Author Topic: final homestand - stray notes about the CWS & ATL series  (Read 1089 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Stray note #1 - Tonight's starter for the White Sox is Jose Urena, who threw 67 innings for Rochester this year after being released by Colorado. 6.31 ERA in the Nats system.

Stray note #2 - In the GDT for last night at the end, there's a back and forth about this year's performance by Dom Smith and Joey Meneses. But for Joey's terrific performance with runners in scoring position, the numbers are surprisingly close. Dom currently has a higher OBP, and he trails Joey by only one HR (11-10).  Starts here:
https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=41031.msg2298476#msg2298476

Stray note #3 - In the Rotation / dead cat bounce thread, there's a post regarding Joan Adon and the "3rd time through the order" penalty. Clearly in evidence last night. For the season, Adon has close to a .600 OPS the first two times through the order, and a 1.622 OPS the third time. That's like turning Carter Kieboom or Jake Alu into prime Harper or Soto for every hitter the 3rd time through. https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=40557.msg2298519#msg2298519

Offline Senatorswin

Stray note #1 - Tonight's starter for the White Sox is Jose Urena, who threw 67 innings for Rochester this year after being released by Colorado. 6.31 ERA in the Nats system.

Stray note #2 - In the GDT for last night at the end, there's a back and forth about this year's performance by Dom Smith and Joey Meneses. But for Joey's terrific performance with runners in scoring position, the numbers are surprisingly close. Dom currently has a higher OBP, and he trails Joey by only one HR (11-10).

Stray note #3 - In the Rotation / dead cat bounce thread, there's a post regarding Joan Adon and the "3rd time through the order" penalty. Clearly in evidence last night. For the season, Adon has close to a .600 OPS the first two times through the order, and a 1.622 OPS the third time. That's like turning Carter Kieboom or Jake Alu into prime Harper or Soto for every hitter the 3rd time through. https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=40557.msg2298519#msg2298519

Stray note #2 - The RISP is critical though. How many times has Joey hit in big situations. How many rallies has Dom killed. It shouldn't be minimized.

Stray note #3 - Sounds like Adon could be an effective middle reliever and a lousy starter.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
i'm hoping to see Rutledge have a much better outing tonight.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Stray note #2 - The RISP is critical though. How many times has Joey hit in big situations. How many rallies has Dom killed. It shouldn't be minimized.

Stray note #3 - Sounds like Adon could be an effective middle reliever and a lousy starter.
What Joey has done with runners in scoring position this year has really maximized what his hitting this year could produce. IOW, he's not had a good year for a middle of the order bat, but when he's hit, it's counted a lot. Whether that's his true level or not, it's not something you can count on as much as a guy who is consistently good. For example, last year, he was .220 with RISP. Which is real going forward? Probably something closer to his actual talent.

As for Dom, the comparison is more a measuring stick for Joey than it is praise for Dom.  Remember, the first 1/4 of the year or so, this guy had an ISO comparable to Pete Gray. The only praise for Dom is that, since then, he's more or less an average hitter. We all got pretty poisoned on him, and, no question, his production with runners in scoring position is lousy (.196 AVG, .556 OPS).

Since May 1, Dom is .266 / .335 / .387, 98 wRC+, with 9 HRs; Joey .276 / .327 / .408, 100 wRC+, with 10 HR. Awful tough to tell them apart, but for RISP.

As for Adon, it sounds like he'd benefit a lot from an opener. Pitch Ferrer or Garcia in the first if the top of the order is lefty-loaded, or throw Ward or Machado if it righty heavy, then bring in Adon to start the 2nd.  That way, 3rd time through the order is against #5 or #6 in the order and not the top. At that point, watch him like hawk and pull him when he gets in trouble. Ideally, this gets you to the 7th when your bullpen A can take over if you have a lead.

Offline Senatorswin

Some guys don't hit well when they're a DH. I wonder what Joey would of done on the year had he played in the left. Maybe left field all year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Some guys don't hit well when they're a DH. I wonder what Joey would of done on the year had he played in the left. Maybe left field all year.
or first.

With Joey, among the problems is he doesn't launch the ball in the air that much. Overwhelmingly grounders and liners. He hits the ball pretty hard but really needs to work on launch angle to be a middle of the order bat.

