Author Topic: MLB Expansion  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: MLB Expansion
« Reply #50: January 14, 2023, 08:35:39 PM »

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #51: January 14, 2023, 08:45:26 PM »
They correct term is they'all

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #52: January 14, 2023, 08:52:58 PM »
Hoboken and Stamford should be the next expansion cities. I’d bet both would be in the upper half of the league for attendance

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #53: January 14, 2023, 09:30:23 PM »
Hoboken and Stamford should be the next expansion cities. I’d bet both would be in the upper half of the league for attendance

Hard to drive to Hoboken. Meadowlands might be better.

Stamford? Connecticut fans can more easily get to Yankee Stadium, since the Hudson River is not in the way.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #54: January 14, 2023, 09:43:40 PM »

Stamford? Connecticut fans can more easily get to Yankee Stadium, since the Hudson River is not in the way.

Hoeboken isn’t that hard to drive to from Northern Jersey. If you could draw from Essex, Bergen, Passaic, and Hudson counties, you probably pull a lot of Yankees fans who are passionate about baseball. I think Stamford could pull people who either don’t like going into the city or can’t afford Yankee season tickets. The NY metro cares far more about baseball than most of the country. There aren’t many regions we’re baseball is the most popular sport, and instead of doubling down in those regions, baseball is going to go somewhere where no one cares. If London can support 7 premiere league teams, the NY region should be able to support more than 2 baseball teams

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #55: January 15, 2023, 10:09:19 AM »
I think I have seen that, were the NY metro area to add a 3rd team, the 3 NY teams would have the 3 largest markets were you to divide the multiteam markets equally among the teams (ie, split Chicago and LA, too).

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #56: January 16, 2023, 12:32:06 PM »

Not serious, but they could put them out near JFK and call them the New York Baseball Islanders.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #57: January 16, 2023, 01:08:23 PM »
Yuse guys.

Yes, I have an unconventional identity, which leaves most others looking puzzled and shaking their heads in disbelief. I identify as 'Nationals Fan'...(pronoun: what the...?)  ;)

Of course 'they / them' adds a whole new dimension to 'what about them Cowboys?'...

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #58: January 19, 2023, 02:08:20 PM »
https://cdn.tbonesbaseball.com/when_will_mlb_expansion_happen.jpeg

This is a map on the possible expansion sites as they relate to existing cities. An article this map came from mentions possible expansion in 2028. It looks like it has the Rangers to Dallas and Oakland moving to Las Vegas.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #59: January 19, 2023, 02:49:03 PM »
https://cdn.tbonesbaseball.com/when_will_mlb_expansion_happen.jpeg

This is a map on the possible expansion sites as they relate to existing cities. An article this map came from mentions possible expansion in 2028. It looks like it has the Rangers to Dallas and Oakland moving to Las Vegas.

Yea, I don't ever see MLB having 6 divisions with 6 teams each. I think the most we see by 2028 at the earliest is just re-shuffling the 30 teams we've got. Maybe in another decade we will see two more teams get added. It's hard to guess at adding 6 teams when Tampa and Oakland are such dismal areas to support now.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #60: January 19, 2023, 03:23:30 PM »

Yea, I don't ever see MLB having 6 divisions with 6 teams each. I think the most we see by 2028 at the earliest is just re-shuffling the 30 teams we've got. Maybe in another decade we will see two more teams get added. It's hard to guess at adding 6 teams when Tampa and Oakland are such dismal areas to support now.

Most the things I've seen is MLB expanding by 2 teams AFTER the Oakland and Tampa situations are settled. You're right, they won't be expanding by 6 teams in my lifetime. I think at least the map includes the possible expansion sites as they relate to existing cities.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #61: January 19, 2023, 04:27:59 PM »
Why do so many people think a team will work in Montreal this time? 
Montreal doesn't even have any minor league baseball at this time.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #62: January 20, 2023, 01:58:12 PM »
My friends in MTL say that they don't have an NHL team either.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #63: January 20, 2023, 03:18:36 PM »
My friends in MTL say that they don't have an NHL team either.

