Author Topic: Starlin Castro placed on Administrative Leave  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Mattionals

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
It's ironic because Dave Johnson on TOP was just praising his hitting the past couple of weeks.  .407 / .462 / . 556 over the past 28 days and 92 PAs.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
It's ironic because Dave Johnson on TOP was just praising his hitting the past couple of weeks.  .407 / .462 / . 556 over the past 28 days and 92 PAs.
Yep. Nats curse? Oh you're finally playing well? Well now you cant play

Offline UMDNats

Luis Garcia, come on down.

Rizzo and Davey are telling us they want to win the division but also telling us they are tanking because Garcia isn't even in consideration. They're seriously rolling with Mercer and Escobar. Just a joke.

Offline Slateman

Did I miss a memo where Garcia isnt a 77 wRC+ hitter?

Offline UMDNats

Did I miss a memo where Garcia isnt a 77 wRC+ hitter?

I'd rather watch a 21-year-old prospect who is OPS'ing over 900 in AAA than two guys who are almost automatic outs.

Offline Slateman

I'd rather watch a 21-year-old prospect who is OPS'ing over 900 in AAA than two guys who are almost automatic outs.
Thats great. So did Kieboom. Both of them need to stay down in Triple A and develop

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Garcia not playing tonight against Syracuse.

Online imref

Garcia not playing tonight against Syracuse.

He came out early last night. Hope didn’t re-injure himself. 

Online welch

He came out early last night. Hope didn’t re-injure himself. 

Grrrr.

Online welch

Castro is on administrative leave for domestic violence and child endangerment. That's all, folks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/07/16/starlin-castro-domestic-violence-administrative-leave/

What I can tell you about me and this organization, as you know, we do not tolerate any kind of domestic abuse,” Martinez said. “Speaking for myself, I think it’s awful. He’s going to be on administrative leave, and after that, there will be an investigation. I don’t know much about anything else, but he will not be with the team.”

The MLB/MLB Players Association joint policy on domestic violence allows the commissioner to place a player on administrative leave for up to seven days as MLB investigates allegations of domestic violence. To extend that leave, MLB needs approval from the union. The leave does not constitute a disciplinary action, and Castro will be paid for its duration.

Advertisement
The nature of the allegation against Castro remains unclear; the statement from MLB did not include any details, nor were any provided by those familiar with the matter.

The Nationals placed Castro on the restricted list a month ago but did not disclose the reason for his absence. At the time, Washington said Castro had left the team to deal with a family matter, and the Nationals, through Martinez, offered their full support in his absence.

That matter is separate from the one that led Castro to be placed on leave, according to people familiar with the situation, who said the accusations against Castro are in reference to an incident that happened earlier in the year. Martinez said the organization would have handled that situation much differently if it had known then about the domestic violence allegations.

Advertisement
“I would have never ever …” Martinez said, trailing off before composing himself again. “His is a totally different situation. If I would have known about this a month ago, we would have had a different conversation, I’ll tell you that.”

Nationals broadcaster F.P. Santangelo expected to return to the MASN booth

Martinez said he addressed Castro’s situation with the team earlier Friday and relayed the message that domestic violence will not be tolerated.

“I definitely lose a lot of respect for anyone that does some kind of domestic violence, whether it’s spouses, children, whatever,” said Martinez, who added he isn’t sure what will happen after Castro goes through the investigative process. “When that process is done, that will be another conversation. Until he goes through that process, I really have nothing to say to him or anybody about it.”

Castro has not indicated whether he plans to appeal the decision to place him on leave, which is within his rights in accordance with the MLB/MLBPA joint policy. Because players have the right to appeal, MLB often does not place a player on administrative leave until it feels it has enough evidence to justify the decision in the case of such a hearing.

Advertisement
Castro, 31, was accused of sexual assault in connection with a 2011 incident in Chicago. Prosecutors did not bring charges against him, citing insufficient evidence. Martinez said he didn’t have any concerns about Castro’s off-field behavior before these allegations because, from what he had seen, Castro was a good teammate and person.

“Yesterday, when I was told, I was shocked — I really was,” Martinez said. “Then again, like I said, we don’t tolerate that kind of behavior. I’m going to support MLB. And not only in this game but in anything in life, domestic violence is awful. There’s no place for it as far as I’m concerned.”

MLB overhauled the minors this season. Some advocates say it hasn’t been enough.

Castro is the third player under investigation in accordance with MLB’s domestic violence policy. In June, Atlanta Braves outfielder Marcell Ozuna was arrested after an altercation with his wife in which police found him “grabbing the victim by the neck and throwing her against a wall.” Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer is on administrative leave as authorities and MLB investigate allegations of assault against him.

