Author Topic: MiLB Unionizing?  (Read 149 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
MiLB Unionizing?
« Topic Start: September 06, 2022, 04:26:43 PM »
via Evan Drellich at The Athletic:

BREAKING: More than 50 percent of minor leaguers have signed cards backing a union, MLBPA officials say. The Players Association has formally asked MLB for voluntary recognition, sending a letter to the commissioner’s office this morning:

https://theathletic.com/3568822/2022/09/06/minor-league-union-mlb-mlbpa/

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: MiLB Unionizing?
« Reply #1: September 06, 2022, 04:38:01 PM »
Not good for the MLB. I wonder if they'll demand more than minimum wage?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #2: September 07, 2022, 09:47:05 AM »
Not good for the MLB. I wonder if they'll demand more than minimum wage?

It'll be fun watching Manfred twist in the wind.  Go for a power move to take over MiLB and then this.  The other problem he has is that the minor league clubs will be on their players' side here.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #3: September 07, 2022, 10:36:57 AM »
MiLB player compensation is an embarrassment for baseball. It makes the sport look bad. It would be relatively inexpensive to fix in the grand scheme of the professional baseball economy. And yet why do I feel that MLB will fight that fix tooth and nail, ultimately reaching the same outcome but making itself look unnecessarily bad in the process?

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #4: September 07, 2022, 10:44:30 AM »
MiLB player compensation is an embarrassment for baseball. It makes the sport look bad. It would be relatively inexpensive to fix in the grand scheme of the professional baseball economy. And yet why do I feel that MLB will fight that fix tooth and nail, ultimately reaching the same outcome but making itself look unnecessarily bad in the process?

Because of the track record of the purveyor of the piece of metal?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #5: September 07, 2022, 10:51:54 AM »
Pro sport unions often irritate me, but minor leaguers should absolutely unionize. And if MLB fights them, step back and let Congress wreck MLB on the issue. Pretty easy to see how Congressional oversight could scare baseball to the negotiating table.