Used to be the all-time great sports teams were the Yankees in baseball, Celtics in basketball, Canadians in hockey and Notre Dame in college football.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #64: January 20, 2023, 05:45:25 PM »
Celtics are still good

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #65: January 20, 2023, 06:09:22 PM »
Celtics are still good

Yes they are but in the late 50's and 60's they were a dynasty.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66: January 20, 2023, 08:12:29 PM »
11 out of 13 championships with Russell. Missed one when Russell was hurt, missed the other to a Philly team that for a long time was thought to be one of the best ever because they beat the Celts.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #67: January 20, 2023, 08:45:40 PM »
11 out of 13 championships with Russell. Missed one when Russell was hurt, missed the other to a Philly team that for a long time was thought to be one of the best ever because they beat the Celts.
Damn right.  Sixers would have won every game that year if Wilt was not tired from his commute to Philly from his apartment in NYC on game days.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #68: January 20, 2023, 08:50:41 PM »
John Havlicek played in the 60's but I enjoyed following him in the 70's with the Celtics. I think the best NBA basketball though was the Larry Bird, Danny Ainge, Dennis Johnson, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish Celtics vs the Magic Johnson, Kereem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy, Jamaal Wilkes, Mitch Kupchak, Bob McAdoo Lakers. That was fun.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #69: January 20, 2023, 09:16:29 PM »
Damn right.  Sixers would have won every game that year if Wilt was not tired from his commute to Philly from his apartment in NYC on game days.

It was probably the pre-commute afternoon delight that really got him.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #70: January 20, 2023, 09:23:07 PM »
It was probably the pre-commute afternoon delight that really got him.
Afternoon. Morning. Evening. Anytime.

The story I read is that on the day of the 100 point game in Hershey he was at his club in Harlem till 4am and then returned to his apartment for a little….then with no sleep drive to Philly to catch the team bus to Hershey.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #71: January 20, 2023, 09:27:23 PM »
John Havlicek played in the 60's but I enjoyed following him in the 70's with the Celtics. I think the best NBA basketball though was the Larry Bird, Danny Ainge, Dennis Johnson, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish Celtics vs the Magic Johnson, Kereem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy, Jamaal Wilkes, Mitch Kupchak, Bob McAdoo Lakers. That was fun.
Yep. Great rivalry. One of those teams won the tiles every year from 1980-1988. Except for 1983.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #72: January 22, 2023, 03:13:01 PM »
I was looking at the map of where MLB teams are and you have Seattle up there by themselves in the upper northwest with nobody else close. I guess there isn't enough population in states like Wyoming, Oregon, Idaho or Montana for teams. If they can't support a team then it looks like North Carolina would fill a big gap. A second team it looks like San Antonio would work as far as filling in an area that doesn't have a team even though there are already two on Texas.

Half the teams in MLB are either between DC and Boston or around Lake Michigan area. Other than that teams are spread out.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73: January 22, 2023, 03:42:23 PM »
I was looking at the map of where MLB teams are and you have Seattle up there by themselves in the upper northwest with nobody else close. I guess there isn't enough population in states like Wyoming, Oregon, Idaho or Montana for teams. If they can't support a team then it looks like North Carolina would fill a big gap. A second team it looks like San Antonio would work as far as filling in an area that doesn't have a team even though there are already two on Texas.

Half the teams in MLB are either between DC and Boston or around Lake Michigan area. Other than that teams are spread out.
Portland, OR is thought to be a likely expansion spot.  That said, Nashville, Vegas, Montreal, and maybe Charlotte are probably ahead of it.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #74: January 22, 2023, 06:46:09 PM »
Portland, OR is thought to be a likely expansion spot.  That said, Nashville, Vegas, Montreal, and maybe Charlotte are probably ahead of it.

Looking at the map I never realized if you cut the country in two Halfs geographically how few teams are on the west half. Seattle is up there by themselves and the only city anywhere near them considered is right next door.

I would like to see one new team in one of the North Carolina cities and the other one in Montreal. Let Oakland move to Vegas and Tamps to San Antonio.

The other choice would be a new teams in Portland instead of Montreal but I would like to go see a game in Montreal.