Author Topic: Most popular players are now gone  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Most popular players are now gone
« Reply #25: July 31, 2021, 10:21:27 AM »
Well before enough said they were barely in the top 100.  Now you’re saying that “all you know” is something completely different than that assertion.  Baiting and switching
He literally said they were barely in the top 100 and then when shown multiple sources that showed that was not true, he changed the argument.

Some people are still in denial.  Grieving will come later. And then acceptance.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #26: July 31, 2021, 11:20:43 AM »
Trea Turner and Max. Rizzo has no heart.
If you can't face the thought of cheering for a team that only has Juan Soto and Ryan Zimmerman, then I'm not sure what to tell you

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #27: July 31, 2021, 11:23:31 AM »
Link doesn’t work.
Depends on source/timing.
All I know is ALL sources say the biggest winner in all the trades are the Dodgers.
Nats got fleeced, or at least got a lot less than they could have.
Time will tell.
I googled to prove you wrong and literally the first link https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/max-scherzer-trade-grades-dodgers-ready-to-defend-world-series-title-after-six-player-swap/ had the trade graded an "A" for both teams.

Should I keep searching or should we just admit you are angry about the trade but lots of people think the Nationals came out well?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #28: July 31, 2021, 11:29:19 AM »
tbh, I wanted Trea as someone to build around, but in terms of popularity, I don't think he's top 5 over the Davey period.  I 'd say Harper was #1, Stras #2, Max, Soto now, Face, then you get into Rendon, Doo, Baby Shark, and Turnerin some order.

Howie...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #29: July 31, 2021, 12:34:09 PM »
Howie...
yes, and frankly, I think both Schwarber and Harrison had the potential to be quite popular. They both give great interviews, like community involvement, had some style when they play, and delivered.  No one replaces Howie because of the context in which he delivered, of course.

As for Turner, like I said, I really liked him a lot, but, going to the ballpark last night, I saw precisely one Turner jersey.  I saw tons of Scherzer jerseys, as many or more Rendons than Turners, of course Soto jerseys (and a Soto Pacheco from the nicknames jerseys), and not that many Harpers.  Lots of Bryants and Rizzos :) I even saw a guy in Dodgers gear with a Dodgers hat and jersey with "SCHERZER" stitched on the name.  I/M/O, the only guy still on the roster who could give Scherzer a run for the money in terms of popularity is Soto.  Says the guy with the Soto jersey but only a Max tee shirt.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #30: July 31, 2021, 12:37:41 PM »
Well before enough said they were barely in the top 100.  Now you’re saying that “all you know” is something completely different than that assertion.  Baiting and switching
I never said they were barely in the top 100, that was somebody else. All I said was I saw the highest they were rated was 40, 41.
Now about that link….

Offline hohoho

« Reply #31: July 31, 2021, 12:51:21 PM »
I googled to prove you wrong and literally the first link https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/max-scherzer-trade-grades-dodgers-ready-to-defend-world-series-title-after-six-player-swap/ had the trade graded an "A" for both teams.

Should I keep searching or should we just admit you are angry about the trade but lots of people think the Nationals came out well?
Let me help you with some objectivity. Based on algorithms, the website baseballtradevalues.com rates it a win for LA, by about 79-71. Like I said they should have probably could have got more.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #32: July 31, 2021, 01:06:55 PM »
tbh, I wanted Trea as someone to build around, but in terms of popularity, I don't think he's top 5 over the Davey period.  I 'd say Harper was #1, Stras #2, Max, Soto now, Face, then you get into Rendon, Doo, Baby Shark, and Turnerin some order.
I see you agreed to add Howie, which makes sense.
You also added new guys from 2021.  No way.  I love Josh Harrison, but he wasn't on the team long enough and the team is awful this year.
Max is #1.  Stras is #2.  Soto is #3.  Harper is in a different category because he never made a real connection with the fans.  Did you see the goodbye message from Trea Turner?  That was awesome, and Harper never made any statement like that.
Trea and Zim are tied for #4.
Rendon is #6.
Doo and Howie are tied for #7.
Yan, Hudson, and Eaton are tied for #9.
Baby Shark -- nice guy, and used to be a good player before joining the Nats.  All hype in 2019.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: July 31, 2021, 01:10:16 PM »
I swear I think that no matter what happens people are going to be pissed. Teams hold onto their prospects a lot more now. Trades where teams give up multiple pieces at the top of their list are rare. Especially the Dodgers.
Turner wasn’t going to stay. This team is not good, regardless of who’s playing shortstop. Might as well get a jump on the rebuild.

I’m pretty happy with what Rizzo did.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: July 31, 2021, 01:10:28 PM »
Let me help you with some objectivity. Based on algorithms, the website baseballtradevalues.com rates it a win for LA, by about 79-71. Like I said they should have probably could have got more.
What are algorithms based on? Same judgment calls as everyone else. Nothing to say that they are objective. It can be a win for both teams as others have noted. Easier to rate for the Dodgers because they hit two proven commodities for a period of time. You sound like you are moving into the grieving stage. That’s good acceptance will come.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #35: July 31, 2021, 01:12:17 PM »
I swear I think that no matter what happens people are going to be pissed. Teams hold onto their prospects a lot more now. Trades where teams give up multiple pieces at the top of their list are rare. Especially the Dodgers.
Turner wasn’t going to stay. This team is not good, regardless of who’s playing shortstop. Might as well get a jump on the rebuild.

