Author Topic: Washington/Baltimore Owners  (Read 862 times)

Offline Senatorswin

Re: Washington/Baltimore Owners
« Reply #25: April 01, 2024, 10:50:54 PM »
I was at the game tonight and it being the home opener everybody was introduced before the game. I knew Finnegan would get a nice reception even after yesterdays fiasco because that's the way Nats fans are. Rarely does a Nat get booed at home. Also, if you're a fan of the other team you can wear their stuff and not worry about getting grief like you would in Philly and other places.

Offline IanRubbish

• Mike Rizzo...putting the "me" in mediocre baseball
« Reply #26: April 02, 2024, 12:52:56 AM »
Also, if you're a fan of the other team you can wear their stuff and not worry about getting grief like you would in Philly and other places.

That's because of the transient nature of the fanbase, which is also part of the problem.  I was at Nats @ LAA a couple years ago and a thoughtful Angel fan asked me how DC teams retained fans with so many people from elsewhere moving in.  The visiting fan takeover is worst in DC and with the Orioles. 

SF fans are more like DC fans in terms of being tolerant of other teams fans, but influenced by the tech industry, there's an expectation of innovation and forward thinking like the Warriors three point strategy, Niners West Coast offense, A's Moneyball, and not being copycats like the Snyderskins were.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #27: April 04, 2024, 11:07:28 AM »
Maybe that was cultivated when their team had the benefit when they started their run of success of being in a division with rarely any serious competition as follow as Super Bowl contenders in the division, while the NFC East will be busy beating other team into a pulp before the playoffs.

This is as baseless as it is poorly written.  You don't get to the Super Bowl merely by beating teams in your own division, and those Niners teams of the 80s/early 90s had to beat the likes of the Giants/Redskins/Bears on many occasions to win the NFC.  Also, they went up against the Rams in the '89 NFC title game and steamrolled them because the '89 Niners were just that much better than everyone else.  But sure, create some weird revisionist fiction about how they only won anything because they played in a weak division.  People have been doing the same thing lately re: Brady's Patriots, and it's equally clownish.  Good way to weed out football "fans" who have no idea what they're talking about.