Author Topic: 2021 Trade Discussions/Rumors/Deadline - buy or sell  (Read 38548 times)

Offline catocony

If they weren't on the Dodgers 26-main yesterday then they probably won't be on the Nats 26-man tonight.  Hence half of Rochester on the way in.  With Voth on the COVID IL, the bullpen is extra random this weekend.  Maybe not worse than before, but at least Davey has a good excuse now for not using them very well.  He has no clue who they are.

Offline 1995hoo

Dougherty reporting Gomes and Harrison to Oakland; hasn't said who or what the return will be.

He reports the return is:
C Drew Millas
RHP Seth Shuman
RHP Richard Guasch

None of those names mean anything to me, but Guasch must be a good guy because he has an excellent first name.

Offline UMDNats

Millas was #13 in the BA mid-season top 30, Guasch was 30 I think and Shuman was the honorable mention. Shuman has excellent numbers this year and Millas looks really solid.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Austin Martin is awesome but he's moved around to like four different positions, had throwing issues, and can't hit for power in AA. The #4 prospect they gave up had a velo drop and is getting shelled in AA. On paper it looks amazing for MIN and it's a very good haul for them (Martin was #5 pick last year) but there's some risk there.

Martin at minimum is probably a starter-level utility man though and a good clubhouse guy. Just a pure winner type.

Nope. This guy:

https://www.astonmartin.com/en-us/

Offline Lazarchick 31

Well that return was quite awful.

Offline Section214

He reports the return is:
C Drew Millas
RHP Seth Shuman
RHP Richard Guasch

None of those names mean anything to me, but Guasch must be a good guy because he has an excellent first name.

That's actually a pretty disappointing group to get back for BOTH of those guys. I was all for quantity over quality in a lot of these deals, but Guasch looks pretty worthless, Millas is #27 on their top list and looks like a solid switch hitting catcher. Shuman isn't on their top 30 list, but he's having a decent year in A+, at age 23..

Offline welch

Millas was #13 in the BA mid-season top 30, Guasch was 30 I think and Shuman was the honorable mention. Shuman has excellent numbers this year and Millas looks really solid.

Why do the Nats need a fourth young catcher?

Offline UMDNats

To use in trades this winter.

Offline Section214

Don't forget Pineda and Reetz..

Offline UMDNats

That's actually a pretty disappointing group to get back for BOTH of those guys. I was all for quantity over quality in a lot of these deals, but Guasch looks pretty worthless, Millas is #27 on their top list and looks like a solid switch hitting catcher. Shuman isn't on their top 30 list, but he's having a decent year in A+, at age 23..

Stop looking at pre-season lists on July 30th. BA has Millas as #13, Gausch as #30 and Shuman as #31. Three assets that, at worst, give us more ammunition to make moves in 6 months.

Offline UMDNats

Don't forget Pineda and Reetz..

Pineda blows and the Nats literally signed the corpse of Rene Rivera over playing Reetz.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

I posted his in the completed trades thread, here's what The Athletic's A's beat reporter posted:

Melissa Lockard
@melissalockard
Solid haul for the Nationals: Millas is an excellent defender with a good approach at the plate, Shuman has been outstanding this season and Guasch has two potential above-average offerings

Offline UMDNats

https://twitter.com/melissalockard/status/1421190343928684545?s=20

Solid haul for the Nationals: Millas is an excellent defender with a good approach at the plate, Shuman has been outstanding this season and Guasch has two potential above-average offerings

---

You acquire as many good assets as you possibly can and let the best of the best work itself out.

Offline Section214

Stop looking at pre-season lists on July 30th. BA has Millas as #13, Gausch as #30 and Shuman as #31. Three assets that, at worst, give us more ammunition to make moves in 6 months.

Fair enough, but rankings aside, Gausch is a 23 year old being rocked in Single A. If he moved up in their farm rankings, there farm must stink. Millas looks like a nice player though and I get that Gomes and Harrison don't demand major return. Happy to have more bodies on the farm for sure.

Offline Mattionals

I think it's an ok return for old veteran guys on expiring contracts. Josh Harrison has been worth 1.4 fWAR and Gomes 1 fWAR. They are on expiring contracts. This is a fine return, and like the other deals, probably involved the A's picking up the money too.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Catchers are valuable

Offline welch

To use in trades this winter.

OK. I'll buy that.

I looked at Oakland's Baseball Ref just now. They are desperate for a catcher who can hit. Their 2B is 37 and hitting .257, so Josh H will be an improvement.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
OK. I'll buy that.

I looked at Oakland's Baseball Ref just now. They are desperate for a catcher who can hit. Their 2B is 37 and hitting .257, so Josh H will be an improvement.
Lowrie and Harrison might be a fine platoon.  Each gives the other rest. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline imref

Kris Bryant to the Giants.

Will the last person left at Nats park tonight please turn out the lights?

Offline nfotiu

If I show up with a glove will one of the teams play me?

Offline hohoho

Ruiz is a bad catcher.

Offline imref

it's 4:00 PM /thread

Offline 1995hoo

it's 4:00 PM /thread

Unless it's like the NHL where trade announcements continue to roll in after the actual deadline because the procedural niceties had to be satisfied before the annoucements.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
my sense is this thread will eventually stop attracting posts.