I’m pretty happy with what Rizzo did.
I would have liked to see them get more from LA but I am sure Rizzo tried. I think half of our top ten prospects will be the new guys including House. 2021 was dead and they realized 2022 was a long shot.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #36: July 31, 2021, 01:16:16 PM »
I just looked at franchise WAR and Trea Turner is way up the leaderboard

Nationals bWAR leaders:

Ryan Zimmerman 39.7
Max Scherzer 38.7
Stephen Strasburg 31.5
Anthony Rendon 30.1
Bryce Harper 27.8
Trea Turner 22.5
Gio Gonzalez 21.0
Jordan Zimmermann 19.5
I an Desmond 16.5
Juan Soto 14.5

If I had included Expos, Trea Turner would have been ahead of Pedro Martinez, Larry Walker, Marquis Grissom, and Jose Vidro.

WAR really likes players who are at premium defensive positions so it'll always overrate a competent shortstop over a corner OF, but shocked at how far ahead of Soto Trea is.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #37: July 31, 2021, 01:25:16 PM »
What are algorithms based on? Same judgment calls as everyone else. Nothing to say that they are objective. It can be a win for both teams as others have noted. Easier to rate for the Dodgers because they hit two proven commodities for a period of time. You sound like you are moving into the grieving stage. That’s good acceptance will come.
Well at least they try to quantify it, not just shot from the hip, as in “everybody won”, which is what your source does.
Ruiz appears to be over half the value the Nats got. He has serious weaknesses - power and his arm.
A question: Have you ever seen a team trade two allstars or the two best players on their team for no proven bonafide mlb players, just a few semi-competent minor league “prospects”? We are not talking about Mays or Mantle-level prospects here.
If so, how did that turn out?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #38: July 31, 2021, 01:32:15 PM »
Ruiz appears to be over half the value the Nats got. He has serious weaknesses - power and his arm.
A question: Have you ever seen a team trade two allstars or the two best players on their team for no proven bonafide mlb players, just a few semi-competent minor league “prospects”? We are not talking about Mays or Mantle-level prospects here.
If so, how did that turn out?
Max is a two month rental. He would not have returned either Gray or Ruiz. They also got two other prospects. How did not trading Harper help them?

Offline hohoho

« Reply #39: July 31, 2021, 01:35:40 PM »
I would have liked to see them get more from LA but I am sure Rizzo tried. I think half of our top ten prospects will be the new guys including House. 2021 was dead and they realized 2022 was a long shot.
Two times zero is still zero. The Nats will be still near the bottom in prospects.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #40: July 31, 2021, 01:37:50 PM »
Two times zero is still zero. The Nats will be still near the bottom in prospects.

That is no longer true.  We have three top 50 guys and two borderline top 100 guys with other legit prospects like Henry, Lara, Carrillo, Antuna, and Ramirez now

Offline hohoho

« Reply #41: July 31, 2021, 01:44:17 PM »
Max is a two month rental. He would not have returned either Gray or Ruiz. They also got two other prospects. How did not trading Harper help them?
I agree on Harper as he was probably a net negative. Only Ruiz and Gray have any potential. They unloaded salaries but they could have done that by giving Max and Trea away. My main contention is they should have got more, maybe at least one proven major league player, not a handful of pigs in a poke.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #42: July 31, 2021, 01:45:56 PM »
That is no longer true.  We have three top 50 guys and two borderline top 100 guys with other legit prospects like Henry, Lara, Carrillo, Antuna, and Ramirez now
Who are the three so-called top 50 guys?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #43: July 31, 2021, 01:48:23 PM »
Who are the three so-called top 50 guys?

Ruiz and Grey are top 50. Cavelli is 77 but he’ll move up soon.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects

Offline hohoho

« Reply #44: July 31, 2021, 01:55:54 PM »

Ruiz 40, Gray 41. Don’t see Carillon or Casey. So we traded two mlb allstars for the 40th and 41st “prospects”. What a deal!

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #45: July 31, 2021, 01:55:55 PM »

Baseball America pushed Cavalli up to #33 overall in their June update.  There’s a chance that by the end of the season he’s the second best regarded minor league pitching prospect behind Grayson Rodriguez

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #46: July 31, 2021, 01:56:33 PM »
Hey Hohoho, I'm pretty sure your just a whiny troll. That baseball trade website that you said has "algorithms" also told me that the Cubs should have just given Kris Bryant to the Nats straight up for Carter Kieboom.

Trust that the value the Nats got was the best they could have gotten. Everyone knew Max and Trea were on the block. Teams have their best offers. It doesn't matter what YOU think the Nats could have gotten in a vacuum, that isn't real life baseball. The alternative was the Nats get NOTHING for these guys plus a complete wild card in a compensation pick for when Trea leaves.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #47: July 31, 2021, 01:58:13 PM »
Hohoho isn’t a troll, he’s just righteously pissed about this trade. I disagree on this topic, but he’s a solid poster.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #48: July 31, 2021, 01:59:03 PM »
Ruiz 40, Gray 41. Don’t see Carillon or Casey. So we traded two mlb allstars for the 40th and 41st “prospects”. What a deal!

we traded 2 months of one all star, and 1 year and 2 months of another.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #49: July 31, 2021, 02:01:56 PM »
Hohoho isn’t a troll, he’s just righteously pissed about this trade. I disagree on this topic, but he’s a solid poster.

Fine, maybe not a troll but, like, he made his point that he is pissed. Ok, it's sad to watch good players get traded away. What Hohoho is doing is just not listening to anything and posting incessantly that the sky is falling. We got your point. Move on.