Author Topic: Is Bob Carpenter gone?  (Read 1900 times)

Offline catocony

Is Bob Carpenter gone?
« Topic Start: July 19, 2021, 09:12:29 PM »
Dave Jageler said at the beginning of the broadcast tonight that he is filling in for Dan Kolko, who is off tonight. 

Does this mean that, with the return of FP, that Carpenter has quit?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Is Bob Carpenter gone?
« Reply #1: July 19, 2021, 09:14:38 PM »
No, he arranged to take these days off before the season started

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #2: July 19, 2021, 09:18:48 PM »
I'm good with Dave and FP though.   Probably my favorite of all the TV combos this year.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #3: July 19, 2021, 09:20:09 PM »
Dave Jageler said at the beginning of the broadcast tonight that he is filling in for Dan Kolko, who is off tonight. 

Does this mean that, with the return of FP, that Carpenter has quit?

I caught Dave’s comment too and found it strange. But Carp tweeted last week that he’s off until this Friday and that it was arranged before the season. Maybe Kolko was supposed to be there but had an emergency come up?

Carp did say he was going to take more time off this year and he’s certainly following through. I really think he’s gone after this year. After all the time he’s taken off this year so far plus not having to travel I can’t see him coming back since I’m sure they will be traveling again next season for road games. In that case, even though I would hate to break up Charlie and Dave, I like the lineup for both radio and TV that they have in place tonight.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #4: July 19, 2021, 09:28:31 PM »
Since it's 12-0, what's everyone's rankings of TV combo's we've had this year?  Mine would go

1. Dave & FP
2. Bob & FP
3. Bob & Justin
4. Dan & FP
Below this line is where it got ugly for me...

5. Dan & Grant
6. Bob & Dan
7. Dan & Justin

Did I miss any?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #5: July 19, 2021, 09:36:00 PM »
Just give Charlie and Dave the TV job and simulcast on the radio.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #6: July 19, 2021, 09:48:17 PM »
Since it's 12-0, what's everyone's rankings of TV combo's we've had this year?  Mine would go

1. Dave & FP
2. Bob & FP
3. Bob & Justin
4. Dan & FP

5. Dan & Grant
6. Bob & Dan
7. Dan & Justin

Did I miss any?

Mine would be similar but Dan & Grant would rank lower.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #7: July 19, 2021, 10:07:28 PM »
Mine would be similar but Dan & Grant would rank lower.
Grant's first game was a shoe in for the worst broadcast of the year, but got tolerable by the end to me.  Dan doing color was particularly painful.  Dan doing pbp was ok when he had a decent guy to work with, but fell apart when he was left with Justin.

Offline catocony

« Reply #8: July 19, 2021, 11:45:17 PM »
Dan doing color was particularly painful.  Dan doing pbp was ok when he had a decent guy to work with, but fell apart when he was left with Justin.

Agreed, I think Dan could be a decent play-by-play guy, but not as color commentary.  While Justin is a really nice guy, he just isn't entertaining enough to have on the air.

When Bob does retire, I would like to see Dave replace him fulltime.  Dan is best doing pre/post game and filling in for play-by-play. 

As much as FP's schtick can get annoying after a while, he's so much better than Justin.  I actually want to listen to games again instead of leaving it on mute and spending a few hours making phone calls - which has been my thing the last couple of months.

Offline Briggs

« Reply #9: July 20, 2021, 06:34:20 AM »
Charlie and Dave are very good

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #10: July 20, 2021, 09:53:34 AM »
Still say a Charlie, Dave, and FP simulcast would be the best coverage of the game

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #11: July 20, 2021, 10:15:59 AM »
I love Charlie and Dave, and I really don't mind Bob & FP.  FP has his schtick, but he also provides plenty of insightful commentary.  He's a homer, but given his employer he has to be. I much prefer FP to J-Max.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #12: July 20, 2021, 02:56:41 PM »
FP seems to have dialed down the bruhiness quite considerably.  Much improved IMHO.   

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #13: July 20, 2021, 04:54:54 PM »

1. Dave & FP
2. Bob & FP
3. Bob & Justin
4. Dan & FP

5. Dan & Grant
6. Bob & Dan
7. Dan & Justin

Did I miss any?

You missed Mike Morse.  Absolutely the worst. Grant was awful, but I'd take him over Morse.

Kolko talks too much.  He doesn't need to give so much play-by-play detail, for tv. Perhaps he belongs on radio?

Offline hotshot

« Reply #14: July 20, 2021, 05:20:51 PM »
FP seems to have dialed down the bruhiness quite considerably.  Much improved IMHO.   
Agree. Still, however, with his "Oppo-Taco" opposite field HR call from back when he was doing college games 10+ years ago.

That aside, I'm prepared to give him a fresh start.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #15: July 20, 2021, 06:42:15 PM »

FP no longer tells us the same things three times or fills the air with his lame jokes. Much improved.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #16: July 20, 2021, 08:04:35 PM »
FP no longer tells us the same things three times or fills the air with his lame jokes. Much improved.

Just wait for Pups in the Park night...

Offline imref

« Reply #17: July 20, 2021, 08:53:43 PM »
Just wait for Pups in the Park night...

That of course would be perfect for :dibbs:

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #18: July 20, 2021, 10:43:29 PM »
FP is a fine color commentator if he wants to be. Vintage 2011-2012 FP taught me quite a few things about baseball that I did not know before. Before he began ranting about how he does not like rules changes between pitches, going off on tangents about how good the 2015-2017 Cubs were in games they were not involved in, etc.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #19: July 21, 2021, 10:42:45 PM »
So is something going on with Kolko now? He was off Monday, back Tuesday and then off again today. Today’s absence seems like it was last-minute because they slid Dave to the TV booth and Charlie flew solo on the radio - on Monday, Pete Medhurst joined Charlie.  Maybe it’s nothing but you never know…

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #20: July 22, 2021, 12:28:07 AM »
So is something going on with Kolko now? He was off Monday, back Tuesday and then off again today. Today’s absence seems like it was last-minute because they slid Dave to the TV booth and Charlie flew solo on the radio - on Monday, Pete Medhurst joined Charlie.  Maybe it’s nothing but you never know…
yeah I think they’re planning To go with Dave and FP on tv, with Kolo out of the picture because he isn’t very good, or at best he’ll team up with Charlie on radio.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #21: July 22, 2021, 09:44:10 AM »
yeah I think they’re planning To go with Dave and FP on tv, with Kolo out of the picture because he isn’t very good, or at best he’ll team up with Charlie on radio.

I think Pete Medhurst does a good job on the radio. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #22: July 22, 2021, 09:52:41 AM »
I think Pete Medhurst does a good job on the radio.
Kolko is the host of the studio show. He has just been filling in because Carp is off so much this year. He can return to the studio job.

Offline imref

« Reply #23: July 22, 2021, 11:55:50 AM »
Bob will be back for the Orioles series per Zuck.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #24: July 22, 2021, 12:22:26 PM »
I don’t think there is anything weird about bob’s absences.  He was pretty clear that he arranged for more time off ahead of 2020.   I’m guessing that’s a signal he’s getting into the final leg of his career.  Not sure what’s up with Dan though.  If this was scheduled well ahead of time, I’m sure he would have been preparing for this week. 

Dave and FP is very good.  FO seems to respect his baseball knowledge and it makes for more insightful conversation and less over explaining FP tends to do.