Author Topic: Contenders or Pretenders?  (Read 1362 times)

Online aspenbubba

Contenders or Pretenders?
« Topic Start: July 11, 2019, 07:32:40 AM »
Borrowing a page from Davey and looking at the next series versus Philly " we just need to win the next game ". I'm thinking this series sets the tone for the remainder of the season. Let's win every series. We are sending our Big Three to the bump and Philly is countering with Pivetta and Nola with Sundays game TBD.

Online rileyn

Re: Contenders or Pretenders?
« Reply #1: July 11, 2019, 07:38:21 AM »
Here is a question for the board:

The Braves play 3 at San Diego, and 3 at Milwaukee to open the 2nd half.  Who do we root for?  Do we want Atlanta to beat our wildcard competition because it's going to be tough to make up 6 games in the division, or are we still gunning for the division?

For me, I can't root for the Braves until I know we have no shot at catching them, but realistically, it is probably better for our chances at the WC if they win these games. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2: July 11, 2019, 09:15:54 AM »
Borrowing a page from Davey and looking at the next series versus Philly " we just need to win the next game ". I'm thinking this series sets the tone for the remainder of the season. Let's win every series. We are sending our Big Three to the bump and Philly is countering with Pivetta and Nola with Sundays game TBD.
Looks like Arrieta Sunday. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: July 11, 2019, 09:16:25 AM »
Pretenders. The Nats got to climb back in because they basically played against the dregs of baseball. Easy pickings.

But it's not sustainable with the pen the way it is. You can't expect Scherzer to continue this tear. Eaton isn't going to continue to hit over .300. Rizzo won't trade major prospects away at the deadline, and ownership won't authorize exceed the luxury tax threshold. The pen will lose too many games to hold the WC spot.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #4: July 11, 2019, 09:18:53 AM »
Looks like Arrieta Sunday. 

Pray for Robles

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: July 11, 2019, 09:21:00 AM »
Pray for Robles
Does he cry like Frazier when he gets hit by a change up?

Sounds like he should have surgery but will try and pitch through it. Usually not smart.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #6: July 11, 2019, 09:24:06 AM »
Does he cry like Frazier when he gets hit by a change up?

Sounds like he should have surgery but will try and pitch through it. Usually not smart.

Actually, I've never seen Robles upset or angry after a HBP of any sort. At least I don't remember any specific time. He's usually on the bag like within 10 seconds afterwards.

He's like the anti-Harper in that regard

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: July 11, 2019, 09:25:58 AM »
Actually, I've never seen Robles upset or angry after a HBP of any sort. At least I don't remember any specific time. He's usually on the bag like within 10 seconds afterwards.

He's like the anti-Harper in that regard
He’s like anti most of the league.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: July 11, 2019, 09:42:44 AM »

The Braves play 3 at San Diego, and 3 at Milwaukee to open the 2nd half.  Who do we root for?  Do we want Atlanta to beat our wildcard competition because it's going to be tough to make up 6 games in the division, or are we still gunning for the division?

For me, I can't root for the Braves until I know we have no shot at catching them, but realistically, it is probably better for our chances at the WC if they win these games. 
well, we could root for a plague of locusts to descend, but short of that, maybe the best outcome is for a couple of series splits, 3-3 for the Barves, while we take care of business against the Phillies and Os. 

Offline expos1994

« Reply #9: July 11, 2019, 10:16:44 AM »
Well they're pretty good. And it took em awhile to find their identity but they found it. Honestly I think it was Gerrardo Parra that brought it out in them. He changed the attitude almost the day he arrived. Not to mention he's contributed in his limited role on the field too.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #10: July 11, 2019, 12:06:05 PM »
It’s not a 90 win team as constructed. Even with a better start. Bullpen is still weak and the lineup has too many holes. There are only a couple of lineup positions that are better than the league average.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #11: July 11, 2019, 01:10:32 PM »
Every series people say "this is the season". I don't even care about single series. Let's look at least at a 10 game stretch.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #12: July 11, 2019, 01:24:59 PM »
It’s not a 90 win team as constructed. Even with a better start. Bullpen is still weak and the lineup has too many holes. There are only a couple of lineup positions that are better than the league average.

Not sure that's true. The two headed catcher position has 14 home runs and 58 RBI. Gomes is only hitting .211 but Suzuki is hitting .270. Together they're close to the production of say a Bryce Harper.
Between Adams, Zim and half of Howie at first base they have 20 HR, 72 rbi, Since a bad start Dozier is hitting for average and power 14 home runs 33 RBI. Add on Howie's other half and together they have 20 home runs and 57 RBI.
Turner and Rendon are above average. The out field is good with Soto, an improving Robles and Eaton. The team is deep and has power.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #13: July 11, 2019, 01:34:01 PM »
Rumor has it that Chrissie Hynde will extend an offer to Zimm in the off-season...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #14: July 11, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »
Yeah, the lineup to me has become a non-issue. Since May 1 Dozier has an .832 OPS. Gomes is a total 0 but Suzuki makes up it for mostly. If Gomes continues to stink up the place I believe Martinez needs to go 4-for-1 in terms of playing time or at least 7 of 9 or something. Can't keep going 50/50.

