Author Topic: Josiah Gray - 2022  (Read 107 times)

Offline aspenbubba

Josiah Gray - 2022
« Topic Start: April 03, 2022, 03:23:40 PM »
Well everyone seems to believe that Gray is at least a number 3 SP. I just don't see it. He has a penchant for giving up dingers as was noted by some when we acquired him at the deadline. It was recently noted by Zuck that if his innings pitched were extrapolated out for a full season he would give up more HR's than Corbin did last year (37?). I would settle on him being an innings eater at a # 5.  Can he right the ship? He is certainly young enough and I hope so.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Re: JoJo Gray
« Reply #1: April 03, 2022, 04:05:44 PM »
He's young and, given his inexperience (particularly since he didnt become a pitcher until college) not sure why we'd be so hasty to declare him a bust.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #2: April 03, 2022, 04:48:04 PM »
He's young and, given his inexperience (particularly since he didnt become a pitcher until college) not sure why we'd be so hasty to declare him a bust.
  I'm always in a rush to call players a bust.  Gray is no exception. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #3: April 03, 2022, 05:26:39 PM »
  I'm always in a rush to call players a bust.  Gray is no exception. 
Its the WNFF way.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #4: April 03, 2022, 05:27:48 PM »
I didn’t call him a bust. You must have confused my opinion of him with Kiebust. I said he was young and hopefully rights the ship.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #5: April 03, 2022, 05:32:44 PM »
Well everyone seems to believe that Gray is at least a number 3 SP. I just don't see it. He has a penchant for giving up dingers as was noted by some when we acquired him at the deadline. It was recently noted by Zuck that if his innings pitched were extrapolated out for a full season he would give up more HR's than Corbin did last year (37?). I would settle on him being an innings eater at a # 5.  Can he right the ship? He is certainly young enough and I hope so.

You dont see him being what he was scouted to be. Thats a bust.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #6: April 03, 2022, 09:02:56 PM »

Last year he was 23, coming off a year with no minor leagues, had a total of 40 career innings above high-A going into the season, and was pitching to two rookie catchers who were also trying to figure out MLB hitters and umpires on the fly. He's barely had an opportunity to figure out through experience what the differences between A-ball hitters and MLB hitters are.  There are a lot of things that pointed to him potentially struggling even more than he did. 

He's only six months older than Cavalli.  There are multiple top-50 pitching prospects who are already 24 and haven't appeared in the majors yet.  Time is on his side, and it's not like there's pressure to succeed immediately. 

Maybe he won't be a #3, but I think he'll be substantially better than he was last year given another year or so.  And what he was at the end of last year was already a #5 MLB starter on many teams.   

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #7: April 19, 2022, 02:55:17 PM »
Very nice start to the season though he's still throwing a lot of balls. 3.14 ERA so far.

Online nfotiu

« Reply #8: April 19, 2022, 03:23:52 PM »
That ERA proves he's an important part of the equation when figuring out the rotation.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #9: April 19, 2022, 05:26:42 PM »
That ERA proves he's an important part of the equation when figuring out the rotation.
I'm thinking he's the boss of #2

Online nfotiu

« Reply #10: April 19, 2022, 07:42:25 PM »
I'm thinking he's the boss of #2
I guess everyone missed my bad pi joke! :D

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #11: April 19, 2022, 08:42:34 PM »
I guess everyone missed my bad pi joke! :D
yes, missed it, but just because it went by me doesn't mean the rest missed it.

My humor is much less sophisticated

Offline madj55

« Reply #12: April 19, 2022, 08:59:03 PM »
Secondary pitches are electric.

Fastball command is concerning, hope he can consistently improve that throughout the season.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #13: April 21, 2022, 10:36:15 AM »
Well everyone seems to believe that Gray is at least a number 3 SP. I just don't see it. He has a penchant for giving up dingers ...

So did Scherzer.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #14: April 27, 2022, 03:11:20 PM »
Saw him in person for the first time yesterday. Man, his stuff is impressive. Great life on that fastball. It must be so hard to time up against him, he has a perfect distribution of velos across the four pitches.

Nothing new really, just hadn't seen him live from good seats before. Super impressed.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #15: April 27, 2022, 06:29:29 PM »
So did Scherzer.
Just needs to stay away from the 3 run bombs. Solo HR here and there OK.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #16: April 27, 2022, 07:01:01 PM »
Yo-Yo Gray... ;)

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #17: April 29, 2022, 07:48:08 PM »
Super impressed with this guy. Flawless mechanics, not afraid to attack the zone, breaking stuff is straight up filthy. I can see him as a #1 one day in the not too distant future. He and Ruiz are two nice pieces to build around.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #18: April 30, 2022, 10:23:52 AM »
Super impressed with this guy. Flawless mechanics, not afraid to attack the zone, breaking stuff is straight up filthy. I can see him as a #1 one day in the not too distant future. He and Ruiz are two nice pieces to build around.

I’ll settle for a #2 and 2 #4 or #5 types out of Cavalli, gray, Adon, Henry, and Parker

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #19: May 25, 2022, 09:25:20 AM »
Uneven season so far for Gray.

And then he shared that he's been receiving racist messages on instagram. :(

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #20: May 25, 2022, 09:29:00 AM »
People suck.

Uneven season so far for Gray.