Advertisement
Earlier this week, Commissioner Rob Manfred said he believes MLB’s domestic violence policies are “robust and appropriate.”

“When you put them next to the policies that are present in most businesses, they’re actually broader and more protective in terms of who we cover,” he said.

Asked whether the players’ union has changed how it discusses the treatment of women with its members, Tony Clark, the executive director, said the group makes sure existing policies are implemented in accordance with the agreement the union has with MLB.

In a roster move related to Castro’s absence, Washington reinstated infielder Jordy Mercer from the injured list ahead of Friday night’s opening game of its series with the San Diego Padres at Nationals Park.

Offline Duke of Earl

Castro is on administrative leave for domestic violence and child endangerment. That's all, folks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/07/16/starlin-castro-domestic-violence-administrative-leave/
Martinez's quotes are bizarre.  Fine to offer a generic "We have zero tolerance for domestic abuse; at this point we have no details. Until we do, we'll have nothing further to say."

Instead, he sounds like he knows exactly what happened and that Castro did whatever it is that he is accused of.  If he  knows the details, he should have kept his mouth shut.  If he doesn't know the details, he should have kept his mouth shut.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Martinez's quotes are bizarre.  Fine to offer a generic "We have zero tolerance for domestic abuse; at this point we have no details. Until we do, we'll have nothing further to say."

Instead, he sounds like he knows exactly what happened and that Castro did whatever it is that he is accused of.  If he  knows the details, he should have kept his mouth shut.  If he doesn't know the details, he should have kept his mouth shut.

I thought the same thing...sounded like he's convinced that Castro did it...or maybe Castro lied to him the first time...

Online imref

Per Jesse Dougherty: Mike Rizzo says he does not expect Castro to return to the Nationals.

Offline Duke of Earl

Per Jesse Dougherty: Mike Rizzo says he does not expect Castro to return to the Nationals.
https://theathletic.com/news/nationals-dont-expect-starlin-castro-back-from-leave-this-season-gm-rizzo/CwCR6SRc6XXm

' Rizzo, who called the allegation "unacceptable,........" '
 which means he knows what the allegations are. Does he also know if they're credible? If not he should not make such a statement (that he doesn't expect him back).

Online welch

https://theathletic.com/news/nationals-dont-expect-starlin-castro-back-from-leave-this-season-gm-rizzo/CwCR6SRc6XXm

' Rizzo, who called the allegation "unacceptable,........" '
 which means he knows what the allegations are. Does he also know if they're credible? If not he should not make such a statement (that he doesn't expect him back).

It sounds like Rizzo, Davey, and the organization believe the allegations. Note the Post article yesterday about Davey and the shootings, which mention that Davey, the "heart of the organization", spoke from the long-time Nats position that "we want players with good character".

Castro left the team for a reason unrelated to the incident for which he is being investigated, according to multiple people familiar with the situation. But Martinez was among those in the organization who worried they had violated their own standards by putting him on the field without knowing about the accusation.

“I would have never, ever …” Martinez said Friday. “This is a totally different situation. If I would have known about this a month ago, we would have had a different conversation, I’ll tell you that.”

....Still, Martinez last week flipped the familiar, detached script that conversations about domestic violence in baseball have often followed. In the past two weeks alone, Los Angeles Dodgers CEO Stan Kasten joked to reporters about his reluctance to talk about sexual assault allegations against Trevor Bauer. MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred and players’ union head Tony Clark defended their joint domestic violence policy as “robust” and appropriate despite having three players known to be under investigation and having placed three men on the ineligible list in the past year after accusations of sexual misconduct and harassment. Martinez, though, appeared uncalculated and unequivocal.

“What I can tell you about me and this organization, as you know, we do not tolerate any kind of domestic abuse. Speaking for myself, I think it’s awful,” said Martinez, who added later that he loses respect for anyone who treats people that way. Few MLB leaders have been so unwavering in their condemnation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/07/19/dave-martinez-nationals-park-shooting/

Online imref

More from Dougherty:

More from Mike Rizzo: "What I told the players when we met with them after we told the team about Castro was: 'We got to do better. We got to do better than this. The whole world has to do better than this, and it's unacceptable.' It's zero tolerance here."

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Alliteration aside, Castro would fit right in as an Astro.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Online NatsAllThe Way

Can he be traded?  Some corrupt teams likely don't care.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Can he be traded?  Some corrupt teams likely don't care.

:spit:

Offline Slateman

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Dougherty: MLB announces a 30-game suspension for Starlin Castro, effective today, and an undisclosed fine for violating the Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy. Nationals have already made it clear that he will not return with them this year.