Bullpen is still terrible but it's reverted to just "bad" from "historically horrible." The starting rotation coming into form makes up for it, too.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #15: July 11, 2019, 01:51:37 PM »
Rumor has it that Chrissie Hynde will extend an offer to Zimm in the off-season...
Stop your sobbing?  My City was gone? Middle of the road? Brass in pocket? Kid?  Message of Love? Precious?

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #16: July 11, 2019, 01:59:36 PM »
Wonder how we’re doing against the competition when they’re throwing their #1 and #2 starters against us this year??? That’s normally a pretty good indicator as to whether you are a contender or pretender.

HERE COME THE NATS BABY!!!  :woop: :panic: :woop:

Offline Scrapple

« Reply #17: July 11, 2019, 02:08:50 PM »

That’s a great question. Especially since the Braves will essentially win out in the last ten days of the season versus the scrubs.
 I will say this, If the Phillies don’t make the playoffs, I’ll be happy.   :crackup:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #18: July 11, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »
Yeah, the lineup to me has become a non-issue. Since May 1 Dozier has an .832 OPS. Gomes is a total 0 but Suzuki makes up it for mostly. If Gomes continues to stink up the place I believe Martinez needs to go 4-for-1 in terms of playing time or at least 7 of 9 or something. Can't keep going 50/50.

Bullpen is still terrible but it's reverted to just "bad" from "historically horrible." The starting rotation coming into form makes up for it, too.
The lineup is weak. Dozier is cooling off. Parra has cooled off. Suzuki only plays once a week. First base is below average. They’ve been winning the last couple weeks due to pitching.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #19: July 11, 2019, 02:47:21 PM »
The lineup is weak. Dozier is cooling off. Parra has cooled off. Suzuki only plays once a week. First base is below average. They’ve been winning the last couple weeks due to pitching.

Dozier's last 10 games - .947 OPS
Parra is a bench player.
Suzuki got some time off from July 1-3 but played the 4th, 5th & 6th, starting 2 of those games. He gets at least 3 a week routinely.
Adams has a 95 OPS+ and Howie has a 137 OPS+. Combined it isn't below-average offensively (though Howie has not been there all year obviously). We'll see how Zimm does.

Starting pitching has carried us the last few weeks but the lineup is fine. Soto is a force. Rendon is a force. Turner is completely solid at SS. Eaton has been hitting at his career norms, which is a little better than average by OPS+ (since June 1, he has an .810 OPS). Not concerned about our ability to score runs. Our weakest points are CF & 1B (unless Gomes is catching), and in CF Robles is mostly fine/acceptable and 1B can be really great at times.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #20: July 11, 2019, 02:56:01 PM »
Dozier's last 10 games - .947 OPS
Parra is a bench player.
Suzuki got some time off from July 1-3 but played the 4th, 5th & 6th, starting 2 of those games. He gets at least 3 a week routinely.
Adams has a 95 OPS+ and Howie has a 137 OPS+. Combined it isn't below-average offensively (though Howie has not been there all year obviously). We'll see how Zimm does.

Starting pitching has carried us the last few weeks but the lineup is fine. Soto is a force. Rendon is a force. Turner is completely solid at SS. Eaton has been hitting at his career norms, which is a little better than average by OPS+ (since June 1, he has an .810 OPS). Not concerned about our ability to score runs. Our weakest points are CF & 1B (unless Gomes is catching), and in CF Robles is mostly fine/acceptable and 1B can be really great at times.
Average is 4.8 runs per game. Nats are 4.9. They are average at best. I expect them to cool off second half. Zimm is back. Eaton will cool off. As will Rendon. Need the pen to improve.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #21: July 11, 2019, 03:33:30 PM »
Stop your sobbing?  My City was gone? Middle of the road? Brass in pocket? Kid?  Message of Love? Precious?

Middle of the Road...should be the Nats anthem...

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #22: July 11, 2019, 05:11:10 PM »
Middle of the Road...should be the Nats anthem...

I've always enjoyed My City Was Gone. In fact I hear it every day around noon.  ;)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #23: July 11, 2019, 10:39:27 PM »
The Nats have invested hundreds of millions of dollars into starting pitching. Why is it a bad thing that the pitching is carrying them?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: July 11, 2019, 10:54:45 PM »
The Nats have invested hundreds of millions of dollars into starting pitching. Why is it a bad thing that the pitching is carrying them?
Someone asserted that it’s a 90-95 win team. It’s not.

It may be enough to squeeze into a wild card. But they are 6 games behind the Braves. A team with a much better lineup but weaker starting pitching.