Author Topic: Will the Real Joey Meneses Please Stand Up? (2024)  (Read 912 times)

Offline nobleisthyname

Nope. The magic ran out. Fully okay with DFAing him.

Wouldn't even have to, he still has options.

Offline IanRubbish

He's playing because and batting in the top half of the order because there aren't right options to balance the lefty bats on this team.

That might be the worst argument I've heard for playing him.  You can get the same thing from Carter Kieboom playing 1B or DH and at least he'll walk and get on base a little more frequently.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Great run. Good value. Time to drop him to Rochester or cut.

Offline Five Banners

Great run. Good value. Time to drop him to Rochester or cut.

Seems worth a chance to reboot in the minors

Offline IanRubbish

Seems worth a chance to reboot in the minors

Might be the right thing to do, but doubt they'll do that.   

Offline Count Walewski

What's the downside of keeping fan favorite Joey Meneses up? What prospect is he blocking? What deep playoff run is he preventing? It's fun when he gets a big hit against a much better team.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
What's the downside of keeping fan favorite Joey Meneses up? What prospect is he blocking? What deep playoff run is he preventing? It's fun when he gets a big hit against a much better team.

If you cut Meneses you could call up Millas to be the everyday catcher and platoon Ruiz and Adams at DH. Or give Blankenhorn a shot.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'm all for giving Blankenhorn a shot at some point, but this team is desperate for righty bats.

Meneses could be optioned to Rochester. Regardles of where he is, what he probably needs most is some work on elevating the ball. His exit velo is not bad, right around MLB average, but his launch angle is 7.9% vs MLB average of 13%. his hard hit % is slightly above average, but he is killing a lot of worms with 50 GB% (vs MLB average of 42.7%). He hits up the middle, just as Davey likes, but that's the hardest spot to put one out when he does get it in the air.  A guy with 60 wRC+ should not be hitting 3rd or 4th in an effective line up. But the Nats . . .

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I'm all for giving Blankenhorn a shot at some point, but this team is desperate for righty bats.

Meneses could be optioned to Rochester. Regardles of where he is, what he probably needs most is some work on elevating the ball. His exit velo is not bad, right around MLB average, but his launch angle is 7.9% vs MLB average of 13%. his hard hit % is slightly above average, but he is killing a lot of worms with 50 GB% (vs MLB average of 42.7%). He hits up the middle, just as Davey likes, but that's the hardest spot to put one out when he does get it in the air.  A guy with 60 wRC+ should not be hitting 3rd or 4th in an effective line up. But the Nats . . .

Persuasive argument. Let Meneses styraighten his swing in Rochester.

However, Blankenhorn had his chance last season and could not hit in the majors. He is not hitting in Rochester, either. He's hiotting .236.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Persuasive argument. Let Meneses styraighten his swing in Rochester.

However, Blankenhorn had his chance last season and could not hit in the majors. He is not hitting in Rochester, either. He's hiotting .236.
hot April, bad May for TB. He did OK last season but got hurt then I think he was sent down to make room for ??????

Offline welch

hot April, bad May for TB. He did OK last season but got hurt then I think he was sent down to make room for ??????

I just watched the last few innings of Rochester. Blankenhorn, 0 - 5, looked almost as bad as Call. Both struck out with the bases loaded and the game tied.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
If you cut Meneses you could call up Millas to be the everyday catcher and platoon Ruiz and Adams at DH. Or give Blankenhorn a shot.

Works for me.

Offline rileyn

It's fun when anybody gets a hit against a much better team.  Meneses is living off 2 good months, two years ago. 

Offline welch

He has stood up. Time to dump Joey Gallo, who was a mistake.