Offline UMDNats

If Joey Meneses can only hit if he's out there butchering balls in LF I'd rather just move on. He's a 30+ year old journeyman who is probably a 100 OPS+ guy without enough defensive ability to play everyday. Meh.

Offline aspenbubba

I saw a screen shot about 10 days ago and Joey was substantially better when playing 1B.

Someone asked who I would suggest as DH and as I have been stating for over a month  my choice would be Ruiz as his defense is very suspect

Offline imref

JCA Noted "Dom is .266 / .335 / .387"

FWIW, Rhys Hoskins in 2022: .246 / .332 / .462

Much more power.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'd watch Millas's starts. He could take a lot of time at C next year, especially if DH is more rotational than a permanent guy. Adams injury opens the door a bit wider.

As for Ruiz, let's see what he picks up this offseason with a focused training program.

Offline Natsinpwc

JCA Noted "Dom is .266 / .335 / .387"

FWIW, Rhys Hoskins in 2022: .246 / .332 / .462

Much more power.
Much more than expensive too!

Offline aspenbubba

I'd watch Millas's starts. He could take a lot of time at C next year, especially if DH is more rotational than a permanent guy. Adams injury opens the door a bit wider.

As for Ruiz, let's see what he picks up this offseason with a focused training program.

I agree as Adams hamate surgery will impact his power which was one of his offensive strengths. Ruiz has too many deficiencies defensively to overcome and that is why I’m promoting him as the primary DH.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
With the upcoming schedule, and after last night's performance, isn't there some sort of mercy rule we could invoke and just end the season now?... :lol:   ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
With the upcoming schedule, and after last night's performance, isn't there some sort of mercy rule we could invoke and just end the season now?... :lol:   ;)
In international tournaments and the WBC, yes. Not in MLB.

We make you suffer and hope that draws fans.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
By the way, I am biking home tonight so will not start the GDT. We may have a shot.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
And what a shot! Hope you enjoy(ed?) the game, English Natsie!

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
And what a shot! Hope you enjoy(ed?) the game, English Natsie!

Oh yes!...With the the stranded runner play, it really was 'anything you can do...'   :D

Now all we have to do is sweep the Barves and we're laughin'... ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'm in a fantasy baseball playoff right now, and I have 4 Nats and Braves in my weekly lineup - Ruiz, Abrams, Harris, and Albies. I'm guessing Saturday is a rain out. I just wonder if they will bother to reschedule it and, if they do, whether it will be Sunday night. If they don't, then I lose an awful lot of production as the head to head ends Sunday.

Offline imref

I'm in a fantasy baseball playoff right now, and I have 4 Nats and Braves in my weekly lineup - Ruiz, Abrams, Harris, and Albies. I'm guessing Saturday is a rain out. I just wonder if they will bother to reschedule it and, if they do, whether it will be Sunday night. If they don't, then I lose an awful lot of production as the head to head ends Sunday.
weather on Sunday looks decent, so I'd imagine a natural double-header so as not to go deep into the night.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
weather on Sunday looks decent, so I'd imagine a natural double-header so as not to go deep into the night.
they would want the gate for the second game, which they would get with a split DH, if that game is played. I don't think it is likely to be needed as the Barves have home field pretty much locked up in the NL. They have a 2.5 game lead over the Os as well, so it's likely that they have home field for as far as they play.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
It's been a while since we had a real doubleheader, no?  Fitting for the home closer - make it happen, Nats!     

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Sean Grogan posted in "Washington Baseball Yesterday and Today", a Facebook space where I post, and so does CalsGR8:

Last night I heard the Braves broadcast team tell us that Matt Olson had set a new team record for RBIs in a season. Next we heard “since the team has been in Atlanta”. I then thought, okay, who does hold the franchise record? They never mentioned that fact, but I soon found it was Eddie Mathews. Which is interesting since he’s the only guy who was on the team in Boston, Milwaukee, and Atlanta. I guess history doesn’t matter beyond the division era now.

Barves are a classy organization? I guess Freddy Freeman holds the Braves record for lifetime home runs, too.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Have an extra pair for tonight. Post here to claim then pm me your ballpark app info.  Witnes the Corbination live!

Offline blue911

Eddie Mathews is the reason I didn’t want Bryce Harper signed until age 39