough money to buy a MLB team. Borrowed big time.

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #33: May 16, 2024, 03:20:50 PM »
MLB should of never allowed Bob Short to buy the Senators. He wasn't even close to having enough money to buy a MLB team. Borrowed big time.

Seems like they didn't stop after the Short years... They kept allowing shady/horrible owners to buy teams in the 90's & 2000's.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #34: May 16, 2024, 03:35:44 PM »
In general, the Old Nationals fell because the Griffith family had no money except what they made from the team, and from renting Griffith Stadium to George Preston Marshall and the Redskins. Connie Mack had the same trouble with the A's, and Bill Veeck had to sell the Browns to the millionaires from Baltimore. By the early '50s, a team needed an expensive farm system. Later, the great Bill Veeck was forced out of baseball because he could not afford to keep up in free agency.

Leonsis would be a poor-man owner. It looks like his main income is from the Caps and his network.

The Nats would suffer. Looks like a Leonsis-owned Nats would behave like a small-market team. The Old Senators and the Expansion Senators show what that is like.
I am a bit worried about the future on Monumental is either going public or selling out to a foreign sovereign wealth fund. I'm not sure either option would be ideal ownership structures.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #35: May 16, 2024, 03:39:40 PM »
I am a bit worried about the future on Monumental is either going public or selling out to a foreign sovereign wealth fund. I'm not sure either option would be ideal ownership structures.
sovereign wealth funds have been pretty successful in soccer ownership, I think. I think the investors in Monumental are looking at it as an American presence in DC and less in search of a big financial killing.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #36: May 16, 2024, 05:17:58 PM »

Seems like they didn't stop after the Short years... They kept allowing shady/horrible owners to buy teams in the 90's & 2000's.

If there had been competent ownership in Montreal they would of never left. This from Society For American Baseball Research (SABR):

" Shifting ownership doomed the franchise, regardless of whether the owner was Charles Bronfman (1968-91) with his family fortune, Claude Brochu (1991-99) with his executive experience, or Jeffrey Loria (1999-2002) with his flair, or even Major League Baseball itself (2002-04) with its dictate to play about one-fourth of each season’s “home” games in San Juan, Puerto Rico, for two years."

I think especially Loria had no business owning the team.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: May 16, 2024, 05:39:31 PM »

Monumental going public would be hilarious. How much is an RSN with two crappy teams in an apathetic market worth?

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #38: May 17, 2024, 10:55:29 AM »
If there had been competent ownership in Montreal they would of never left. This from Society For American Baseball Research (SABR):

" Shifting ownership doomed the franchise, regardless of whether the owner was Charles Bronfman (1968-91) with his family fortune, Claude Brochu (1991-99) with his executive experience, or Jeffrey Loria (1999-2002) with his flair, or even Major League Baseball itself (2002-04) with its dictate to play about one-fourth of each season’s “home” games in San Juan, Puerto Rico, for two years."

I think especially Loria had no business owning the team.

True, Loria & Brochu were horrible owners. I have great respect for Bronfman though, without him I would have never became a baseball fan in the first place  :mg: